Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Query about why SPDs won't go tight enough
  • jhw
    Free Member

Hi, I posted on here awhile ago asking what could explain why my SPDs were too loose even when the spring tension was set to maximum. I was kindly advised that this was a textbook worn cleat situation so I bought new cleats, but having just tried them the problem remains.

Have the springs in the pedals therefore just worn out? Time to buy new pedals? (this has happened to every pair of SPDs I’ve owned after about a year: what am I doing wrong?).

Thank you all.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Strange. I’d have said worn cleats. Which make?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d have actually said worn soles on the shoe is just as likely to cause this. are they carbon soles?

Pieface

the bit on the pedal that interfaces with the cleats may be worn out therefore new pedals…..

spindi
    Free Member

Maybe check and see if you can get a rebuild kit for your pedals, could be cheaper.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks all. They’re Shimano SPDs. New pedals.

matt_outandabout

The pedal ‘clip’ wears out on mine, again after a year or two. Compare your pedal with a new one.

BadlyWiredDog

If it’s a top-end, XTR or similar, pedal, you can buy a cheapo 520 and cannabalise the new pedal for spares. Cheaper than new top end pedals and cheaper than buying the spare parts and you get a new set of cleats too…. 520s are almost as cheap as cleats, which is absurd.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Query about why SPDs won't go tight enough’ is closed to new replies.