Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What is Google Chrome – in a nutshell?
  • BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Apparently I need it for Google Wave, but it says "Install at your peril"

lol

jam-bo

its another browser, quite a nice one but you dont need it at all. wave works in any browser.

MrNutt
    Free Member

another way of Mountain view collecting a detailed record of all your online activity.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Its an Internet browser innit ?

glenh
    Free Member

Actually jambo, Wave documents don't really work in IE7.

jam-bo

so I should have said it'll work in any decent browser.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Just as Internet Explorer (IE) is an application designed to view the World Wide Web (web browser), Google Chrome is a web browser.

The current IE is version 8. But IE6 and 7 are widespread. The reason why Google are asking you to use Chrome for Wave is because IE is not at all advanced in the way it renders web pages (any version of it, though 8 is much better, but still has its quirks). IE6 is every web designers night and daymare. It was released in 2001 and is completely out of date.

this explains it all quite nicely: http://www.whatbrowser.org/

CountZero

There's Firefox and Safari as well. Chrome is still in beta for Mac and Linux platforms.

cp

their upcoming OS is called Chrome aswell, but it seems all that is is a basic OS and browser, and everything you do is online, through the browser.

MrNutt
    Free Member

their upcoming OS is called Chrome aswell, but it seems all that is is a basic OS and browser, and everything you do is online, through the browser.

All conveniently recorded, categorized and stored indefinitely by big brother mountain view, why?

nixie

another f**king thing we have to test in. Seriously google did you not think there was enough choice already!

GrahamS

All conveniently recorded, categorized and stored indefinitely by big brother mountain view, why?

erm… Because it's all "conveniently recorded, categorized and stored indefinitely"?

JulianA
    Free Member

Hey nixie – how goes it? You test in a browser with minimal (so far!) take up? I wonder if .Net will sort out the browser sniff for us? Call us sometime – it's been a while!

nixie

Hi Julian,

Yeap unfortunately we have to test in it. Had some annoying scripting bugs to fix!

We do need to catch up, have some news you may be surprised at 😀

dulcificum
    Free Member

If you're using IE stop right now and install Chrome. I also prefer it to FF on netbooks.

tootin

I used Firefox for ages, now i use chrome and it is much better. Very quick, no fuss, easy to use

rootes1

Yer but if you have to use ms SharePoint – then you really have to use ie 7 up, SharePoint not fully worky on chrome or ff grrrrrr

MrNutt
    Free Member

Sharepoint, Microsoft's "reacharound" proposition?

rootes1

Reach around?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[quoteanother f**king thing we have to test in. Seriously google did you not think there was enough choice already![/quote]

i'm sure they did and went hang on we can do that better. I always think similar things in bike shops, oh why is there so much choice after all it's just 2 whees and some metal how much better can someone else make it

allthepies
    Free Member

Regarding Chrome and google wave, you're being asked to install a chrome plugin into IE. So you'd still run IE but the google chrome "engine" would actually be under the hood as it were.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Chrome seems to be fairly flawed still. Little stuff that annoys, rather than major bugs. I've removed it until it's a bit more advanced.

FuzzyWuzzy

I use Chrome for most web browsing but there's a fair few things out there that don't work with it so have to resort to IE8 from time to time (can't say I notice IE8 is much slower actually, just prefer a couple of the Chrome features)

thelegsdontwork
    Free Member

I've always used IE because the typeface is smoother than in other browsers. I've tried Fiorefox and Chrome and never managed to get the letters looking as good.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Chrome isn't another browser for the sake of it. It's meant to have a mega slick javascript engine – for non techies, javascript is the stuff that makes things like Gmail and Wave work the way they do. It's quite slow and intensive but it seems it's going to be the backbone of the way we work online going forward, so hence google chrome!

So the answer really is, unless you use a lot of online apps such as google docs, wave and gmail etc – it's probably irrelevant to you…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What is Google Chrome – in a nutshell?’ is closed to new replies.