Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • QECP conditions for the Night Gravity Enduro.
  • dantsw13

Great night!!

Sadly, as as tubeless evangelist, I was DNF due to 2 big tubeless explosions. I ripped my rear tyre in practice on Stage 4, which meant I was late for my start time, so got to the top of transition 1 with no water, and no spares. My front tyre (Chunky Monkey) then departed the rim at the drop at the end of stage 2.

I finally got my bike rideable by fitting a 29er tube into my 26″ wheel, so I could ride home. Sadly I’d lost 30 minutes and missed all my transition times, so I decided that riding stages 3/4 with a 29er tube with a knot tied in it, at race speed wasn’t wise, so rolled to the finish to grab my free beer – Great touch QECP!!!

I really enjoyed watching the racing in the “Stadium” at the end of Stage 4. Kudos to the 3 guys at the start of Sport, who were racing each other 4X style round the final berms!!!

See you there next year!!

chiefgrooveguru

Now, did I beat ChiefGrooveGuru?

Strava thinks so! Though you still got owned by Hoops – on a hardtail… 😛

chiefgrooveguru

Results are in: https://www.rootsandrain.com/race2500/2014-may-17-qecp-trail-collective-day-and-night-enduro-queen-elizabeth-country-park/

Think I managed top 50% overall if I’m allowed to count all the DNFs! 😉

variflex
    Free Member

Im surprised I even got a stage 1 time, thought I had DNF’d the lot.
    Just spent 3 hours in A&E with suspected clavical fracture, but after several puzzled faces, it ended up only an “ACJ” tear, which is basically the ligaments that join the clavical to the shoulder. Nice bone like lump at the end of the collar bone though 🙂

Well done all, some impressive times in there.

dantsw13

Healing vibes! Don’t worry – we drank your free beer for you!! I think we finally hit the tent at 0430!

charliemort

I was the one squealing like a (15 stone) girl at the top of the rock garden, lost front wheel and badly jarred an already injured upper hamstring / pelvis tendon jamming my foot down. ‘Kin hurt….. and game over. Did have a couple of beers after though

excellent event though – surpringly technical, not really ridden at night before so that was fun

sorry to number 97 who I held up a bit (at least ’til I could put my part time roadie / prop forward legs to use on the flat bits) but he was waaaay under half my age….

than ks to all at QECP, especially for the rescue out of the woods

banana
    Free Member

My front tyre (Chunky Monkey) then departed the rim at the drop at the end of stage 2.

My Chunky Monkey on the front rim (Superstar Tactic) also let go, but just 1:15 into stage 1, just after it got steep and loose. I managed to get a tube in (big thanks to Matt for the CO2 cylinder) and finish the stage. I got a clean run on stage 2, but felt I needed more air in the front. With plenty of time to spare waiting for the start of 3, I pumped up the tyre, but as I unscrewed the pump, the valve core came with it 🙁 I eventually got going again (thank you to the person for the lend of the non-screw-on pump), but started 3 and 4 late.

A big thanks to all the organisers, officials and marshals. That was an absolutely awesome night despite my problems. I appreciated that cold beer at the end so much! Can’t wait for the summer race 🙂

davosaurusrex

I had a pretty big off on stage 2 practice that saw my bike go over the drop at the bottom without me, also spent a few hours in a&e this morning, only badly bruised ribs though. Had some pretty shonky race runs, rode much better in practice but I’m sure that’s true of nearly everyone. I was one second faster than my fat ginger mate over the four stages though, bruised ribs were totally worth it!

superfli
    Free Member

Glad everyone had a good time! The stages were running perfectly, just enough moisture to stop then becoming too loose and dusty, but not too slippy, although going by the numerous 180+360 skids over the finish line suggested the finish area was a little slippy 🙂
    Hargroves cycles did a great job supporting the race and supplying the prizes and free beer!
    Gutted I didn’t actually get to see any racing as I was the marshal starting you all and recording finishing times, would love to have seen the action at a few of the features.
    Roll on the July enduro (although I’ll be on hols). We also have the gravity project dh race in June and also a southern xc. Looking good for qecp 🙂

Big thanks to Scott for all the hard work he has been putting in, another stunner

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cheers for all the great comments guys. Will sort out the transion times for next year.
    Next race will be on 27th July (in the day not night) it will go on sale next Saturday. Still got to comfirm the sign on host, will post when I know.

