Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick question- Pompino as SSCX bike?
  • pinetree
    Free Member

What are the general opinions on it? any good off-road?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

They’re ok, clearance is a bit tight on the back with 35s, same with the stock fork. A proper CX fork gives more clearance but the stock fork rides nicer IMO.

simondbarnes

Just been out on mine. Has been run fixed with skinny road tyres for the last 8 years or so. I have a new fixie now so thought I’d bung some cross tyres and a freewheel on it. Good fun but I definitely need lower gearing than 46/18!

cookeaa

What makes for good SSCX Gearing generally?

For MTBs I’ve found the Start at 52″ (2:1 on a 26″ wheel) to work, but I’d imagine you’d want to go for somehting a bit harder on a SSCX bike…

warpcow
    Free Member

63″ seems to be the classic (hence 63xc.com I guess). My Pompetamine runs 39:17, which gives something like 61.8″. It feels roughly comparable to my SS MTB with a 2:1 ratio.

I don’t really have anything to compare mine to interms of SSCX, so all I can say is it’s fun. Clearance is tight in the rear though; a 37mm almost touches the seatstay bridge.

benji
    Free Member

I’m currently running 33/17 on my sscx and it’s a nice ratio with enough speed on the flat and capable of getting in and out of hair pin corners and get up the odd hill. Depends if you want to gurn and push or spin and smile.

STATO
    Free Member

Gearing very much depends on terrain, for me 39/18 was a nice gear for a bit of speed on the flat stuff but could get up hills if required. Matched local cross courses well (apart from one, which was too hilly).

Its a good bike, the fork was too stiff for my liking and rode much better with a carbon fork (full carbon reynolds ouzo cx in my case).

The Pomp is not as ‘soft’ as a surly Cross-Check i switched to, for general long rides the CC is nicer. Pomp had the ‘spirit’ for racing tho.

stever
    Free Member

38:16 is a touch lower than 63″, I might be tempted by lower still. I’ve raced local cx and done things like the Marin Trail and Llandegla on that. 35mm tyres fit ok, but might get clogged on a wet, grassy course. But that’s top end size for cx anyway. https://www.flickr.com/photos/steverile/5110377913/

john_l
    Free Member

Racing on 39/18 or 19, depending on the course.

thomthumb
    Free Member

ridden mine a bit and raced once; and didn’t come last.

clearance is tight but workable (especially with a halflink)

gearing. 42:18 for mixed on off. 42:20 for ‘proper’ cross.

would go lower if i wasn’t so restricted by track crank bcd.

front disc is the best upgrade i’ve made. but the pompetamine fork is a lot stiffer than the original.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick question- Pompino as SSCX bike?’ is closed to new replies.