Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • PSA – Shimano hubs ARE completely rebuildable
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

For anyone with a pitted NDS cup in their rear hub (naughty, naughty!) or front.

Yesterday I whacked a good one out of an old hub and then used that to replace one in a different hub (in a wheel). Couldn’t be simpler really, just like changing bearings in a Hope hub except you don’t need to support its outside only.

Many mechanics won’t have a ****ing clue about this process, although it was standard for Campag hubs (not sure about their newer ranges). All you need is a spare hub for all the parts – not even necessarily the same one, and often available cheaply (moreso than a Hope rebuild kit for instance).

So that’s that debate won then? *dusts hands*

Edric64
    Free Member

I have a ****ing clue as I remember doing this to Campag hubs about 25 years ago !

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d long suspected this was possible. I bet you can’t buy the cups on their own……

zbonty

Hmmm. I will certainly have a look next time; if I let one get pitted. You’re right about cheap hub availability. I snapped a DX front hub axle recently and found a modern Deore one @ On-one for £5. Cheap axle and cone replacement sorted.

I always enjoy wielding my cone spanners. It’s an almost forgotten art in cycling.

njee20
    Free Member

We’ve been doing this at my LBS for years, I’ve said so many times on here that it’s doable! They used to do at least one a week!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Awesome – that might get me out of a wheel build.

breadcrumb

I’ve been doing this for some time. I just but a donor hub and strip it down.

I’m tempted to make some salt and pepper shakers with the new empty hubs….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where were you lot during the dark “Hope vs. Shimano flame-a-geddon” years?

😀

Very satisfying though, I feel sorry for Hope users never knowing that – and their wasteful, expensive non-eco-friendly lifestyles!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Completely!!!??
    got the bit to take the freehub apart?
    That’s what goes first.

lcj

So, to rebuild a shimano hub you need…a shimano hub? 😀

singletrackmind

That sounds great , Now go and find me some 09 Ultegra Cones as my LBS say no longer available in UK. So Im looking at binning a perfectly good wheel because the importers are only now supporting 6700 and newer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK the freehub is not repairable – but it is replaceable.

Now go and find me some 09 Ultegra Cones as my LBS say no longer available in UK

They have searched for alternatives? I’d be very surprised if nothing compatible is available. Many LBS either are clueless or don’t care.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh and

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FH/EV-FH-6600-2348A_v1_m56577569830728262.pdf

Parts 9 and 13 – look very standard to me – plug the codes into the Madison website, I bet there’s something that will work.

mtbfix

Is it simply a case of drifting the cup out? I have a dead XT disc wheel and a not being used XT rim brake wheel for possible donor parts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Singletrackmind

Iirc that wheelset uses smaller bearings than normal shimano hubs

We had a chuffig pain getting cones only 1 year after selling the wheels

cheers_drive

I’ve used sale XT non disc hubs as freewheel and cone donors for XT factory wheels. The cups are pretty pitted so I may give this a try too.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have a couple of these
    775 series hubs and they do indeed have different bearings etc then previous ones.

Most other Shimano front hubs use 9 bearings, these use 11 and I guess they’re a different size.

Anyhow – that link above will take you to the service pdf for those hubs, so take a look. I think the giveaway might be that they use a hex key to unlock the locknut, not a cone spanner.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Been there, done that. Cheap old dead hub for donor to rejuvenate XT hubs! Keep a spares box of cups drifted from dead hubs, spare cones and balls from Petra Cycles.

tinsy
    Free Member

Singletrackmind, bear with me here I am only thinking aloud, now it seems changing the cups is easy enough, I wonder if standard shimano cups will fit in your hub, then its just a case of using normal size bearings & normal cones to match?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

As many others have, I’ve been there and done that.

Shimano hubs still weight a fair old pile. If one cares about such things.

weights, XT756s are (google says) Front:244g Rear: 435g… Hopes are Front 185g Rear 295g – and they’re far from the lightest cats on the block.

Also because the shimano freehub screws onto the main hub shell, the rear hubs never quite run true, it’s just impossible to machine threads accurately enough IIRC. So you get a wobbly cassette. If one cares about such things.

Sure, Shimano are cheap. But you can buy other hubs cheaply, too.

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

I bet you can’t buy the cups on their own……

Nah, but then you wouldn’t want to really- buy a hub, get fresh bearings, new seals, a spare freehub, even a QR if I remember rightly, for about what you’d expect to pay for a couple of little parts.