There are some pics on roots and rain.

chrishc777
    Free Member

absolutely awesome day, well done to everyone involved, will defo be signing up for the next one!

kimbers

yeah just echoing what everyone else said but brilliant race, chilled atmos and very friendly crew, makes the riders more friendly and scott leads by example – I think thats what makes it special

well that and the steepness of stage 1, off camber slidy in the dark and stage 2 was brilliant fun but got carried away and had an off, and well stages 3 and 4 my legs were feeling it, either way being handed a free beer as you cross the finish line is just the icing on the cake!

johnny

Superfli- were you talking to each rider at the top of 1-3 and setting us off? If so, you were a great presence on the start line, suitably reassuring and professional at the same time.

I got 17th in sport. Still a bit stunned, as I’ve only ridden once with lights since Christmas, and I had a bit of an off in the berms at the end of the 4th…!

My conclusions: orange shorts make you faster, nighttime enduros are definitely a good idea and free beer is the finest recovery drink!

dantsw13

(Kimbers)^^^This^^^^

I learnt loads from my first race, mostly about kit preparation, and what to take with me 😳

I was pretty pleased with my St1 time, and I’d overtaken 2 riders on St2 before my front tyre exploded on the big rutty drop. My main goal had been not coming last!!

Superfli – I was the guy with the Troutie Spidereyes.

slackalice
    Free Member

@johnny – there were three of us at the starts of stages 1 – 3, Bartimus, Neil (not sure if you’re on here Neil, so apologies for not using your monika ) and myself. I think I was the chattier one 😉 Thank you, we thoroughly enjoyed meeting all the runners and riders, if only for a few brief moments before you plunged headlong into the darkness!

Impressive stuff, all of you and a lot of very nice bikes 😉

bartimaeus
    Free Member

1-3 start was Neil (stage 1 timekeeper), me (stage 2) and Tim (stage 3). It got a bit hectic when we started off a new stage with 40 odd riders still to go one the previous one… so thanks to all the riders for being so organised in their queueing! I was admiring the Spidereyes 🙂

Once we’d packed up we rode down stage 3 to the finish – VERY glad I wasn’t racing! I was just contemplating the high line drop onto the fireroad crossing when Tim took a massive OTB on the straight drop just behind me… after that I chose to walk down! it was not so bad in the daylight today, but well done everyone for surviving. The medic was most impressed that he did not have too much to do 😆

dantsw13

What I needed was a bike medic!! I found the hardest bits were the off-camber angled roots as soon as you relaxed between the steep bits. Stage 1 was the hardest, IMHO, as the drops often sent you to a place you didn’t want to be!

splashdown
    Free Member

Great event….if Carlsberg did Enduro’s 😉

chiefgrooveguru

This explains how vocal my rear brake was during the latter stages of the race!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Team Lordswood Pro Riders show their true potential

8 Riders planned to go
    6 Riders turned up
    2 Riders remembered to use the team name
    4 Riders failed to complete anything
    1 rider managed 2 sections
    1 rider managed to ride all 4 sections

Those are the kind of statistics the other pro teams just don’t publish!

scottfitz
    Free Member

WCA there some crazy stats.

DezB
    Free Member

Go team Lordswood! 😆

superfli
    Free Member

WCA, did the no shows end up at Queen Vic Country Park 😆

stuartmccarthy
    Free Member

Great event which ran seamlessly from start to finish (from what we saw 😆 ) so excellent effort Scott and all the QECP Trail Collective you’ve done a fantastic job.

It was definitely an awesome race with such a good atmosphere, and adding darkness into it is something completely different! July can’t come round quick enough.

chiefgrooveguru

Will sort out the transion times for next year.

Were people saying they were too short or too long? Seemed great to me, easy enough in the dry, would have been much harder work if it had been thick mud and you have to assume the worst!) All in all, if you’d had a megaphone Scott, then it would have been 100% perfect! 🙂 I assume there was nothing important in the rider briefing because I couldn’t hear a word of it at the back of the crowd…

The first stage scared me in practice as did the two fireroad drops on stage 2 – however having to choose to ride them if I wanted to race meant that I realised I could ride steep things, which has given me a welcome confidence boost. Should have spent more time practising because my lack of confidence to ride the tech bits at full tilt cost me time but I thought my legs wouldn’t cope – was remarkably fresh at the end, nice to underestimate one’s endurance though!

