Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PSA – Mind bending science on BBC 4
  • menothim
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s a bit late but a great Horizon on Beeb 4 just now – about the origins of the universe.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Now, the show production is annoying. Not that I have a suggestion how else to do it. So, who gets the idea that…

The universe expands and entropies to the point where all mass has decayed to mass-less photons. At which point there is no sense of time, space or gravity. So the size of the universe is at once huge and infinitesimally small. Then there is a big bang!

[hed hurtz]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Load of cobblers. 🙄

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I just want to know why they get so much funding.

lipseal
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Load of cobblers

cynic-al
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s a bit much, Al! 😯

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I just want to know why they get so much funding.

I think they do the funny maths in between giving lectures.

Time on big telescopes costs ££££ though. The laser interferometry facility looks expensive esp. as it’s compromised by noise. But the space version (LISA) is eye watering – 2 billion Euros. Imagine trying to formation fly a constellation of robotic spaceships millions of km apart at Lagrange points with enough precision not to mess up the interferometry! It will likely get axed. Which is a shame in a way as the LISA Pathfinder mission development is ticking along OK.

Be cool if they detected gravity waves – I think Einstein’s work predicts them, and he was a dude.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Typical Horizon dreamy music, voice and visuals aside, was very interesting. Had to rewind as I thought I’d missed the bit where they tried to explain what Mersini Houghton’s theory was. They sort of said it was a bit of everything, applying string throry to a wave representation of the universe, but that was it. Assume it was so abstract and complicated that they just gave up!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Mind bending science on BBC 4’ is closed to new replies.