Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Road bikes (front) susceptible to side winds? (slab-sided forks)
  • Kryton57

So, you were riding along on windy exposed descent without holding onto the bars and not wearing a helmet?

You deserved the scare IMO. Get some common sense, throwing all the money in the world at your bike isn’t going to defend you against idiocy of that scale.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Slight aero dish and bladed spokes = kite in strong winds.

If it happens regularly, get a spare set of normal wheels with std spokes and minimum height rims.

Too upright position will lighten the front end.

globalti
    Free Member

I recently test-rode a very light Bianchi with deep rims and found it quite alarming; every time we passed a farm gate the wind blew me across the road as if a big invisible hand was guiding the bike. That’s why, up here in coastal Lancashire, I won’t be buying deep dish rims.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm deep dish
    (dish being the offset between spoke bed and hub flanges and nothing to do with the depth of the rim).

wilburt
    Free Member

What you need to do is post more on an Internet forum that’ll fix it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s not the bike it’s you.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Stop wearing baggies and embrace the Lycra, it’s your shorts acting like sails!

Del

Get some common sense, throwing all the money in the world at your bike isn’t going to defend you against idiocy of that scale.

if it wasn’t so much like kicking a puppy, or too easy, i’d say harsh but fair. 🙂

Kryton57

Perhaps it was a bit harsh, but ive had an accident which resulted in a helmet in two pieces, and Horas an experienced rider so on both counts my sympathy was on the low side.

Imagine what might have happened if he’d come off.

aracer
    Free Member

He might have ripped the bar tape and used that as an excuse for a completely new bike?

simondbarnes

and Horas an experienced rider

Really?

njee20
    Free Member

(dish being the offset between spoke bed and hub flanges and nothing to do with the depth of the rim)

Glad you said it!

Kryton57

simondbarnes – Member
    and Horas an experienced rider
    Really?

I kind of assumed he’d ridden one of those bikes he sells…

davefarmer
    Free Member

The best way to approach strong side winds is to get low on the bike, big gear, push hard, guide the bars, don’t grip them tightly.

And understand that the wind will blow the bike about, just lean into it and pedal harder.

Your weight balance on the bike and way you hold it will affect it’s stability hugely.

taxi25
    Free Member

Or you could sit up with your hands behind you back, that works well I’m told 😆

mudshark
    Free Member

Stop wearing baggies and embrace the Lycra

Hora in lycra? Shudder.

jamj1974

I’ll let the sarcasm wash over me. After all no one who buys a roadbike ever keeps everything that came OEM on it standard and in no way upgraded anything. I imagine every full/complete bike that you bought was kept complete in 100% original condition.

I did on my road bike…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes (front) susceptible to side winds? (slab-sided forks)’ is closed to new replies.