Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • R4 now. List of names being read out….
  • zaskar
    Free Member

Respect to them and their families.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

These young brave men and women have made britian what it is today, we owe them all so much respect.

Respect to them and their families.

Indeed very brave young men and women. And without any doubt it’s all a sad and tragic loss of life.

But let’s get this absolutely straight ……. they didn’t die for me.

They died for Tony Blair so that he could help his buddy in the White House get his hands on Iraqi oil.

Yes, we owe them all so much respect.

We also owe to them and their families, to do what we can to ensure that Tony Blair and all those responsible are held accountable.

Failure to do so would suggest a lack of respect.

I believe that Military Families Against the War might agree with me.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Yeah, and those who stormed the normandy beaches in 1944, didn’t die for you either did they? all done for Churchills ego

or the thousands that went over the top at the Somme, those b*stards Kitchener and Haig did it for sh*ts and giggles, and anyway, it should teach them right for volunteering in the first place.

Let alone those who battled their way back over the Irawaddy to prop up the empire, or the ones who stood against the human waves of Chinese and Korean troops to prop up Americas hatred of all things communist…

Or how about the gullible sods who died for Maggie’s sense of self importance and the chance of Southern Atlantic oil rights, nothing to do with the islanders who had been invaded and locked up in a village hall at all was it, they didnt die for you did they

🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

These young brave men and women have made britian what it is today

I think that’s a fatuous statement. All of the people make a country what it is. Particularly people now have little effect on the accumulated heritage.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Let’s just deal with one war at a time – shall we Zulu-Eleven ?

No they didn’t die for me.

In fact, in the latest interviews Tony Blair has given concerning the reasons for going to war, he doesn’t even mention WMDs, preferring instead to claim that we went to Iraq because Saddam Hussein was a nasty dictator who was nasty to the Iraqi people.

So our troops, according to Blair, died for the Iraqi people – and not apparently, for me then.

Which surprises me because people seeking asylum from brutal governments (including pre-war Iraqis) don’t appear to be getting that level of commitment – apart from the loss of life, this war has hit the £1bn-a-year mark.

Which makes me think that something other than concern for the plight of the Iraqi people was the motivation.

I suggest that you read this :

Rose Gentle: Why did my son die in Iraq?

Quote :

Even before Gordon went to Iraq, I wondered why he was there. We where told it was for WMD, but there were no WMD. Gordon was killed on the day of the handover, but I have to know the true reason my son was sent to Iraq. So many lives have been lost, we have been told so many different reasons why they were there. My family and other families just keep asking one question: why? Why did we go into Iraq?

I am proud of Gordon and the rest of our armed forces. But we are only asking the government for one thing: to have that inquiry, release the minutes so we can all put our minds to rest. “

We owe to her and her son to tell her why.

Saying that “he died for Britain” isn’t good enough.

mrchrispy

there was a program on over christmas that remembered the recent fallen.
    i made a point of watching is all even though it made me cry like a baby begining to end. it was so very sad.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

And therein lies the point Ernie – what exactly was the direct threat to UK residents in:

1990 Kuwait
    1982 South Atlantic
    1950 Korea
    1942 Burma
    1939 Poland
    1914 France

All these wars had underlying reasons and motives that had nothing to do with directly protecting the people of the United Kingdom – In no way am I a supporter of the lies told to justify the invasion of Iraq, however saying that they didn’t die for you is simplistic and irrelevant

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

” Our brave men and women risk injury and death while our government continues an unjust war for political ends. We say quite simply this is wrong.

Military families accept that there can be fatalities. Our argument is that this war was not sanctioned by the United Nations and troops have been injured or killed whilst on active service and not protecting their country from the threat of invasion or attack for which they took their Oath of Allegiance. “

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

not protecting their country from the threat of invasion or attack for which they took their Oath of Allegiance

But thats not the Oath:

I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me

And as I say to you, the same argument applies to pretty much every campaign since the Napoleonic war, that they died not to protect the realm or its citizens, but as pawns in a global game of Realpolitik over political ideology, money and resources. War is simply an extension of politics by other means.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You best give your wisdom to the families of British soldiers who died in Iraq Zulu-Eleven.

Tell them that whatever reasons politicians might give for going to war, it’s always justifiable – whether or not the war is legal. Never ever suggest that politicians are wrong, and that the soldiers didn’t die for Britain.

