Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 356 total)
  • Public servant pay freeze….
  • crikey
    Free Member

So, Gorgeous George, I 've spent the last 20 years working away quietly as a public servant, noticeably not involving myself in any global financial crisis shenanigans, not paying myself silly bonuses, not lending money to folk who can't repay, not suckling at the teat of the great goddess of finance, just paying my debts on time, including that negative equity that I got left with after the last conservative government got the old boom and bust thing a bit wrong, as well as paying into that mis-sold endowment mortgage scheme that is currently on track to return approximately one third of the value that the thrusting young financial adviser claimed it would, and now you'd like to freeze my pay to help 'us' out of this?

C**T.

dr_death
    Free Member

+1

stuey
    Free Member

+2

MrGreedy

+3
    This could get boring…

alwyn
    Free Member

Unfortunately your government haven't.

timwillows
    Free Member

+3

Oh to have a job so that my pay could get frozen

jam-bo

Don't worry, they haven't taken away your gold plated pension yet….

Haribo
    Free Member

im in the public sector and have a reasonable pay offer recently put on the table – by reasonable i mean i will bit their hands off for it.

waiting to see if it is still on the table 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

>Don't worry, they haven't taken away your gold plated pension yet….

+1

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

That's the deal these days. pay gets frozen. I don't see why public servants should be immune to it. The rest of us aren't (and I din't have anything to do with the economic crisis either)

You've got a job, possibly a secure one. If you have a tracker mortgage, then you're probably a bit better off.

It's not very pleasant. but that's life, eh?

Haribo
    Free Member

my wife works in the private sector and still has a substantial non contribuitory (sp) pension which will go up another 5% when she turns 30.

gold plated nah.

fwb2006
    Free Member

"Don't worry, they haven't taken away your gold plated pension yet"

+2

Lanesra
    Free Member

TBH, most public servants (apart from Nurses) are no more capable than the average person working in McDonalds.

I hope you're pension gets raped like Brown did for everyone elses

stumpyjon

"Don't worry, they haven't taken away your gold plated pension yet"

+46

sockpuppet

>Don't worry, they haven't taken away your gold plated pension yet….

honour the pension that was the reason many people took the (lower paid) jobs all those years ago? sounds fair to me

mogrim

I work in the private sector, got a great big 0% pay rise this year. Oh, and no pension scheme.

khegs
    Free Member

@Lanesra

ITYM the old witch maggie

Do you have to try hard to be such a ****, or does it just come naturally?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I'm also in the public sector but recognise that we've got to do something drastic to stop the nation going down the pan like the turd we've become thanks to El Gordo's profligate spending.

Desperately need to sort out the benefit system too; too many people will complain however, despite it being 100% necessary

crikey
    Free Member

Lanesra – Member
    TBH, most public servants (apart from Nurses) are no more capable than the average person working in McDonalds.

I hope you're pension gets raped like Brown did for everyone elses

Apart from nurses….

I'm a nurse.

I've been a nurse for 20 years.

I've done all the courses, I've done all the training.

I've never brought the country to its knees, I've just worked hard for a crappy wage, and now the Tory millionaire tosspots see me as some kind of savings bank for the country.

The man is a c**t.

Lanesra
    Free Member

khegs, are you my stw stalker?

Strange little man

thomthumb
    Free Member

quit then.

stumpyjon

What we probably need is quality rather than quantity, i.e. fewer, better public servants being paid more and giving a much better service. Trouble is Labour have just thrown resources at the public sector (people and money) without much clear management or heaven forbid any attempt to quantify whether the extra resources are justified or paying for themselves (monetarily or in terms of better service).

khegs
    Free Member

@lanesra

Nope, not especially, I just happen to have looked at 2 threads where you have been talking shit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pandering to the moral panic created by the right wing papers.

Gold plated pension? 1/2 of not a lot = naff all. Average pensions in the public sector are a few thousand a year Interestingly google gets results of £4000 to £25 000 pa for the pensions. Someone is at the fiddle.

The vast majority of public servants are low paid, part time and don not qualify for their full pensions due to service breaks.

This makes interesting reading Far from an unbiased source but a view from a different viewpoint than you normally see.

Taxpayers are paying £2.50 for subsidising the pensions of the richest one per cent of the population for every pound spent on paying pensions to retired public servants such as nurses, teachers and civil servants, according to new research published by the TUC.

