Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pyrenees – any locals or experts in please?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Morning all:)

I’m thinking of a trip with friends this time next year and like the idea of the Pyrenees but don’t know where to look

First off I suppose would be advice on mid October being a dumb or otherwise time to visit. Weather reports and Web cams around La Mongie look OK today however advice more than welcome

The group is split between hardcore roadies and non cyclists so I’m looking for a few iconic climbs with other stuff too. St Lary Soulon has a thermal spa thing which would be good, any other recs for towns warmly received

We’re looking for places with nice but not stupidly expensive hotels, all the better if similar restaurants are nearby

St Lary ticks most boxes from my Google powered research but the main thing is stuff for the non bikers to do for a few hours each day

Thanks in advance

kiwiem
    Free Member

Bagnere-de-Luchon. A Quick Release Holidays are based there and whilst primarily MTB they do road stuff too with Tour cols on the doorstep. Usually accommodation is at Le Lutin which is pretty cheap, but good, basic, clean rooms and awesome food from Russ the chef. If you don’t want guiding you can still use Le Lutin as a base but Kate and Ian Potter will be able to show you some really good routes if you take them up on it plus tailor routes if the weather is a bit off.

Luchon itself has a load of restaurants and bars although I was out there about three weeks ago and it’s getting a bit quieter being the calm before the ski season with not everything open every night (especially Wednesdays). Weather was a little damp occasionally but I came back with a cracking tan and it’s still really nice out there now.

For non-riders there are thermal baths in the town but I’d recommend heading over to the next valley and Balnea in Loudonville, it was amazing. There’s also rafting, paragliding, walking, an equestrian centre, those offroad segways and probably a load of other stuff I don’t know about!

If you go that way I can also highly recommend the cafe at the top of the Peyresourde; 12 crepes for 5euros plus ye olde cryptic games to keep you entertained!

piemonster

+1 to Bagneres de luchon

For mtb’ing or road biking I dont think you can go too far wrong with anywhere in the Haute Pyrenees, just get a map and ride. I stayed in Luz St Savuer, which sits at the foor of the Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, with Hautacam and more not far away for the road climbs.

If I was you, I’d be googling some key french words and then getting google to translate the results.

I’d probably end up back at Bagneres de Luchon tbh.

peteimpreza

Slight thread hijack but can anyone recommend a apartment or house to rent in Bangeres de Luchon?

trout
    Free Member

We stayed here last year in St Lary Soulan

Nice place to stay

mugsys_m8

Look on leboncoin.fr for places to rent.

kiwiem
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack but can anyone recommend a apartment or house to rent in Bangeres de Luchon?

Stayed in an awesome apartment for two weeks which Kate Potter (kateATaquickreleaseDOTcom) sorted. You could drop her a line, don’t know if she manages it or could point you to the management company. I was using it in conjunction with an AQR Holiday. Good standard, all mod cons, stunning views just round the corner from the Baths/high street.

singletrackmind

We stayed in Ageles Bazost this year.
    Literally at the base of the Hautacam climb. Tormalet , Luz Ardiden , Pont Espagne , Gavanie and Solour / Espagne all an easy spin out.
    Took my roadbike but noticed there are ahuge amount of mtb trails in the area.
    We styaed in a static caravan so not exactly what you are looking for. There were hotels there , a few bars and restaurants but not too many.
    Had a great week, polite drivers ( mostly ) good roads
    Rapha do a quality books on Pyrenees climbs , worth a look on Amazon fleabay for a copy.

Think mid october will be a little late in the year , Mid september would be warm/hot with longer daylight hours and nights that arent too cold.

orange_c
    Free Member

We stayed in Luz st Saveur but were camping. Great location at bottom of Tourmalet plus you can also cycle up to Gavarnie and beyond and also Col de Trommouse and up to Luz Ardiden ski station. Down the valley you have Hautacam, the road up to Cauterets and beyond it and also the Aubisque/Souloir (IMHO one of the best road rides ever).

There are a few places to eat in Luz, Argeles Gazost down the valley is much bigger so more choice, this would also be a good place to be based as there are all the classic road climbs off in every direction. Plus a lot of marked MTB trails. You can get maps from Tourist information and can also find then on line.

Cauterets is a sizeable place with lots of shops/bars/places to eat. And a spa.

For non cyclists there is some great and fairly easy walking (cirque de Gavarnie, cirque de Troumouse, Pont d’Espagne plus all the thermal spas). All the ski lifts may now be closed I think as outside the main tourist season.

October is ‘roofing time’ in the Pyrenees, because it is one of the driest months. That was what I was told anyway. At least you won’t be slogging up the Hautacam in 30C heat like I was. I think it would be a nice time to go as it will be much quieter than July/August.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pyrenees – any locals or experts in please?’ is closed to new replies.