Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Question for Cardiff folk re: Leckwith Woods
  • SaxonRider

For a whole number of reasons, I have not taken the time to explore Leckwith woods, but at the same time can find nothing about them online. For example, they are not mentioned by Cardiff ramblers, and no MTBer I know has ever mentioned them as having any trails.

I could ride over there on my bike to check them out, but wouldn’t even know where to access them from.

Can anyone on here provide anymore info?

gwaelod
    Free Member

dunno never heard of them before…but then I’m out by J32

presumably the new half built Ely Trail goes somewhere nearby?

I found this via gwgl

http://www.visitcardiff.com/things-to-do/ely-valley-trelai-park-to-leckwith-woods-p262321

SaxonRider

Thanks for that. I think I might head over there today.

That said, it is still remarkable that there are apparently no trails at all in woods so vast!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Tick

I need to introduce more midweek riding from the City centre rather than relying on trail centres so following this with interest…

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Ride out on the taff trail to castell coch or the Garf or both
    At least you have some gradient there and it adds a few miles to warm up / down

I ride there a few times a week and would happily show you the trails, mail me if your interested

frogleek@icloud.com

greeble
    Free Member

The Radyr/Garth/castle coch have loads of good riding.

officialtob
    Free Member

I need to introduce more midweek riding from the City centre rather than relying on trail centres so following this with interest…

+1

I’ve never even heard of Leckwith Woods either, plus its only about a mile or so from my office so very keen to find out more!

gdj001
    Free Member

There’s nothing on Strava for Leckwith Woods either.

As said above, there are loads of trails in and around Castell Coch though

SaxonRider

Thanks all. I am familiar with the Castell Coch/Garth/Radyr area, as I’ve been riding in them for quite a few years. It’s just that I have never explored Leckwith, but can see the woods from my loft window and they look fantastic.

The thing is, I have never heard about anyone actually using them for anything sports-like.

redx

I ride up Leckwith Hill on the road bike from time to time and it does look like there are some tracks in there, but I’ve never had the chance to go in and explore.

I’d be interested if you did find anything as it’s only a couple of minutes from the house….

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ride out on the taff trail to castell coch or the Garf or both
    At least you have some gradient there and it adds a few miles to warm up / down

I ride there a few times a week and would happily show you the trails, mail me if your interested

frogleek@icloud.com

Will have to take you up on that frogleek, keen to garner a little local knowledge from others

taxi25
    Free Member

Leckwith hill on a road bike is as good as it gets I’m afraid. A couple of muddy footpaths but no proper mtb riding. As said North Cardiff Castle Coch is were the riding is.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Question for Cardiff folk re: Leckwith Woods’ is closed to new replies.