Hello there Superfli, Bartimaeus and other marshalls – thanks for doing a great job! I was the lonely rider 91 with one rider missing in front of him and two riders missing behind at each start. Still, it meant I didn’t get overtaken…

scottfitz
    Free Member

megaphone Scott

We have got a PA system but I didn’t have time to set it up. We will have it set up for the July race.

By the way guys We are giving away another prize!!
    It’s for the Best race report. How to enter:
    1. Write a race report
    2. Email it to Info@qecptrailcollective.co.uk
    3. We will pick the best one.

Prize is a £250 paint job from Fatcreations.com & a 32t Narrow/Wide chainring from Vectiox.com

We will also send it to enduro-mtb.com to be put in there Race report section of there website.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Need race report before Wednesday lunch time too.

FieldMarshall

The reason that most of the Lordswood Pro Team didn’t make the start was that they were busy looking for the beer tent that coulddn’t be found anywhere. 😉

They had to make do with a quick trip to the local off-licence instead.

mattbee

As one of the Lordswood Pro Team I must offer some explanation.
    I turned up straight from work at 6pm with every intention of racing. However, I was greeted by 3 teammates, all with a beer in hand, and a leg of lamb on the BBQ. I quickly decided that since the 2 others had managed to get onto the course & practice they weren’t in need of support, but the slackers were so I joined them!
    I can definitely say the campsite was grat, the 2 who raced loved it too.
    Tbh, I’m happy my entry fee will go towards the QE trails so I see it as a donation instead. May actually get on my bike for the day enduro…

DIS

According to the results i managed 1st place on stage 3 in the fun cat despite at about the time i was ‘racing’ that stage i was stumbling my way to my tent, now that’s what it takes to be on the lordswood pro team!

dantsw13

To be fair to the Lordswood lads, they had made a cracking fire in their firepit to warm me up when I got back to the campsite!! 😀

scottfitz
    Free Member

PSA to all that enjoyed the QECP Day & Night enduro.
    Info and sign on link to the QECP Enduro 2014.
    On sale this Saturday, my guess is it will go quick 😉

http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk/2014/05/qecp-enduro-entry-live-this-saturday-on-moredirt-com/

akak
    Free Member

What’s the reason for the age categories this time scott?

davosaurusrex

Whatever the reason I’m 40 next month so might do a bit better this year. More accurately my results might look a bit better but still, that’ll do!

scottfitz
    Free Member

What’s the reason for the age categories this time scott?

A couple of reason really.

1. Sport cat is massive.
    2. Its only getting bigger as people race in fun a couple of times the will be stepping up to sport.
    3. to make sport more competitive. so there are 49 year old don’t have to race against 20 year olds.

There are a couple of negative main one is that it is harder to ride with you mate if there a different age cat to you. But if people tell me early I can try my best to get them near each other. (Not 2 days before the race)

scottfitz
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Member

Whatever the reason I’m 40 next month so might do a bit better this year. More accurately my results might look a bit better but still, that’ll do!
    davosaurusrex FTW 😉

dantsw13

Hi Scott – can I ask the reason for Sport following Fun at the D&N Enduro?

Sadly I can’t make the July event, but really hoping to come back next year, and finish the race without any more tubeless explosions.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hi Scott – can I ask the reason for Sport following Fun at the D&N Enduro?

so the less experienced rider where back earlier and the got to do some of the stages in the light/dusk.

scottfitz
    Free Member

plan for the next on 27th is some thing like:
    PRO
    SPORT (Senior)
    SPORT (Master)
    SPORT (Veteran)
    WOMEN
    U18s
    Hardtails
    FUN

dantsw13

Back to the bar earlier 8) I think it probably cost Charlie a bit this year going first in Sport, and having to overtake Stu every Stage!!! I think they had some good banter going by the end!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘QECP conditions for the Night Gravity Enduro.’ is closed to new replies.