Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • quick one for you open pro or open pro ceramic for year round use ?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

any thoughts ? ta

njee20
    Free Member

Open Pro, they don't wear out that fast and the ceramic rims are SO expensive. If they were that good Ksyriums and such would be ceramic!

firestarter
    Free Member

if cost were not an issue tho are the ceramics much better ?

johnners
    Free Member

If it's mainly for road use then there's not that much point in ceramic, the rims last ages anyway. If they're for a CXer then maybe, but you don't forget you need the special brake pads.

If you're building onto disk hubs then absolutely no point in ceramic whatsoever.

crazy-legs

For road use, normal.
    For CX, ceramic (I've got them on my CX and by God they're good, braking is SO predictable wet or dry)

firestarter
    Free Member

its for road use its part of a swap deal im trying to sort for my ksyrium es wheelset part of it is ceramic rims or normal rims with a dura-ace cassette

crazy-legs

Normal. Ceramic specific brake pads for road calipers are a pain to get hold of whereas for canti brakes on CX they're readily available.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers i was kinda thinking the normal ones its a tough deal to crack lol

njee20
    Free Member

You don't need the ceramic specific pads on Mavic ceramic, it's a smooth finish. In fact I used to find on my Crossmax that using the ceramic pads 'polished' the rims up and they didn't work as well.

I also found that actually the braking in the wet wasn't as good as with normal rims.

I'd definitely get normal rims and the DA cassette, absolutely no contest.

I wouldn't bother with ceramics for CX either FWIW.

firestarter
    Free Member

ygm njee fella

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘quick one for you open pro or open pro ceramic for year round use ?’ is closed to new replies.