Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Racing 29er suggestions
  • H
    Free Member

Good evening!

I am thinking of buying a new 29er for racing next season. I started racing at the start of this season using a 2nd hand 26″ xtc and think its too small for me being 6ft 4″. I have never ridden a 29er and would like to try one out before buying. Does anyone have any recomendations?

I have been looking at the Scott Scale Pro 29er but it seems they are widely unavailable. Has anyone had any use of the Ebay Chinese carbon frames?

Thanks, Henry

TooTall
    Free Member

If you are near Bristol you can try a 21″ Scandal if you want. Great bike.

hugor
    Free Member

Niner Jet

belugabob
    Free Member

I’m slightly confused by your question, as it infers that there are no 26 inch bikes that are big enough for you.

Having said that, I have a 29er and love it ( It’s a Franken-bike, and not a race setup, so I’m not going to recommend it for you)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Scale 29 premium this year, awesome bike. like you say the pro model which is a lot more wallet friendly is hard to track at the moment but the new influx of 2012 bikes should sort that.

H
    Free Member

Thanks very much for the offer TooTall but im quite a way from Bristol.

The 21″ Carbon XTC I have is the largest size Giant make in 26″ wheels. I am sure I could get a larger 26″ wheel frame but Ive seen a large number of smaller racers using 29ers so though I would look into the 29er options.

The Scott Pro model seems very good value, although not in stock anywhere! Does anyone have an indication of when the 2012 bikes will start appearing?

Cheers, Henry

bikerbruce
    Free Member

im going 29er racing next year…scott for me

will
    Free Member

I’m also looking at getting a new 29er race bike.

I’ll either be getting a Giant XTC 29er or a Giant XTC 29er carbon depending on prices and avalibility!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I’m not 6’4ft, but do have 35″ inside leg. I always thought 26″ just didn’t fit. 29er solved all the size issues. I went for a Specialized Stumpy Comp @ around £2.2K. Wanted Cannondale Flash, but Cannondale for some reason seemed very slow in releasing them. V.happy with the Stumpy. Also look at Orbea.

clubber
    Free Member

Very happy with my 29er but then I’m also happy with my 26″ bikes too and I’m taller than you. Buy the right bike, not a wheel size (though tbh if I was racing I’d go for a 29er as I do reckon it’s a faster race bike)

epo-aholic
    Free Member

ebay chinese frames = on-one frames

or hang-fire for the lurcher…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC Pedalforce “imported” those carbon ebay frames?

Njee20 had one for a while and seemed to like it?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Scott tend to ship around sept usually.

Having said that I’ve just seen in the flesh a Giant XTC Advanced 29er, that is also a very nice looking bit of kit…

Alejandro
    Free Member

I’m slightly confused by your question, as it infers that there are no 26 inch bikes that are big enough for you.

*implies 😉

slowjo
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles – and how much were they? (The Giants…..)

will
    Free Member

Blazin saddles – also interested in the xtc spec and costs!!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

No idea, it wasn’t mine. Just a bike mrs BS is transporting to Europe for one of the team riders. I doubt it’ll be cheap though looking at it!

boxelder

blazin saddles – I mailed you about some wheels. Still for sale?

H
    Free Member

Thanks everyone! Seems there is quite a range available. Always been a fan of Giants so will try to find out more 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Boxelder- sorry non left for now…

will
    Free Member

I’m guessing the uk 2012 Giants will be similar to the 2011 us version. If that’s the case and the price is to be believed then it’s looking likely!

belugabob
    Free Member

implies 😉
    [/quote]

Nice catch!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Racing 29er suggestions’ is closed to new replies.