Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Quantock GPS Route please!
  • charlierevell
    Free Member

Does anyone have a route on the Quantocks that covers about 32miles (53km) and 1700m of climbing?

Thanks people!
    Charlie

charlierevell
    Free Member

Good milage, but only half the climbing i need. thanks tho!

carlphillips
    Free Member

try sponging machine, he has a few decent length rides on his gps

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Not any that quite fit the bill though, although one that I rode on Tuesday comes close. Knackered me so much that I had to have a little sleep at the bottom of Smith’s. You could just ride up and down Ladies Edge a few times

Charlie, how did the Cycle-to-Work thing turn out?

Also, if you fancy emailing me some gpx files for Exmoor and the Qs, please feel free to do so.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Got the job! Start on monday morning with my first commute to bath!
    I’ve got a couple of rides I can send over, Ill have a lookie tomo.

sharki
    Free Member

Charlie, you need to do the cairn/beacon/barrow challenge.

Starting at LH. Wills neck, follow the drove past the gate to triscombe combe and look out for a way into the grassy hill, climb to cairn on the great hill, descend back to the drove and continue to black hill trig(crowcombe) take the gas line to DWD and follow the ST down to sandy corner and go the greatbear, cross road and turn right, climb to the hill fort(danesborough), descend to the next cairn(above knackers hole) then either straight on for bacon butty or come back on yourself and descend to holford combe or carry straight on and go left through gateway(though you’ll miss it and go for a bacon roll)across field and come out at ‘the bumps’if you come out this end go straight over and up towards hare knap (trail to the left of holy bush) if you come out up the combe further, you’ll come out at the ladys combe/devils gallop/frog combe junction, take the next trail left after frog (horizon) and head straight up, left at the top, then right up to hiher hare knap cairn.

*breaths*

Now drop down off the knap heading north and at the bottom of the grassy descent bare left dropping into somerton, right at the bermed corner through water splash and head down the combe, at the ford turn left and go up willoughbys cleavage and up through Holly’s bush (sorry), left at the obvious clearing and up over longstone hill, head over and pootle up to beacon hill and drop to CP, then come back up to Bicknoller post, drop into weacombe and up Bicknoller hill.

*breath*

Left up to thorncombe barrow, dropping off slightly before traversing the contours to thorncombe hill cairn, then it’s a pootle back up past the fire beaters at halsway, at the top, pop over the stile and nip up to Hurley Beacon, back to the stile, back up to the trig, down to crowcombe and back to LH (by way of wills neck if you’ve got the legs)

Sunday downhilling

I did that rote last year but with smiths and not weacombe….take the geared bike..

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got one for you, about 35 miles and a fair amount of climbing I’ll dig it out when I get home from work.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Congratulations on the job. I would suggest your first business move to be organising sponsorship for the Trail Snails racing team.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Right Charlie, I’ve got the route, it was 36 miles but I trimmed it a bit so that it starts and finishes at Lyd Hill instead of my house. So now its only 31.3 miles and around 5000ft of climbing, but I can’t send it to you as I don’t have your email address.
    I’ll load it to my 705 and we can do the WiFi transfer thing next time I see you.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Dibbs, any chance you could email that to me, please?

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

sorry to butt in, but can you also email me the route – address is in profile, thanks

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ll try to remember when I get home from work tomorrow.
    What format’s best, I’ve got GPX and MMO at the moment.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I’m multimapped, so either will be fine. Many thanks.

Dibbs
    Free Member

S M, there’s no email address in your profile.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Doh! it’s rdscoleman-taylor AT hotmail DOT com

Cheers, Dibbs.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Which ever goes in easiest to the 705… GPX?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Quantock GPS Route please!’ is closed to new replies.