Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Washing machine not cleaning clothes
  • Bunnyhop

Garments came out of our machine this morning with brown marks (drum print), so I ended up washing them all again. This has happened several times now and it’s not pretty on white bedding.

It’s a miele machine and the rubber bit of the drum seems to collect water and grime (guessing from all the mtbing clothes I wash). I clean this out every other wash now.

So later I put on a full cycle without contents on a high temp, also thoroughly cleaned out the powder dispenser.

What’s a girl to do?

crikey
    Free Member

You need a wife.

HTH.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

1- Powder. Not gel or liquid.
    2- Bio powder that is. Not non – bio.
    3- Highest temp.
    4- Run empty or with whites you dont care about.

Repeat once a month or so to be sure.

scaredypants

there was a great comment on here years ago about a repair guy who came to fix a machine and the lady of the house queried either need for repairing a newish machine or the price of the repair.

answer: “talk to your husband; he’s the one who’s ****ed it”

SO the answer is to stop washing dirty things in it, obviously 😀

Bunnyhop

SO the answer is to stop washing dirty things in it, obviously

I like this comment a lot 😀

Thanks couldashouldawoulda, have been using powder, however it’s the green non bio variety and also to be green on a fairly low temp. So will once a month blast it out.

Murray

Bleach and a boil wash. You need to kill off the bugs living on the detergent build up.

lasty
    Free Member

^^^^ And when you do the boil wash, feel the glass and check the heater is working 😉

footflaps

Bleach and a boil wash. You need to kill off the bugs living on the detergent build up.

Not as effective as white wine vinegar which will dissolve the soap scum very quickly. Spray it on the rubber seal, put some in all the drawer containers and throw half a bottle in the drum and put on the longest wash cycle. Washing machine will be like new.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes it needs a really hot cycle. Modern low-temperature washes don’t work and dirt lingers.

eskay

I had this the other day. The coin trap was clear but there was a mutilated one pound coin stuck in the drain pipe to the coin trap. The dirty water wasn’t draining quickly enough and that resulted in dirty washing. It ruined an entire load of white washing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 for a hot wash cycle.
    Might be a bearing going as well, ours left dirty grease marks, but it was quite noisy on spin.

teef
    Free Member

I tried this once – was like putting bubble bath in the machine – bubbles came out of everywhere.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Are you in a hard water area bh? Using descaler could help. Plus I was using the recommended quantity* of powder. The machine got gunked up, the repairman told me it worked just as well on less, about half as much. It does too.

*It must be true, it says so right here on the box. The outflow pipe was nearly solid with stuck on powder.

alfabus
    Free Member

White vinegar and the hottest wash it’ll do 🙂

footflaps

Bleach and a boil wash.

Bleach doesn’t dissolve the soap scum, it just lightens it a bit. You need to use white wine vinegar to remove it.

Bunnyhop

Brilliant advice chaps.

slowoldgit – we’re in a soft water area, so not too bad.

The hot cycle I tried yesterday seems to have helped, so in a few weeks I’m going to plunge in with the white wine vinegar.
    Must get those whites whiter than white, otherwise what will the neighbours think?

globalti
    Free Member

Any chance of a pic of those, er, whites hung out on the washing line?

Just so we can check for whiteness, obviously…. 😛

BadlyWiredDog

I would jet wash the inside of the machine and the kitchen while you’re at it. Wear a clothes peg on your nose to stop water going up it and make sure the cat is inside a sealed plastic bag to keep it dry or use a tumble drier afterwards. Surely some of your vaunted local independent village shops will sell some sort of traditional washing machine remedy made from ground up roots and nettles? Or you could use washing soda, which works for me. 😉

emma
    Free Member

Or is it the bearings leaking?

Murray

The bleach is to kill the mould (I know I had mould, the rubber had little black colonies growing on it). It certainly causes a load of unpleasant gunk to be spat out by the machine!

White wine vinegar sounds reasonable too.

Bunnyhop

globalti – if you mean smalls, they’re all floral.

BWD – At least I don’t put my chain lube in the food pantry/larder cupboard 😯

br
    Free Member

clean out the filter?

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – At least I don’t put my chain lube in the food pantry/larder cupboard

\

Neither do I. It’s sat inside one of the saucepans to stop it falling on the food. I’m not completely feral you know…

steve-g
    Free Member

Empty the filter, thats probably blocked and causing the stains

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Washing machine not cleaning clothes’ is closed to new replies.