I’m sure that it will make then feel a whole lot better when you explain it all to them. Here is how to contact them :

http://www.mfaw.org.uk/index.php?option=com_contact&catid=12&Itemid=3

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

But the argument is with the politicians that sent them there, not the troops that died in service of their country having taken the queens shilling, they died for you and they died for your country in just the same way that all the others that have passed before them and all the others that tragically and inevitably will!

Thats the way it works, you realise that you take them as a whole, as once you start distinguishing and saying that they didn’t die for you then you cant stop, the logical extension of your argument results in you mourning the spitfire pilots, but not the pilots who bombed Dresden (a war crime?) – you mourn the troops who died in the fields of France, but not the North African desert, you pick and choose the campaign you agree with and you castigate the rest, who by no choice of their own die in a minefield in Bosnia rather than fighting the Soviet armored column they spent their whole career waiting for but never came.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you mourn the troops who died in the fields of France, but not the North African desert

What are you – a complete fcukwit ? Don’t **** tell me that I don’t mourn the troops who have died in Iraq – did you read my post ?

uplink
    Free Member

Oh dear – this thread has degenerated into personal abuse already

guido

I would have some sympathy if they were conscripted. But they took a job like all of us do.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

this thread has degenerated into personal abuse already

Already ? This thread was 3 days old before Zulu-Eleven decided to make his moronic statements suggesting that someone who had said, quote :

Indeed very brave young men and women. And without any doubt it’s all a sad and tragic loss of life.

Yes, we owe them all so much respect.“

Was not in fact ‘mourning’ the loss of life and was instead ‘castigating’ the soldiers.

And claiming that, quote :

the argument is with the politicians that sent them there, not the troops that died

Even though that is exactly what I **** said. And was the whole point of my post.

It is as valid today to remember, as we pay our respect that those young men and women who have died in Iraq, how they were cynically used to satisfy the personal ambitions of a politician with his own agenda, as it is valid when we pay our respect to the Glorious Dead on Remembrance Sunday, to remember and never forget how young men in the prime of their lives, were cynically and senselessly used as cannon fodder by ambitious and callous generals, also with their own agendas.

No one would argue (except maybe Zulu-Eleven) that the final episode of Black Adder, which was quite possibly one of the most poignant and moving moments in recent broadcasting history, was showing a lack of respect by reminding everyone of the tragic, appalling and senseless loss of life of so many young men.

Yes uplink it is a highly emotive subject and not least for me, as I did what I could in the run up to the Iraqi War to show my opposition to the inevitable and senseless carnage – which was also undoubtedly going to affect young British military personnel. Including, attending the largest peace-time demonstration in British history. What were you doing Zulu-Eleven ?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ernie – the comment I took exception to, and its more than clear above thats what I took exception to – was that of:

But let’s get this absolutely straight ……. they didn’t die for me.

Well, they did, they died from decisions made by your government, you may want to distance yourself from those decisions, but they still died for you

Tell you what Ernie – who did you vote for in the last three elections? Because if you voted Labour before or after 2003 then you are responsible!

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

It is the Soldier,
    not the reporter, who has given us freedom of press.

It is the Soldier,
    not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier,
    not the campus organiser, who gives us freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier
    who salutes the flag,
    who serves beneath the flag,
    and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
    who allows the protester to burn the flag.

TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE SERVIN FOR US!! NOT THE COUNTRY!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It is the Soldier,

It is the Soldier,
    not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier,
    not the campus organiser, who gives us freedom to demonstrate.

I wonder if there’s any evidence at all for this remarkable assertion ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

simon, do please f*ck the f*ck off.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m with Simon; soldiers, for all their selflessness, for all their sacrifice and bravery do what they are told, whether that is right or wrong.
    To suggest that they are instrumental in actively securing the freedoms of society is, perhaps, going too far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

To suggest that they are instrumental in actively securing the freedoms of society is, perhaps, going too far.

1914-1918
    1939-1945

Now, do f*ck off.

crikey
    Free Member

Oh, I see your point. Very well argued…. 🙄

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

simon and crikey i some how cant imagine either one of you would have any where near the bravery that those men and women have.
    easy to say what your saying whilst sitting at home isnt it

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simon and crikey i some how cant imagine either one of you would have any where near the bravery that those men and women have.

I totally agree, but being brave does not make one a defender of freedom, and I think many soldiers etc have contempt for civilians

1914-1918
    1939-1945

but those were fought by conscripts ie ordinary people

uplink
    Free Member

Are you telling me that the thousands of men who regularly flew missions with Bomber Command during WW2, where the chances of survival was around 50/50 did so only because they were told to?

