Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA: Radio4 0900 Tomorrow; The Life Scientic, James Lovelock
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Programme Info

Looks like it’s continuing to be an excellent series. Tomorrow, Jim al-Khalili talks to (one of my personal heroes) James Lovelock. He’s worth listening to, especially when it comes to climate change…he’s had the knack over the years of being rather accurate with his predictions. At 92, I fear our chances to listen to such a maverick will be fewer and rarer. This should be interesting, especially for some of the big hitters in the science debates. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd. Starting in twenty minutes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Was it worth a listen? Entertaining, interesting or just some old nutter who had a couple of lucky guesses? In short, is it worth recording the repeat?

alexpalacefan

Worth 1/2 hr of your time I’d say. Listened while digging in the garden, kept me amused, he’s a character all right!

APF

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks, I will record it later. PITA it’s not on iPlayer.

Garry_Lager

It’s on iplayer now – there must be a delay with putting it on after the broadcast.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

just some old nutter

😐

there must be a delay with putting it on after the broadcast.

That’d be it. I enjoyed it, though it didn’t reveal anything I hadn’t read or heard him say before. I could happily listen to him going on all day.

ps44
    Free Member

He’s worth listening to on climate change alright.

In an interview with msnbc.com, he admitted: ‘I made a mistake.’
    He said: ‘The problem is we don’t know what the climate is doing,’ he told ‘We thought we knew 20 years ago. That led to some alarmist books – mine included – because it looked clear cut, but it hasn’t happened.
    ‘The climate is doing its usual tricks. There’s nothing much really happening yet. We were supposed to be halfway toward a frying world.
    ‘[The temperature] has stayed almost constant, whereas it should have been rising – carbon dioxide is rising, no question about that.’

Fail.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Listened to it this morning. I’d have never had guessed his age!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow, a scientist admitted he made a mistake. Obviously with qualifying statements after, which are not included in your quote.

Interesting list of sites that come up when you google the text from that quote. 😆

tang
    Free Member

I also like his honesty on (our) consumption of power, and that the only viable option to meet need in the short term is nuclear power. As much as us green types wish it to be otherwise, he has a valid point. Look forward to iplayer later!

jfletch
    Free Member

There is a podcast of TLS as well. Good for listening in the car rather than having to use iPlayer

jonahtonto
    Free Member

it almost doesnt feel like work avoidance listening to this 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Radio4 0900 Tomorrow; The Life Scientic, James Lovelock’ is closed to new replies.