We found it pretty hard work to get one of the cones out, and I can see there might be compatablity issues over years (if the interference sizes changed) but yeah, it’s a pretty straightforward job- barely harder than changing cartridge bearings.

Toasty

Done exactly the same. Had 2 broken hubs (1 with knackered freehub, 1 with knackered cones), made 1 working hub.

I’d still have cartridge hubs in a heartbeat. As far as I’m concerned they should ditch the design entirely and we can go back to using 20mm axles.

I had one hub completely grind itself into dust, the pitted cup locked onto the bearings, the turning motion of the wheel tightened the cone. The wheel stopped spinning instantly, the bearings were powder, hub a total mess.

Seriously don’t see the selling point of using heavy, high maintenance hubs.

brassneck

What are people using as a drift to get the cups out? Think I have a wheel or two worth fixing up if it’s possible. Hammer Time is cathartic anyway.

Northwind

brassneck – Member

What are people using as a drift to get the cups out?

Suzuki motorbike axle… If you don’t have one, simply buy a whole bike and throw the bits you don’t want away, that’s the cup-and-cone way 😉

brassneck

😀

singletrackmind

Trail-Rat Yes , I am sure the 6600 uses a much smaller ball bearing 5/32? or something , and alot of them .
    LBS#1 reckoned bin wheel and buy something built using DT or Hope hubs if wanting long life and replacability.
    LBS#2 Is looking into options but not hopeful

ahwiles
    Free Member

Toasty – Member

Seriously don’t see the selling point of using heavy, high maintenance hubs.

but they’re not high maintenance.

the cheaper-than-deore 475 hubs on my commuter have done over 4000km, often in filthy weather.

i took them apart a couple of weeks ago (1 year service), the ‘old’ grease was still clear. 1 hour and a cup of tea later, the hubs were full of new grease, and running beautifully.

i see no reason why they can’t go 2 years (another 8000km) till their next service.

can you see the selling point in ‘cheap and reliable’ hubs?

tinsy
    Free Member

tinsy – Member
    Singletrackmind, bear with me here I am only thinking aloud, now it seems changing the cups is easy enough, I wonder if standard shimano cups will fit in your hub, then its just a case of using normal size bearings & normal cones to match?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Nice tip cynic-al, thought I go straight outside and try that with one of my donor hubs…

Success 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is all this to save having to build a new wheel? I thought every had whacked them out with a big hammer and screwdriver at some point in their life 😯

Toasty

can you see the selling point in ‘cheap and reliable’ hubs?

Yes, but that’s different words to what I said. I’ve had cartridge hubs, those on my Tricross’s Rovals for example, that have lasted 4 years currently without being touched.

For anything vaguely light I’d not go near cup and cone, all my issues specifically were with XT hubs. The Deore hub you’re quoting is like half a kilo, it’s probably got another Deore hub inside it, for when anything goes wrong.

I’d rather get a decent set of wheels, that I can swap the axles on regardless of what frame I’m using. That use the perfectly fine, industry standard rotor fittings. With the option of a 20mm axle. I’ve bought a set of Hope drifts and they’ve been fine on every set of cartridge hubs I’ve used to be honest.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I thought every had whacked them out with a big hammer and screwdriver at some point in their life

Not me! I’ve stripped everything else off donor hubs in the past to keep a favourite wheel running, but didn’t know the bearing cup would come out, until now… 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

I used a pair of 475 cheapies off road for 5 years before they died.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

These weight figures – is that including axles for the cartridge hubs..?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Shimano hubs ARE completely rebuildable

You just have to remember to seat the cup fully, or you’ll be adjusting out play/putting up with wobbly wheels ’till the cows come home. Yep, speaking from experience. 😳

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Tell you what – while you’ve got it out add a grease port 1/2 way through the width of the body. That’ll make them reliable!

takisawa2

I was doing this on wheels back in 1979/80.
    Pretty sure I did it on Skyways too.

Always thought there it was an opening for some bright spark to come out with a cartridge bearing conversion kit…

STATO
    Free Member

XT756s are (google says) Front:244g Rear: 435g… Hopes are Front 185g Rear 295g

These weight figures – is that including axles for the cartridge hubs..?

Those weights are the older 6bolt xt, tho both QR without skewers.
    Newer centrelock is lighter @ 180g F and 369g R (according to this)

But as states ealier is this thread, those hubs have poor reliability due to smaller bearings.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant the Hopes.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“yesterday I whacked out a good one”

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Shimano hubs ARE completely rebuildable’ is closed to new replies.