Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Push fit bottom bracket in a knackered BB shell?
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

I’m currently riding an older trek topfuel in aluminium which has got a threaded bottom bracket. The threads have gone and I’m riding on a wobbly BB, which is ok as I can tighten it up and it’s then fine for a while.

Previously when this happened I had Argus Cycles in Bristol to put in a steel sleeve with new threads. This worked for a while but then I somehow managed to knacker the new threads as well.

Would one of these push fit bottom brackets do the job now that I don’t have any real threads in the frame?

Jonny the bike pikey.

wonnyj
    Free Member
    schmiken

No. You either need to have a new sleeve put in and pay someone to install a new BB correctly, chuck the frame or buy one of these and convert to square taper cranks.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Why won’t it work? Wrong length?

Not up for going back to square taper, so back to frame shopping I suppose

wwaswas

can Argus not resleeve it again and you get someone less hamfisted to fit future BB’s?

schmiken

It won’t work as the frame needs to be designed specifically for Pressfit BBs. Pressfit BBs are wider and larger (designed for bigger bearings). It’s like trying to force a BB30 crank into a standard frame. It’s never going to work!

wonnyj
    Free Member

I am pretty ham fisted its true!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Push fit bottom bracket in a knackered BB shell?’ is closed to new replies.