Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Question for the ex-smokers…
  • momo

…how long after quitting was it before you stopped wanting to kill everyone around you?

Day 1 off the fags for me, and I’m not coping well, haven’t given in to temptation yet though thankfully.

Pieface

about 3 days. It gets easier by the hour, day.

What got me through was getting to sleep time. Once you’re in bed and ready to sleep you’ve done a day – well done!

Learn to enjoy the ‘anxious’ moments as a wicked new drug experience

Dark-Side

About two weeks for me. I found having a sip of water helped whenever a craving came on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

I gave up 10 years ago and I still want to kill everyone.

(Not sure if that’s due to the smoking or because I’m a psychopath) 😈

tang
    Free Member

first 3 weeks were tough for me(many years ago now, still fag free). just keep going, you can do it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I took champix and didn’t have any cravings at all.

Markie
    Free Member

It was 29 days until I walked past a cigarette billboard (that dates me!) and didn’t want one at all. Ace! At the time I found Quitline helpful – it now seems to be Quit.

Oops, no, just found read a bit further and their telephone service is still called Quitline. I thought it kind of strange to be dialling an 0800 number every time I wanted a cigarette, but they were immensely helpful.

Ring Quitline at any time during your quitting process, friendly counsellors offer confidential help and advice 0800 00 22 00.

Good luck!

GW
    Free Member

depends who’s around me. 😉

brassneck

Still want one every now and then 10 years on I’m afraid, and I reckon most ex smokers would do too. It just becomes far easier to rationalise and ignore the pang, and it becomes less and less often you have too.

donsimon
    Free Member

Never had any feeling like that, I simply gave up, no fuss, no fireworks, nothing. I was probably worse before I gave up as I was doing something I didn’t want to and it frustrated me!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used nicotine replacement which helped the “I want to kill” feeling greatly. Took me a good 3 months to be free of gross withdrawal effects

binners

I’m still smoking, yet i still want to kill everyone. My waking hours are filled with lucid dreams of swiftly called in air strikes, accidents involving Acme Rocket-propelled Roller Skates and painted cave entrances, and dropping grand piano’s onto people from tall buildings. In my mind the whole world around me is a sort of Wacky Racers/Roadrunner/Apocolypse Now hybrid.

I daren’t stop smoking for fear I might start to carry some of this stuff out

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m currently on the massive, horse-pill sized, Morrisons own brand NRT 2mg lozenges. Again. They do take away the urge to smash things up, but are a bit pointless really – I always just end up addicted to pills instead of tabs. I do feel better for being off the tabs though – sense of smell returning, horrible wet wheeze gone, dog doesn’t back away from my smoky fingers…

mintimperial

That’s supposed to stop? Huh. I had no idea.

The first couple of weeks are pretty hard. Keep at it though, it’s worth it. Good luck!

roper
    Free Member

3rd day, 3rd week and 3rd month are the areas to be carefull of.
    I never feel the urge to smoke, want to smoke or will do now though. The feeling can go away completely and will do if you stick at it.
    break a leg (or two).

chewkw
    Free Member

8 years … but then I stop feeling to kill someone to rekindle my love for fags. 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Physical cravings were gone within 48 hours I think.

Couple of weeks to get used to being a non-smoker in my head.

It gets so much easier than it is for you right now, don’t worry!

Hohum
    Free Member

Took a few weeks for me to be honest.

Keep at it as it is so worth it 🙂

Wednesday is a big day for me as that will be my first giving up smoking birthday!

freddyg
    Free Member

I followed the Allen Carr method about 6 years ago. Stopped straight away and very, very rarely have any cravings.

I really don’t miss the stinky fingers either. I have no idea why I ever started, it’s minging…… well, actually I do. As a very shy, geeky kid, I was trying to be ‘cool’ when I went off to Poly.

Good luck, you’ll be fine.

momo

Thanks, I’m on patches at the moment and they are taking the edges off the cravings, the biggest problem is the habitual urges I’m getting, I’m looking longingly at the clock every hour and thinking I should be going out for a smoke now. Feels very odd to have sat at my desk for most of the day!

Going to have to stop in at halfords on the way home to buy some air fresheners for the car to mask the smoke smell, was a nightmare on the way in this morning as my first action is usually to light up before pulling out of the drive.

chewkw
    Free Member

Fags … you know you want it. 😆

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Sorry mate but smoking in your car really is a horrible habit.

In all my years of smoking and driving I only smoked in my car twice and on both times it was when I was caught in massive traffic jams.

Can I ask why you have decided to give up now? Smoking is a very personal thing and I know that when I gave up this time I had really started to hate everything about it and it certainly made giving up a lot easier.

chewkw
    Free Member

How about pipe? Pipe is good unlike fags. 😆

momo

Why quit now? Just felt as though the time was right, combination of being a very expensive (I haven’t purchased any cigarettes since January when I brought plenty of cheap ones on holiday) and the overall changes that I’ve been making to my lifestyle over the past 6 months.

I have a jar sat on the kitchen worktop ready to receive a crisp £5 note tonight, assuming that I succeed in not smoking today, the intention is to do this everyday and use that money to treat myself to things that I would normally deny myself.

user-removed
    Free Member

momo – Member
    Thanks, I’m on patches at the moment and they are taking the edges off the cravings, the biggest problem is the habitual urges I’m getting, I’m looking longingly at the clock every hour and thinking I should be going out for a smoke now. Feels very odd to have sat at my desk for most of the day!

Haha! I went to my local garage to pick up my car. Gary the mechanic was standing outside in the rain, doing nothing and looking a bit uncomfortable. I asked him why he was standing out in the rain and he explained he was having a fag break. I asked him why he wasn’t smoking and he told me he’d given up the week before 🙂

True story!

samuri
    Free Member

A couple of weeks for me. Still want a fag sometimes though but each time it’s less of a wish. It’s never seeing or smelling other people smoke, it’s always when I get up after a rough night of not sleeping and having a coffee.

What kept me going was cycling. I just kept getting fitter and fitter, it was awesome!!

Jay
    Free Member

I gave up nearly 5 weeks ago and i managed it with just willpower alone. The first 3 days were the worst, quite a few times i felt like saying sod it and having one. The problem was changing my routine and finding something else to do, so i just made cups of tea when i felt a craving for a woodbine. Stick at it though, like i said the first few days are the worst, but it gets a lot easier after.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

My local pub started selling pistachio nuts. They were brilliant as they kept my hands busy at times when I wanted a smoke and being in the pub was the time I wa most likely to crack

Not sure, but I think that was 1998

GTDave
    Free Member

Quit 18 years ago, could still quite happily rip out someone’s spine, render them unrecognisable & feel no remorse. Hey-ho.

claricefullington
    Free Member

It took my dad 4 grueling weeks. For the first two weeks, he was so grumpy that it scared the hell out of me. When I had enough of his rage, I bought him a vaporizer. Parts were easy to find, so he didn’t have a problem with the maintenance. That calmed his nerves day after day.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I quit as people I know died from smoking. Sooner not kill anyone or myself. Good luck

Mark_K

I also stopped using the Allan Carr method and cant believe just how easy it was to stop after nearly 20years smoking ! Worse thing about stopping smoking is that i didn’t do it years earlier ! and DONT say “Giving up smoking” your not giving anything up! But your gaining loads ! Strange thing is though i still find myself patting my pocket to check I’ve got my fags from time to time, just makes me laugh now though 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Question for the ex-smokers…’ is closed to new replies.