Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Race Bike + lots of spacers + unslammed stem = Audax Bike?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m looking to get another bike for occasional club runs and occasional big long days (Fred Whitton, EdDales etc). I’m not much of a roadie and have a slightly dodgy back so don’t want a very race orientated bike – I want something comfortable. BUT there are some lovely looking (and cheap) bikes about such as the Rose Carbon ProRoseCarbonPro
    The key difference that I can see between race and audax/sportive bikes seems to be the length of the head tube. Am I right in thinking I can simulate a longer head tube by just leaving the spacers in and/or flipping the stem? Clearly I will look like a complete punter if I do that, but I’m not bothered about that, I am a punter.

What other differences are there between the racier models and the comfier models?

Should I buy the high spec Carbon Fibre Rose for £1500 with Ultegra etc or spend the money on a slightly less bling purpose built audax bike?

cheers

RealMan
    Free Member

Just because it’s got a short headtube or race geometry doesn’t make it uncomfortable, mostly it depends on what you’re used to.

Race bikes are generally stiffer, lighter, more aero, better handling, etc. But don’t have room for bigger tyres, mudguards, racks, and the like.

damitamit
    Free Member

An audax bike would typically have longer chain stays and headtube, but also space for full guards and rack fittings. Saying that you see all sorts audax events.

The difference between my road bikes and audax bikes is just the saddle to bar drop. They all have the same horizontal top tube.

My “audax” bike is this:

But did a 600k on this (with a carradice on the back) the other week and didnt die:

scotroutes

If you want something comfier then look to be fitting wider, higher volume tyres too. That could rule out many of the sportier options. If you are unsure then try to pick up something second hand to assess how your back is going to handle it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Just because it’s got a short headtube or race geometry doesn’t make it uncomfortable, mostly it depends on what you’re used towhat actually fits you ignoring regardless of what you think fits you (while thinking you look cool slammed).”

mugsys_m8

damitamit,

there doesn’t look to be any difference in saddle to bar drop between those pics?

agree 100% with trailrat. You will be most efficient on whatever fits you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Race Bike + lots of spacers + unslammed stem = Audax Bike?’ is closed to new replies.