Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • QECP conditions for the Night Gravity Enduro.
  • dantsw13

Next weekend is my first ever race, in the QECP Night Gravity Enduro. How is it running at the moment? The forecast looks decent for the week, so is it fairly dry?

Ps – never ridden QECP either!

kimbers

its a bit chalky in places so could get slippy in the wet, forecast looks good though so i reckon it will be fast and furious, really looking forward to it!!

mattbee

Just got back from walking the dog there, few squidgy bits but it’s generally in pretty good condition. Forecast isn’t bad for this week either.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I rode there yesterday. Without being rude, it was shi*t. Probably as bad as it was all winter. It was a bit better out the back, as the trails arn’t so ridden, but there was an archery competition going on, so nearly all the trails were off limits.

Keep your fingers cross the weather stays nice this week to dry it out.

dantsw13

Is the GE on fresh trails for the timed runs?

m0rk
    Free Member

Wimps. I’ve been up there today & ridden a couple of the stages. It’s a bit muddy which is no surprise given the rain we had yesterday & in the past couple of days.

It’s nowhere close to as bad as winter conditions up there though!

If it’s windy (and it is now) all week, and doesn’t rain much more it’ll be sticky/grippy rather than slippy.

It’ll be fun whatever though, and I’ll enjoy marshalling more than the climbing!

superfli
    Free Member

Christ, if you think these conditions are as bad as winter, then you dont ride much in the winter! Chalk is always slippy after rain on a previously dry trail, once its sodden, its actually not as bad+you can get down to the rock. This week, its been wet, so slippy yes. A fair bit of mud on fresher trails, but not too slow. I was out on Wed night and had great fastish fun.
    The good thing is that chalk also dries bl**dy quick, and the weather forecast is good for the whole week. Assuming it stays dry, QECP will be running very well for the Enduro+Demo weekend. If it rains on Fri or sat, then it’ll be slippy as hell!
    If I were racing (I’m not), I’d be running big volume tyres like Fat Alberts, RQ etc 2.35-2.5. Dont bother with mud tyres.

Oh BTW, if there is an event on in Headdown, stay well away – its been hired out.

dantsw13

Sounds like its Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbords for Saturday then!!

I remember seeing a link with the route/vertical profile a few months back – anybody know where it is?

m0rk
    Free Member

superfli
    Free Member

Perfect Dan, in fact I have a few mates who ride CMs at QE and they really rate them.

superfli
    Free Member

m0rk, add a 0 at the end of each one of those altitudes please, we need to make it look more impressive lol! Wish we had mountains!

m0rk
    Free Member

Isn’t all the South Downs at 2.5km? 😀

dantsw13

Thanks guys!! Really looking forward to this – I’m camping over too, in a ridiculously large tent, by myself!!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Rode most of the stages on Sunday, really happy with it. Wish I was racing it not organising it 😉

Conditions: Bit muddy at moment but with the warm wind it id drying out very quickly. Forecast looks good for the second half of the week.

P.S Camping is available Friday and Saturday nights.

variflex
    Free Member

Im signed up for it online, but havent managed to find any info on times etc for Sat. Ive looked on the website, facebook page and there is very little info that I can see. Any ideas anyone?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Times:
    http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk/2014/03/qecp-day-night-enduro-goes-live-15th-march-at-0800/

There is an event page on facebook its posted on there too.

johnny

There’s some info via the hargrove’s cyclefest site and some on FB. Anyone know if it’s going to be seeded, or just by class?

I’m entered in Sport, which i hope doesn’t prove too embarassing…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good luck everyone, I was thinking about grabbing one of the spots (would have been my first race too) but now have to be out of the country this weekend.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I shall be there watching, good luck all.

davosaurusrex

Scott – could you put myself and my mates start times together and under the name Fat Ginger Racing as per my email? Hindle, Burgman and Newhouse. Perry has had to drop out because he can’t remember the dates of his own children’s birthdays….Cheers!

chiefgrooveguru

Looking forwards to this – been a while since my last race. If you see me, say hello!

My stupid coloured helmet did save me from riding miles in the wrong direction on my last enduro as it was seen glowing brightly heading off through the woods…

scottfitz
    Free Member

There’s some info via the hargrove’s cyclefest site and some on FB. Anyone know if it’s going to be seeded, or just by class?

