Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • putting unprotected bateries in a p7
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Hi guys.bought a couple of the green unproteced bateries from dx for the p7 by mistake.
    reordered the blue protected ones but what happenes if you use the others.
    will this cause thermo neucler meltdown and the end of the world. :?.
    or should i just bin them.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I'm no expert, but I think you would risk over driving the led and even the battery catching fire :(. Afaik the torch itself has no protection.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I been using the unprotected ones for ages, they came out of a laptop. The protection is there for charging as far as I'm aware.
    As with any 18650 battery, do not leave them on charge without regularly checking them, as they can overcharge and explode.

robhughes
    Free Member

smudge are you there 😉

turboferret

Unprotected cells should be fine if you're sensible.

A P7 will draw about 2.25A from a single cell, the protection circuit won't kick in until considerably more, to save short-circuiting.

Only thing to be aware of is not over-discharging too much, as there won't be any low voltage protection, so you could damage the battery by leaving it running too long.

Not an expert, but hope that helps,

Cheers, Rich

lightman
    Free Member

I only use/sell unprotected batterys with flash lights, as the last thing you want is the protection kicking in when you're hammering down hill!
    Ive sold over 100 flash lights and gone through over 400 batterys and never had any blowing up or catching fire.
    The only thing you need to remember to do, is as Turbo said, change the battery before the light sucks it dry, but usually the light will be quite dim before then anyway.

Just out of curiosity, which "green" batterys did you get? As i only buy the blue TrustFire ones.

abductee
    Free Member

A couple of batteries you say? Are you using 2x CR123A rather than 1x 18650. IIRC you will get better run time out of 1x 18650.

If you run 2 cells in series there is a possibility of reverse driving one of the batteries if they are unprotected and you let them run completely flat.

If you only have 1x 18650 you should be OK but again don't let it run completely flat or it will not recharge. I think it will only go thermonuclear if you try to force charge into a battery when the automatic battery charger says no.

robhughes
    Free Member

abductee/lightman.these where the ones bought by mistake.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28676

abductee
    Free Member

They'll be fine so long as you swap them when it gets dim.

robhughes
    Free Member

ok.cheers lads.
    once again stw brains come to the rescue 😉

lightman
    Free Member

rob, it might be worth your while ordering a couple of TrustFire batterys, as UltraFire are not that great and as they state on the product page, they over estimate their capacity by quite a bit.
    They'll still work fine, but the runtime may only be around 45min, whereas i recommend that people change the TF ones around the 60-80min mark.

robhughes
    Free Member

cheers lightman.iv,e got 4 new TF,s
    just wondering what to do with the 2 wrongly ordered ultrafire ones.

smudge
    Free Member

Sorry for a mini rant, but I would never build/sell or use a Li-Ion battery with protection. The Circuit protects against under discharge, over charge, over current and also short-circuit. They are there for a reason.
    What if the charger develops a fault and continues to charge the cells above their end of charge?

Just be very careful

robhughes
    Free Member

I new the master would turn up sooner or later. 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

smudge.where do you get a decent charger for them instead of those cheap dx ones.

Northwind

Smudge, did you mean without protection?

Rob, I'm by no means an expert, but this charger:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.936

Works with an old- model Nokia phone charger instead of the one supplied, just plugs straight in. Being paranoid I don't like cheap chargers but I trust the Nokia ones, and I had about 3 lying about from old phones anyway. Perhaps there's downsides I don't know about though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘putting unprotected bateries in a p7’ is closed to new replies.