Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Strines Road – Open?
  • BadlyWiredDog

Anyone know if the Strines Road between Derwent and Langsett is open please?

Thanks.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Sure is. It has been open for a week now.

BadlyWiredDog

Cool, thanks, just checking. Holme Moss is still closed, though based on previous form, probably just the very top… hmmm…. decisions. How do road shoes do in snow 😉

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Fine if you have overshoe! I’m doing Homfirth, Strines, Snakes Pass then Holme Moss back to Holmfirth. It was all clear on Monday, they decided to block Holme Moss on Tuesday but you can still climb over. Setting off in 20 min!

BadlyWiredDog

I may even see you out there at some point. Enjoy and thanks again.

Pook

“I don’t get why people don’t just go and
    ride stuff. Stuff which is open tends to be clear
    or mostly clear, stuff that sits either by a
    wall or in a trough tends to harbour snow
    and mostly isn’t clear.”

;o)

BadlyWiredDog

Because if IStrines were blocked it would have made getting back from Langsett a massive pain in the backside, whereas the average STW mountain bike ride is about five miles long and mostly spent pushing up hills…

And because roads are cleared by snow-ploughs whereas trails aren’t.

And if anyone’s interested, the high road out of the back of Castleton over to Tideswell is just about passable if you don’t mind a bit of carrying and riding through semi-frozen slush.

Anyway, are you not busy planning a special snow-free, super-flowy, Hora-Pootle? 😉

joat

@BadlyWiredDog, You didn’t happen to find an Evans tour de france commemorative water bottle on that top road did you? It must have fallen out as I was shouldering the bike. I had to turn around a couple of determined motorists who were trying to get to Castleton, but you would have thought I was trying to convince them the moon was made of cheese.

Pook

Too busy being a new dad for now old bean!

BadlyWiredDog

@BadlyWiredDog, You didn’t happen to find an Evans tour de france commemorative water bottle on that top road did you?

Sorry, no. If I find myself back that way I’ll keep an eye out though.

BadlyWiredDog

Too busy being a new dad for now old bean!

I sort of knew that somewhere in the reptilian depths of what I like to refer to as my brain. Look forward to seeing you with trailer some time soon 🙂

Andy-W
    Free Member

Went over Holme Moss today, road is blocked but easy to get the bike over the two piles of snow blocking the road

BadlyWiredDog

And wasn’t it ace – no cars, dry road, sunshine. I can’t believe that those two snowdrifts haven’t been cleared. I wonder if it’s something to do with it being right on the Derbyshire/Yorkshire border and no-one taking responsibility. The stuff further south around Tideswell, Peak Forest etc is amusing, proper snow canyon stuff in places and some minor roads still very obviously completely blocked, but had an ace seven hours or so in the sunshine.

The Strines road is very much okay bar a few bits where it’s effectively a singletrack road because of the snow build-up. And the backroad down from Sparrowpit to Chapel is totally open despite the signs saying it’s closed.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

I think they re-blocked the road to prevent motorist sliding on ice in the early hours of the morning as the snow drifts that have melted re-freze over night. If that makes any sense!

joat

Belated Ta! BWD

shifter
    Free Member

Not rocket science then? 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Strines Road – Open?’ is closed to new replies.