This shows what I have repeatedly said on here – the tax relief on pensions is a transfer of money from poor to rich

Nor is the public sector paying fat cat pensions. The mean average public sector pension is £7,000 but the majority of public sector pensioners have pensions of less than £5,000. Unlike the private sector where boardrooms typically have special pension schemes for directors, senior public sector staff are in the same pension schemes as the rest of their staff.

stumpyjon

Oh and there are some pretty crap nurses out there too, they're not all halo wearing angels (there's also some damn good ones which we've been lucky enough to deal with in the last week). I do get a bit p*ssed when people defend a whole profession because it scores brownie points to do so. Good employees should get pay rises, poor employees should be counselled, retrained and then sacked if they don't improve. It takes rather a lot to get sacked from the public sector.

jam-bo

TJ – i left the civil service last year. for 8 yrs of service I will have an index linked pension of about 4k a year. pretty good i'd say if you take a look at what that would cost me to buy.

wasn't enough to keep me in an organisation full of the workshy and plain incompetent….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Khegs. It comes naturally to him I believe – he is certainly a consistently offensive right wing bigot of amazing ignorance and stupidity

stumpyjon

Yes TJ but even for the low paid public sector worker the pension scheme is still much better and more secure than for the equivalent private sector worker. Most private sector employees also have more 'service' breaks than public sector employees due to more regular redundancies.

I would also guess the majority of private sector workers are also low paid and many don't even get the chance of a employer contributed scheme.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jambo – you must have been very well paid then. the norm is 80ths of your last years salary for each years contributions – so you have 8 x 80ths – 1/10 – so you were on 40 k your last year? Sometimes its 60ths

Edited as the maths was wrong

jam-bo

good job your not maths teacher…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spotted that – is it right now?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stumpy – public sector workers earn less on average than the private sector

jam-bo

i was in early enough to get 60ths. new entrants get 80ths i believe.

crikey
    Free Member

Oh and there are some pretty crap nurses out there too, they're not all halo wearing angels (there's also some damn good ones which we've been lucky enough to deal with in the last week). I do get a bit p*ssed when people defend a whole profession because it scores brownie points to do so. Good employees should get pay rises, poor employees should be counselled, retrained and then sacked if they don't improve. It takes rather a lot to get sacked from the public sector.

+1

But then why should I be treated like some kind of national piggy bank, to have my pay frozen, when I've worked as hard as I can for the last 20 years?

If defending a whole profession is wrong, then so is a blanket freeze…

tinribz
    Free Member

+4

Someone tell me what they think these gold plated pensions are worth after FORTY YEARS service please. We're not talking the Police and Armed Forces levels here.

[rant]
    Talking of pay bill, how many of the CS's here like me are working side by side with a bewildering amount of consultants earning 10 times what they do?

And it's not just short termers or project teams, some have been feathering the nest 2 years and more on £1k a day. This is 'Management consultants' not just techy contractors. Where I am it goes up to director level on god knows what a day. One big social network public school gravy train.

I don't see any freezes in their wages because they're 'off the books' with creative accounting outside the paybill.

It's the same with the techy stuff, don't get me started on IT contracts, outsourcing for 5 times the cost of in house and replacing the in house with the same number of clueless 'relationship managers', genius.

Now we take cuts to pay for the mismanagement and bad decisions at the top.
    [/rant]

On the plus side, bring on the redundancy cash.

allthepies
    Free Member

Don't vote Tory then.

Lanesra
    Free Member

TJ, I know you're a bit of a simpleton but, something you may have failed to grasp is that the richest 1% pay far more tax than the average person earns per year.

jam-bo

tinribz – for someone retiring now with 40yrs service in the civil service? 2/3rd of the highest annual salary of the last three years of service.

plus a lump sum of 2 or 3 times that highest annual salary.

find a pension on the market that would give you that….

stumpyjon

crikey

I agree, treating everyone the same never works and is always unfair to someone in this context.

TJ

2 questions, when saying public sector workers are paid less on average is that for equivalent jobs? If it is doesn't the low pay reflect the generally better employment packages public sector works get, properly paid sick leave, better maternity / paternity arrangements / more chance of mobility between jobs / better job security / gold (or possibly brass) plated pensions etc. etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Public servant pay freeze….’ is closed to new replies.