Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Racing in the street. Springsteen .
  • oldfart

Just been listening to this .Can't get any better .Oh except for Sandy ,Jungleland ,Glory Days .Thunder Road ,Born to run ,Badlands .Darkness on the …… I know i know enough already .(apologies if your not a fan )

surfer
    Free Member

Darkness on the edge of town one of my all time favourite albums.

Happy memories!!!!

Prophet2
    Free Member

Best album for me has to be Tunnel Of Love, not so happy memories!!!

But yes Racing in the Streets, topnotch.

sc-xc

would be Wil, Innocent & E Street Shuffle for me, although best song is Thunder Road, version from start of Live 75-85 with just voice/piano/harmonica…

He is so far removed from the types of music I listen to, but have been going to see him on most visits to the UK since July 87 at Bramall Lane – he does a great show.

oldfart

used to have a copy on an old c90 cassette in the car .had a fair bit of use!

Pigface
    Free Member

My favourite Springsteen song

Hadge
    Free Member

I shudder when I listen to The River when he sings it live on his album. He tells a story of his days growing up, fighting with his dad and when he failed to get into the army. It's amazing and then he plays The River, wow. Superb.

epicsteve
    Free Member

There is a fantastic live version of Racing in the Street on Live 1975-1985. Listening to it via iTunes just now but might dig out the vinyl and fire up the LP12 later.

Hadge
    Free Member

My LP12's been running all morning to the sounds of Springsteen 😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

I love my LP12 more than I love my bikes – even my Epic. It will never, ever be sold.

Hadge
    Free Member

I said that when I got mine in 83 but sadly I did. Now got another, quite new with black ash plinth, Origin Live Silver arm and MOSE/Hercules PSU and it's fantstic. Even got the kids into vinyl now lol

epicsteve
    Free Member

Mine is a quite an early one (serial number just over 1100) still with the original SME arm and Shure cartridge.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Racing in The Street, Edinburgh 1981 – still come over all emotional thinking about it. Got a cassette of the show up in the attic, but no cassette player – damn.
    I've heard tell Emmylou Harris released a live version way back which is supposed to be rather special. Never been able to track it down. Anyone heard it?

CountZero

Love the first three albums, Asbury Park, Wild…innocent…, Born to Run. They have a real poetry, that seems to have been lost later. Spirits in the Night, Jungleland, Born to Run, probably my favourites. Possibly. Never gonna stop loving those three albums, anyhoo.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Emmylou Harris released a live version way back which is supposed to be rather special. Never been able to track it down. Anyone heard it?

No. But iTunes turns up this on an album called Songbird. I prefer Bruce's version.

Having looked at the Amazon link. £58!!!

sockpuppet

new york city serenade is one of my favourites, but racing in the street ranks pretty high too

[shuffles off to boot up spotify]

grievoustim
    Free Member

I saw Gillian Welsh and David Rawlings do a live cover of "Racing in the Street" a few years ago (with David Rawlings singing the lead) – that was pretty special

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Love the first three albums, Asbury Park, Wild…innocent…, Born to Run

Anything produced in "modern times" would, of course, be rubbish….FFS 🙄

sockpuppet

Love the first three albums, Asbury Park, Wild…innocent…, Born to Run

Anything produced in "modern times" would, of course, be rubbish….FFS

it's not the difference in production, it's the difference in character of the albums. modern has nothing to do with it.

catshoe
    Free Member

Fuelie heads and a hurst on the floor. Wow.

Pigface
    Free Member

Grievoustim is that available anywhere? Would love to hear that.

Shak47

Huge fan of his early work, up to the River, left it all behind post Born in the USA. I liked the Tunnel of Love album and then the Seeger sessions kind of drew me back a bit.
    Bought a ticket for the Hampden gig a few weeks back, not sure if I would go, but made the effort, approaching the stadium I could heear Bruce launch into badlands and that was it, hairs on the back of the head start standing up, involuntary reaction wasnt expecting that having refined my musicla tastes over the years. Nearly cried when he started singing "Spanish Johnny drove in from the underworld last night",wasnt expecting that yin. Best gig in years, couldnt stop singing, still remembered all the words from when I was a youngster, which was a surprise as well.
    Got all the old albums out when I got home, parked the musical snobbery on the shelf for a bit, although when the big country 12" of wonderland hit the decks I realised I might have went too far..

shooterman

God have mercy on the man who's livin' in his own skin and can't stand the company.

Tunnel of Love is what drew me to Springsteen. I love the short story Americana of his songs.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Huge fan of his early work

plus 1

CountZero

deadlydarcy's just being an arse and sniping at me 'cos he seems to think that I only like 'old music', and anything produced in the last twenty years is rubbish, which is, of course utter b*ll*cks. Either that, or 'cos I've posted up lists of bands that I like on other threads he thinks I'm being an elitist snob. Which is again utter b*ll*cks. I just love music, and discovering new stuff while loving stuff from the past. Springsteen's lyrics on the later albums are more political, and seem to have lost that wonderful poetic storytelling quality that that the first three albums had. The lyrics just don't seem to 'flow' quite as well, rhymes seem a bit forced to me. If deadly thinks I live in the past musically then perhaps he'd like to check out The Ghost Is Dancing, Lightning Dust, Arkells, Young Galaxies, The Bicycles, Hidden Cameras, Le Bus, and Wintersleep, all of which I heard on the radio one day last week. Quality stuff. Just like Springsteen, in fact. Or Tom Waits, for that matter, another master of the story in a song: just check out 'What's he building in there?', or 'Small Change', or 'Bottom of the World'. Amazing stuff.

sc-xc

I completely agree with you about Bruce Springsteen, CountZero. I have listened to most albums, but they just seem so bland when compared to the first three (with the obvious exception of Nebraska, which is fantastic)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Racing in the street. Springsteen .’ is closed to new replies.