Can you even begin to imagine what it must have been like to know there was a very good chance you’d be killed tonight? I can’t

uplink
    Free Member

but those were fought by conscripts ie ordinary people

Exactly how many soldiers of WW1 do you think were conscripts?

1,000,000 men volunteered in the 2nd half of 1914 alone

crikey
    Free Member

I’m not, and I suspect Simon is not, questioning the bravery and dedication of anyone in the Armed Forces. I have relatives who served and are serving still.

I am questioning the idea that members of the Armed Forces have acted in a way to obtain the freedoms described above.

I’m certain that they have an important role in protecting those freedoms, but as I said, that is intrinsically linked with the wishes of the Government of the day.

Take a wider, less UK-focused view, of armies; think of the number of times they have been involved in the suppression of exactly those rights and freedoms.

Then tell me why it could never happen here…

Everyone in the Forces has my greatest respect and gratitude, but social reformers they are not.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Simon

No they weren’t

Conscription was not introduced till 1916, we fought for two years entirely with a volunteer army.

as for WW2, the core of the British army was expanded from the standing volunteer army, and hundreds of thousands of volunteers from all over the Empire joined at the outbreak of hostilities.

mrmo
    Free Member

a few years ago i decided to go to Calais and see where a relative was buried, Sangatte is only a small cemetery, only 1350.

The abiding memory is what was the f***ing point. So many dead and yet within 25 years it would start again. To be honest it never stops. Humanities single greatest achievement is killing. Our greatest developments have been in time of war.

Deep down we don’t remember, we never stop to think why, war is always a game played by politicians using real peoples lives as cannon fodder. It is about prestige and power. Always has been always will be. It is sad that real people are sacrificed to the ego of others.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

TOMMY

I went into a public-‘ouse to get a pint o’ beer,
    The publican ‘e up an’ sez, ‘We serve no red-coats ‘ere.’
    The girls be’ind the bar they laughed and giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again, an’ to myself sez I:
    Oh, it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ ‘Tommy, go away’:
    But it’s ‘Thank you, Mister Atkins,’ when the band begins to play –
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    Oh, it’s ‘Thank you, Mister Atkins,’ when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
    They gave a drunk civilian room, but ‘adn’t none for me;
    They sent me to the gallery or round the music-‘alls,
    But when it comes to fightin’, Lord! they’ll shove me in the stalls!
    For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ ‘Tommy, wait outside’;
    But it’s ‘Special train for Atkins’ when the trooper’s on the tide –
    The troopship’s on the tide, my boys, the troopship’s on the tide,
    Oh, it’s ‘Special train for Atkins’ when the trooper’s on the tide.

Yes, makin’ mock o’ uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an’ they’re starvation cheap;
    An’ hustlin’ drunken soldiers when they’re goin’ large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin’ in full kit.
    Then it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ ‘Tommy, ‘ow’s yer soul?’
    But it’s ‘Thin red line of ‘eroes’ when the drums begin to roll –
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    Oh, it’s ‘Thin red line of ‘eroes when the drums begin to roll.

We aren’t no thin red ‘eroes, nor we aren’t no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An’ if sometimes our conduck isn’t all your fancy paints,
    Why, single men in barricks don’t grow into plaster saints;
    While it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that , an’ ‘Tommy, fall be’ind,’
    But it’s ‘Please to walk in front, sir,’ when there’s trouble in the wind –
    There’s trouble in the wind, my boys, there’s trouble in the wind,
    Oh, it’s ‘Please to walk in front, sir,’ when there’s trouble in the wind.

You talk o’ better food for us, an’ schools, an’ fires, an’ all:
    We’ll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
    Don’t mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
    The Widow’s Uniform is not the soldier-man’s disgrace.
    For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ ‘Chuck him out, the brute!’
    But it’s ‘Saviour of ‘is country’ when the guns begin to shoot;
    An’ it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ anything you please;
    An’ Tommy ain’t a bloomin’ fool – you bet that Tommy sees!

Written by Rudyard Kipling in 1890 everything changes but it remains the same

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

1,000,000 men volunteered in the 2nd half of 1914 alone

OK, I stand corrected, but still ordinary people, not professional soldiers

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What were you doing Zulu-Eleven ?

I doubt very much, that Labby was out on the streets of London, protesting against his hated New Labour’s plans to invade Iraq, as he totally disagrees with any form of public protest, or civilians exercising their democratic right to free speech in a public place. So, he woon’t have been opposing the planned invasion in any public manner. Probbly too busy watching afternoon TV.

