Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Putting a disclaimer on a casual ride/meet advice?
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

It's all gash. I've been offered a job again this year as a guide in the Alps but I won't take it for two reasons:-

A: I earn more money in my other job
    B: I don't want to get sued for doing something I enjoy and hoping I've instilled that enjoyment in others.

I did casual (unpaid) guiding work in the Alps last year and that is all. No commitment and no risk. I let the client ride ahead of me at all times so I can't be responsible for leading them into trouble. Everyone I rode with enjoyed their time (and it's not me blowing my trumpet – we just had a good time!).

I'd like to think (hope) that most of the people on here are not ambulance chasers. But – their families might be. And I guess my worst fear is being stood in some Court being grilled by a tearful wife and hateful kids as to why I took Mr X down a slope he couldn't ride.

Accidents are accidents, or at least they were until the American legal system was invented…..

miketually
    Free Member

There're lots of scare stories around about being sued. It's strange that people think getting a guiding "qualification" would make you less likely to be sued, as that's the opposite to what people think about getting a first aid qualification.

Provided you do what's reasonable for someone with your experience and qualifications, you're fine. As it was explained on the first aid course I took, if you try to perform a tracheotomy on someone using a biro, you'll get sued; do what you were trained to do and you won't.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Hmmm, its true you cannot disclaim against negligence, but as said above if someone is seriously hurt or killed for whatever reason if you are shown to have a duty of care it does leave you exposed to the scrutiny of the law.

Well said scotabroad,Thats what I was trying to point out to TJ 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

You cannot opt out of negligence

Not quite true. IIRC the law is that disclaimers/agreements can have no effect as regards personal injury/death arising from negligence.

chorlton
    Free Member

Hmmm, its true you cannot disclaim against negligence, but as said above if someone is seriously hurt or killed for whatever reason if you are shown to have a duty of care it does leave you exposed to the scrutiny of the law.

We are exposed to the scrutiny of the law every day.

As long as your sensible you'll be alright.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Putting a disclaimer on a casual ride/meet advice?’ is closed to new replies.