Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Raceface X-type bottom brackets – any good?
  • orena45

Always gone with Shimano but thinking about something different.

Can’t afford Hope so just wondering what the X-type bbs are like? Seems bearings are replaceable like Hope, but cheaper bb cost.

Any good?

stevied
    Free Member

Mine lasted about 3 months maximum. I think they are not rated very highly. Get a Shimano from rose bikes in Germany….

composite
    Free Member

The one I had was garbage. Only used XT and SLX since and I don’t see any reason not to continue using shimano.

orena45

Fair enough,cheers folks. Will stick with Shimano in that case 😀

Northwind

Mine was pisspoor but allegedly they’ve redesigned the seals and changed the grease since then. On the bright side at least it’s Shimano-compatible, not like bloomin Truvativ.

sonik
    Free Member

mine’s fine and has been for 5+ months!!

mrmoofo

mine was rubbish – and a pain in the arse to remove , as well …

zbonty

Pure pants. Mine seized solid over night after a damp ride. This was about 4 years ago.

vincienup
    Free Member

They were redesigned with new seals and better grease a few years ago. I believe the early ones were truly shocking and are well remembered by many.
    I think they also come in a variety of grades (XC/DH/ etc …)
    I’ve had 2011/12 XC xtypes in three bikes and have had no issues unlike a GXP which became very stiff after some properly wet stuff.
    I think it’s one of those things you need to try.
    The one in my commuter has several thousand miles on it of mixed commute plus off road use.
    To be honest for the 14 quid or so you should be paying its hard to fault that, although I’d understand someone being upset after a ride or two.
    As with all external bb’s, a properly faced shell is all important – but that’s a given.
    Not sure about the replaceable bearings though. I’ve seen some tutorials on putting Enduro bearings in but they all involve ‘modification’. At the price I’d consider these disposable and not bother…

orena45

Ended up getting a new SLX/XT bb brand new off Absolute Cycles on EBay for £18 inc. P&P. Ordered yesterday, arrived today so happy with that 😀

JRTG
    Free Member

500 miles and that’s it, don’t bother and get a shimano!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I know it’s too late now, but mine have always been pretty good. I’m even running one now and it’s not seized or killed me yet.

I did have a Deore one and that was truely shocking. I kid you not, but three wetish rides and it seized. My current Saint one has lasted fourteen months so far and is still really smooth. The XT ones I have had lasted well too….I won’t be tight again and will always spend the extra to get better than Deore.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Raceface X-type bottom brackets – any good?’ is closed to new replies.