It is the Soldier,

Right, ok, because the soldier sends us images and reports of what’s actually going on, on the front line…

To compare the wars of 1914-18, and 1936-44, with more recent conflicts, is wrong. CFH; lay off SFB. He is expressing his onions, and has some valid points. You’re letting yourself down.

Don’t fool yourselves, that soldiers are dying for this country, for you and me, for ‘freedom’ and ‘democracy’. Since the invasion of Iraq, this country has seen more erosion of freedoms and civil liberties, than praps at any other time in this countries recent history.

and hundreds of thousands of volunteers from all over the Empire joined at the outbreak of hostilities.

You mean, hundreds of thousands of people from occupied countries were more more less press-ganged into joining up? Many, because resisting would have had dire consequences on themselves and their families and communities? You’re telling me, that all those in the Indian, Far Eastern and African regiments willingly agreed to sign up to defend a nation who were their oppressors?

And how long did it take, for Britain to publicly recognise the sacrifice many of these people made, for this nation? Gurkhas, anyone?

Always a bigger picture…

As for bravery; I dare say, in a situation of life or death, many people on here would be forced into acts of desperation; some may risk their own lives, to protect others. To say that soldiers who are sent to fight in some far away land, are ‘braver’ than yer average citizen, is disrespectful to those who simply choose not to be involved in war.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

lay off SFB

no, if you think I’m wrong, say so!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, I meant for CFH to lay off you!

So sad, that so many innocents die, at the whim of megalomaniac despots…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie – the comment I took exception to, and its more than clear

It’s more than clear is that despite all evidence to the contrary, you accused me of ‘not mourning’ those who have died in Iraq. You also accused me of attempting to ‘castigating’ them. I find both suggestions particularly offensive and insulting.

You also suggest to me that “the argument is with the politicians that sent them there, not the troops that died” which I find truly ridiculous as, that is precisely what I have repeatedly said on this thread.

And you can repeat as much as you like your absurd claim that they ‘died for me’ but you cannot change the facts. The facts which are, they were not defending me from the Iraqis, I was not being threatened by the Iraqis, I did not ask or want them to be sent to Iraq, nothing which they were doing in Iraq at the time of their tragic deaths has in anyway enhanced my life, had they not been sent to Iraq I would not be disadvantaged today.

Furthermore no soldier who dies whilst engaged in illegal activities such as an illegal war, dies for me. In the same way as those soldiers who died illegally in the Deepcut Barracks did not die for me.

No Zulu-Eleven, those service men and women who tragically died in Iraq did not die for me. Although I’m sure that Tony Blair would be hugely impressed by your stubborn determination to suggest otherwise.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Fred – thing is, I didn’t vote for the shower of shite that committed us to it!

Is your conscience clear?

disagrees with any form of public protest, or civilians exercising their democratic right to free speech in a public place. So, he woon’t have been opposing the planned invasion in any public manner. Probbly too busy watching afternoon TV.

Actually, if you look back on what I said on that subject, I made it clear that people have right to protest in an organised, peaceful manner – but whining little harpies don’t have a right to freak out when put in their place.
    Actually, when the War protests were happening I was doing something called work, In fact, if I remember rightly, I was testing Relenza at the time, doing something that might do some good for society rather than dancing up and down in the streets shouting down with Tony.

Ernie – read again what I said – it specifically included the words the logical extension of your argument results in

You see, your denial that they died for you on the basis that they were not defending me from the Iraqis, I was not being threatened by the Iraqis Applies just the same if applied to other military campaigns – The Japanese were not threatening anyone in the UK, The Germans were not threatening anyone in the UK in 1939 when they invaded Poland, Noone in Britain was under threat from the Bosnian Serbs, the Argentinian marines, the German army in 1914 – but you don’t get to choose the campaigns that you fight for, nor the place you die – as such they still died in service of your country and therefore they died for you, you cannot pick and choose.

as for illegal war? Sorry, I cannot see any proof that the war was illegal, much as I didnt like it – show me the convictions…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No, I meant for CFH to lay off you!

yes I know. I can read 🙂 I meant CFH is free to criticise me if he wishes, and vice versa.

Kuco

Hopefully the thread will remain repectful. Those wishing to comment on the politics of the situation can easily start a new thread.

Never was going to happen.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I didn’t vote for the shower of shite that committed us to it!

If you vote for someone it doesn’t make you responsible for their actions

tankslapper
    Free Member

Forgotten sons

RIP

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘R4 now. List of names being read out….’ is closed to new replies.