Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Pussypads (Leg armer!)
  • bellerophon
    Free Member

IF it's just your shins, from pedal impact, you're worried about then I have heard of people using football shin pads.. not much good for knee protection though.

thebunk

Your knees are the most important and least quick to heal joint, and if you have flat peddles you soon find out how much blood can come out of your shins (though the scars look cool and last forever!)

I'm too old to heal quickly, and too young / stupid to ride within my limits, so I fall off – I wear Raceface Rally pads all the time, even though they are hot. Reckon on getting a size up from your normal though.

Does anyone else find that they have more accidents on trail centres and local trails cos your more likely to ride on the edge of my abilities?

Trail centres have more obstacles per mile than natural xc trails, and the good ones tempt you into the advanced options and shortcuts (where I usually sail over the handlebars). If I'm somewhere new, or miles away from civilisation, I'm more cautious.

wormhole

i was always worried that they would be uncomfortable to ride with, but used 661 knee and shin jobbies on a recent 7 stains week and found that once you have them on and start riding you pretty much forget they are there! until like me you get things a bit wrong and have a stem – kneecap interface…. then your glad you have them on.
    dont tend to wear them on my local trails, surrey hills, but at T/C's or big days out think they make good sense.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

Knee/Shin Combos? 90% chance of slippage plus you will definately find them too Hot in this sort of weather…

When they do start to slip you could try some 661 padlocks , (effectivly an oversized knee warmer) to try and keep the pad in place… of course by this point you've probably spunked ~£80+ on leg armour that won't protect your knees very well…

Good idea heading to a shop to try them on, but don't just pull it on and marvel at the comfort, jump about and see if they stay put, that really is the key point….

chakaping
    Free Member

Just to clarify and give my view on what others have said…

661 Race knee/shin pads are pretty good, resonably comfy and seem to stay in place – but don't protect the back of your leg from pedal gouging.

661 Race Lite knee/shin pads don't seem to stay in place because the knee section isn't fastened very well/at all.

BillOddie

My leg armour experiences:

Roach Rally FR (same as RF Rally FR) – ace for the Alps/Garda/Canada, where you either use chair lifts or climb for ages then pad up.
    Saved my shins and knees on numerous occasions. Recommended but very hot.

Rockgardn Shorty LZ – a bit hot and uncomfy but good protection, don't move when you crash and saved me from A&E. Can be worn all day in say the Peaks or Afan. Get left behind on local rides. Only £25 when I bought min so money well spent for missing out on a fun wait for 6 hours in A&E followed by a lazy month whilst I heal.

Ordered a pair of Race Face Dig pads with the hope they will be more comfy and will hence be worn for the vast majority of riding.

We'll see though.

titusrider
    Free Member

I have some kyle straights which i bought for the alps but i find myself wearing them on and off at home too. No real rule for when i wear them, sometimes just as knee warmers when its a bit chilly, sometimes when im riding alone, sometimes when im on the full sus where my speeds are higher. Dont generally use them if im out more than 3 hours though, start to irritate after that long.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Pussypads (Leg armer!)’ is closed to new replies.