I’m entered in Sport, which i hope doesn’t prove too embarassing… Just by class, If you want to go last in sport let me know and I will make it happen 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

Scott – could you put myself and my mates start times together and under the name Fat Ginger Racing as per my email? Hindle, Burgman and Newhouse. Perry has had to drop out because he can’t remember the dates of his own children’s birthdays….Cheers!

Fat Ginger Racing – Hindle, Burgman and Newhouse. Done. Is that quickest first?
    Get Perry to email me, I will leave him in for now in

dantsw13

Hmmm – trying to decide if I should service my Heckler with 160 Marz55’s on it, or just ride my go-to bike, a Ti Fireline 29er HT??????

PS – never been to QECP, so have no idea really!

davosaurusrex

Cheers Scott, probably reverse order to be honest……

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hmmm – trying to decide if I should service my Heckler with 160 Marz55’s on it, or just ride my go-to bike, a Ti Fireline 29er HT??????

PS – never been to QECP, so have no idea really!
    Does your Hardtail have a dropper post and aggressive trail tyres? If so go for that.

dantsw13

It does – Reverb and Smorgasbords. Special prize for the slowest rider on a HT with the most crashes??

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cheers Scott, probably reverse order to be honest……

I have switched you round so you are less likely to catch each other on the stages.

scottfitz
    Free Member

It does – Reverb and Smorgasbords. Special prize for the slowest rider on a HT with the most crashes??

sounds fine to me.

40mpg

Last year was slippy as hell – bone dry, but covered in loose chalk marbles. Made for some interesting corners, especially that off-camber one 😀

Should be pretty much optimum conditions with drying out mud. Sadly I’m at HOTS drinking cider / riding bikes so can’t make this one, but best wishes to all, have fun!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Only 4 spaces left now.

superfli
    Free Member

dantsw13 – if it was me, I’d go with the Heckler 8)
    I have a Heckler with 160 forks and a HT with dropper. Although I love riding both, my Heckler is quicker and more forgiving/lets you get away with mistakes and can be peddled where the HT might not be able to (too much bouncing around!)
    Bring both and decide on the day?

dantsw13

Superfli – I’m coming alone with plenty of space, so I think that makes sense!

I’m never going to win anything – Its just a balance of ease of transitions vs ploughing downhill in my virgin race!!

scottfitz
    Free Member

superfli – Member

dantsw13 – if it was me, I’d go with the Heckler
    But you have hobbit wheels 😉

Its just a balance of ease of transitions vs ploughing downhill in my virgin race!!

transitions are the quickest and easiest ways to the top not a drawn out transition for the sake of adding km. Some of the stages are STEEP! some are rooty, some are pedally, some are super fast, some slow and technical, some are fresh cut, same are well used, some have berms, some have jumps, some have flat corners.
    Hope that helps 8)

Lummox

Scott, I put a request up on the Facebook page about getting myself (Al Bowen) and my pal James Angove grouped together both in fun, don’t know if you’ve seen the request or not just wanted to double check.

Cheers

scottfitz
    Free Member

Lummox – Member

Scott, I put a request up on the Facebook page about getting myself (Al Bowen) and my pal James Angove grouped together both in fun, don’t know if you’ve seen the request or not just wanted to double check.

Cheers
    Nope missed that one, just looked did you message QECP facebook page or me? Any way Angroves and Bowen are together because they have the same team name. Remind me your second name.

P.S for the future putting the same team name as your mates is an easy way for me to put you together.

dantsw13

Thanks for all the updates Scott! Fingers crossesd the weather holds.

Lummox

Think I posted on the Facebook event page, last name is Bowen and both team HFRS there’s a third team member Liam gibbons riding in sport.

Cheers for your help

scottfitz
    Free Member

Think I posted on the Facebook event page, last name is Bowen and both team HFRS there’s a third team member Liam gibbons riding in sport.

Cheers for your help
    ok cool I had all ready done it on your team names. If you want to ride with Liam I can bump you up to sport. Its up to you.

mgig
    Free Member

My first enduro race really – bit scared 🙂
    What time should we be on site?
    Is this the usual car park in QECP?

Cheers
    Michal

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘QECP conditions for the Night Gravity Enduro.’ is closed to new replies.