Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Punctures, worst thing known to man…
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

+1 for R.Lepcha

aracer
    Free Member

it tries to fix something that wasn’t broken in the first place.

So getting punctures isn’t “broken”?

Feel free to carry on having to stop to fix punctures if you insist. I’ll carry on not getting them with tubeless.

uplink
    Free Member

What’s a puncture? Been running Stans NoTubes for years now and no punctures whatsoever

That must be just marketing bollox 😆

R.lepecha

So getting punctures isn’t “broken”?

Feel free to carry on having to stop to fix punctures if you insist. I’ll carry on not getting them with tubeless.

Clearly tubeless doesn’t completely solve this issue though does it, evident from other posters.

That must be just marketing bollox

Some people dont have punctures in tubes for years. So clearly its not just a tubeless thing that one.

aracer
    Free Member

Clearly tubeless doesn’t completely solve this issue though does it, evident from other posters.

So not being perfect makes it useless, or not worth bothering with? It makes it a huge amount better than with tubes. At least that’s my experience – still yet to get as many punctures in the 9 years I’ve been running tubeless as in the one year before.

Some people dont have punctures in tubes for years.

In which case tubeless may not be that useful for them – for the rest of us it’s likely to make a big difference. Strangely the OP seems to be getting lots of punctures, yet he’s just as much of a luddite as you.

R.lepecha

It makes it a huge amount better than with tubes.

I cant see how it does, it still doesn’t completely solve the problem so why try fix something with something that doesn’t completely fix the problem?
    Seems a waste of time and effort.

yet he’s just as much of a luddite as you.

I don’t think he is, he doesn’t want to change to tubeless as it doesn’t solve the issue completely and it would be too much effort.

Anyway you keep running your tubeless wheelset and I’ll keep running my tubes, I’ll laugh at you when your stood next to me on the trail putting a tube in your tyre and getting gunky latex shit all over the place while I just whip the tube out and put another in.

Eat my trail dust.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Tubeless might be great, and I’m sure it works brilliantly for you. Problem is, It doesn’t completely solve the issue, improve it, it might do, but to go through all the hassle, and the ballache of when you do get a puncture with them, there not a good solve.

There more hassle than there worth and for the money, i think a schwalbe punture protection is likely to be more affective.

Your comment seems slightly flawed to me. I agree with R. Lepecha, whats the point in going through the hassle, in order for such minimal gain, people on the forum have stated Tubeless isn’t a complete fix!

I suppose the true answer is get a Co2 pump a spare tube, and sort it in seconds!

And “I’ll carry on not getting them with tubeless”

I’ll carry on laughing when i see you trying to lube your tyres up :’)

aracer
    Free Member

I cant see how it does

So less than 10% of the punctures isn’t “a huge amount better”? 🙄

it still doesn’t completely solve the problem so why try fix something with something that doesn’t completely fix the problem?

Because it gets pretty close – a lot closer than anything else. I presume you’d also dismiss heart transplants as not worth bothering with because some people still die, low energy bulbs not worth bothering with because they still use some electricity, and education not worth bothering with because some people still can’t make objective judgements about stuff?

I’ll laugh at you when your stood next to me on the trail putting a tube in your tyre and getting gunky latex shit all over the place while I just whip the tube out and put another in

Good luck with that – you’ll have to wait a while. I’ll probably have got bored by then with all the time I spend waiting for you to fix punctures.

R.lepecha

There more hassle than there worth and for the money, i think a schwalbe punture protection is likely to be more affective

or them puncture tape things, which basically act as the same thing but let you use any tyre but you get the idea!

aracer
    Free Member

for such minimal gain

I suppose the true answer is get a Co2 pump a spare tube, and sort it in seconds!

If it’s such a non issue, why start this thread?

R.lepecha

Because it gets pretty close – a lot closer than anything else. I presume you’d also dismiss heart transplants as not worth bothering with because some people still die, low energy bulbs not worth bothering with because they still use some electricity, and education not worth bothering with because some people still can’t make objective judgements about stuff?

Punctures ain’t a matter of life and death.
    Bulbs save money, tubeless costs money.
    Education is needed to produce a product that solves the puncture issue completely.

Foam tyre inserts anyone?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Plus, i’d ather not fiddle with my rims and “Bodge” them to go tubeless,
    or buy a set of rims primarily because there tubeless.

I’m just not a fan of the tubeless idea, especially when they do go wrong 🙂

The puncture tapes look good.

lewismorgan
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of punctures. Good luck with your alternative “solutions” which don’t completely solve the problem – and don’t even do as well as tubeless – yet seemingly are worth bothering with. 🙄

rob-jackson
    Free Member

you have not mentioned the reason for your puncture (or if you have i missed it)

If a snake bite then tubeless would probably have been ok

R.lepecha

The puncture tapes look good.

And are super cheap!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

agree to disagree?

R.lepecha

yet seemingly are worth bothering with.

Damn sight cheaper and less messy though.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

It was a blowout, the rear tyre came down hard!
    Plus with tubeless, the alfine means that if you take the wheel off, tensioning it again is a right nightmare! With tubes, you can get them a tube where it just loops round

+1 Tubes

rob-jackson
    Free Member

why do you need to take a wheel out when tubless? i don’t have to. Puncture that done seal can be fixed with the push through sticky string things.

What are these tubes you are on about that can be fitted without removing a wheel?

aracer
    Free Member

Damn sight cheaper and less messy though.

Damn sight less effective (they wouldn’t have prevented the OP’s original puncture). Damn sight worse tyre performance when using them.

R.lepecha

they are super cheap too!

lewismorgan
    Free Member

In that paticular instance, nothing would have prevented my puncture!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how do you not end up with a lump where the ends overlap?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

somehow, you don’t?
    There really quite affectively, and as long as your not moronic and put the tube in using common sense, there a damm good idea

rob-jackson
    Free Member

furry muff

aracer
    Free Member

In that paticular instance, nothing would have prevented my puncture!

A pinch? Tubeless does quite a good job of that.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

I can assure you, it wasn’t a pinch. I took off and smashed onto a sharp rock protruding. To be honest it flatspotted the rim.

aracer
    Free Member

So you put a hole in the tyre?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

nice to see the mature members on here cruz heckler

13thfloormonk

I battered down the Corrieyairick pass with 4 day’s worth of camping gear on my back with ghetto tubeless tyres, punting rocks left right and centre with the back wheel and didn’t puncture. I’ve misjudged drainage ditches and slammed the back wheel into the lip on the other side so hard it loosened spokes, but didn’t puncture. Don’t dismiss tubeless.

I don’t think Schwalbe tyres would prevent pinches, the extra material is underneath the tread, not in the sidewalls. They’re also ridiculously heavy. DH tyres would help, as would DH tubes, as would higher pressures.

I can’t see how puncture tapes would solve the problem either. Maybe try fatter tyres?

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Punctures, worst thing known to man…’ is closed to new replies.