Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Putting bikes in storage
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone done this? Bit nervous about leaving my bikes in the garage whilst away.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Shall I save someone the bother of making the obvious answer to this post?

molgrips
    Free Member

Which is?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ll look after them for you… any of them particularly suitable for Alpine riding?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. You can use if it you have the forks serviced 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Are they insured? If they are then is it really an issue if secured in the garage? If they go to a lock up then I would presume they would have to cover your belongings

molgrips
    Free Member

They are insured, yes, but it’s still a deeply unpleasant experience to have them all nicked 🙁

But will check insurance yes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Second obvious answer, if you’re going for more than a week, take them with you…

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst I would like that, I don’t have room in the car for them all 🙂 Plus I have no idea how much space there is at the other end..

elaineanne
    Free Member

what if he,s flying ? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Insure ’em, lock ’em up. You can’t do any more than that.
    If somebody wants ’em bad enough, they’ll have ’em whatever you do, so there’s no point worrying.

philconsequence
    Free Member

make sure to let us know where they’re securely stored and what security measures you have in place 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

If somebody wants ’em bad enough, they’ll have ’em whatever you do

Well in theory, but you can still improve security of course! Better in storage than in a potentially unoccupied house near an iffy area of the city where at least some scrotes know they are there…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Better in storage than in a potentially unoccupied house near an iffy area of the city where at least some scrotes know they are there

True, but there’s ‘more security’, and ‘going too far’ 😉

I’ve got a garage full of bikes and kit, and probably more security than most STWers, but I’m insured to the max. They’re only bikes, they’re replaceable. (I’d be gutted if I lost my Inbred though)

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I usually just break all the bikes down in to individual components and secrete them around the house. What about under the patio – with the wife?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

double check your insurance if the house is going to be empty for months

fadda

Can someone else look after them for you?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

does your house have a alarm?? how about in there in the loft locked to the rafters??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can someone else look after them for you?

Would they still be insured if they did?

Trekster

+1 0neone
    Lock-em up in the house
    Timer on a light so it is not too obvious no-one is around
    Poss timers/lights in different rooms set to come on at different times.
    Let local bobbies know you will be away
    Private security firm to keep eye on property

molgrips
    Free Member

True, but there’s ‘more security’, and ‘going too far’

Having already been cleaned out of bikes once, there really isn’t ‘going to far’ as far as I’m concerned! They are locked up, alarmed and insured very well, and the house should not be empty for long.

But still it sort of relies on the house-sitter to set the alarm properly.. and not leave the door open accidentally for any time, that kind of thing.

They’re only bikes, they’re replaceable.

True, but

a) it’s a right ballache
    b) insurance premiums would go up (again)
    c) I’m the sort of person to get very upset to think of some scrote in my house helping themselves to my stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chuffin ‘eck. Supposedly the cheapest place in town wanted £25/week!

poly
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Chuffin ‘eck. Supposedly the cheapest place in town wanted £25/week! that sounds roughly the right ball park for somewhere that is actually secure with reasonable access time and short term rentals etc. That won’t include insurance (you’d need to check if your house insurance would cover it off site like this). Never been that convinced about security at some of these places, minimum wage guy on the gate etc.

Your “feeling of violation” will still be there if the break in when you are away and rummage around before realizing the bikes are not there.

If you can’t trust the housesitter to lock up afterwards then don’t use them. It its just the “theoretical risk” then the same applies every time that you / your wife (etc) leave the house.

Its also quite likely that you could go away for 2-3 weeks leaving the house completely unlocked and come back and everything would be exactly where you left it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I am not worried enough to spend £450 on it 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

You can store them at mine for 200 😉

toys19
    Free Member

I stick mine upstairs when I go away..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Putting bikes in storage’ is closed to new replies.