Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Quick coffee thread (instant though… so you've been warned!)
  • z1ppy

Haven’t seen a coffee thread on here for a while, the newer members may not even realise that “back in the day” (don’t you know), there used to be a seperate coffee forum!

So as a coffee hater… I just can’t drink it, tea for me BUT the g/f does drink it & loves Starbuck’s Italian Roast. Though she also believe MacDonalds coffee is pretty damned good…

She works a couple of days a week in different offices, so taking instant coffee is useful.
    Can anyone recomend a different (supermarket sold) brand of the same or similar flavour?
    She will drink Nescafe for convenience though has Douwe Egberts as a better instant at home (she has pre-ground stuff for guests)

I had hoped the net would help, but apparently all instants are rubbish: http://www.coffeereview.com/article.cfm?ID=181

wwaswas

My wife likes those little sachets that you can get from Starbucks but there’s anumber of companies doign those now and you canget them from supermarkets too.

Stoner
    Free Member

you can also buy starbucks VIA from waitrose now. A bit cheaper than in Starbuck as it happens.

I keep a pack of sachets in my london bag for use in client offices where otherwise it would be nescafe.

I have tried the kenco thing, but its not nearly as good as the VIA, but the VIA is damned expensive for every day drinking.

EDIT, also yesterday noticed that first great western trolley dollies are using VIA and starbucks branded cups on the trains without buffets

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

Douwe Egberts do a Dark version which has a bit more bite.

Cougar

she also believe MacDonalds coffee is pretty damned good…

To be fair, it is better than it’s got any right to be.

Instant of choice for me these days is Dowe Egberts Dark or Kenco ‘Really Rich’. Kenco do something called ‘Millicano’ which is very similar to the Starbucks VIA outing, it’s kinda like instant coffee with some real coffee waved at it. ‘s pretty good.

Stoner
    Free Member

its that millicano one that doesnt do it for me.

Their really rich comes out better IMO.

z1ppy

(@ Cougar) it may well be… I hate the stuff (unless in a cake, quite surprisingly), I just wanted to make a ‘reference point’.

Cheers for the pointers though

FuzzyWuzzy

Nescafe Alta Rica is the best instant I’ve tried (although not had the Starbucks one that a lot of people recommend). The Millicano stuff is rank

Rickos
    Free Member

Carte Noire is coffee of choice in our house these days. The wife wouldn’t even try anything other than bl00dy Gold Blend until I twisted her arm and she prefers the Carte Noire. Probably not saying much, but still…

GrahamS

Also Nescafe is a Nestle product and therefore the work of the devil. 🙂

momo

Starbucks Via is nice, Thomson use it on their flights now too, Kenco Really Rich is my current favourite instant.

nonk
    Free Member

i got some starbucks via from sainsburys in a little pot a bit like hair gel comes in 26 servings for about six quid i think. would rattle about in her work bag just nicely has a wee spoon in and everything.

derek_starship
    Free Member

+1 for Alta Rica – excellent dark roast flavour for an instant.

That Millicano stuff is shite. Got a sample of it – eugh!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Camping stove and a Moka pot?

convert

Lyons one cup coffee bags. Rich roast are better than original imo. Available at your more discerning supermarket.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Though she also believe MacDonalds coffee is pretty damned good…

As a driver of vans and lorries for four years I was fuelled by McDonald’s coffee. Cheap in comparison to the “big” coffee chains, plenty of parking, one every 5 minutes and clean toilets.

I like that Millicano stuff, when I say like I mean it’s better than the shite that the coffee machine at work knocks out.

glenh
    Free Member

Carte noire pour moi

ski
    Free Member

Got one of these on my xmas list 😉

Not cheap, but it does boil very quick & not very lady like Z1ppy, but a few friends keep them in their motors for quick brews on the go.

Do the Starbucks VIA Italian Roast Coffee Sachets include powdered milk?

druidh
    Free Member

Milk?

In coffee??

Are you a gurl?

z1ppy

the offices she works in part time in, are in Prisons (admin block), I can’t see them really allowing her onsite with a jetboiler.. 😀

cliffyc
    Free Member

Milicano,is very nice,also like Percol Espresso instant.For a cheaper take Aldi instant coffee best i have tried.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Quick coffee thread (instant though… so you've been warned!)’ is closed to new replies.