Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • BIKES STOLEN CALDERDALE – £10k garage raid on Saturday
  • wl
    Free Member

A good friend had his garage broken into in the small hours of Saturday night, in the Midgely/Luddenden area. Five bikes were nicked, with a total value of somewhere around £10k. This was the second theft in as many years, despite the fact that his garage was secure, fitted with a motion sensor, and the bikes were chained to the concrete floor with a very heavy duty chain which the thieves used an angle grinder to cut.

Please keep your eyes peeled and drop me a line (email in my profile) if you spot – or hear about – any of the three bikes listed below:

– 2012 Orange Five, 20″, Kermit Green, white Fox 32s with Kashima, dropper, flat carbon bars, Stans rims.
    – Shand ‘Stooshie’ cross bike in moss green
    – Da Rosa ‘King’ road bike in red and white

Police have been notified. Cheers for any help – much appreciated. And take care of your bikes – there’s a lot of stealing going on at the moment.

woody2000

🙁 Not again

Get some pics up, that will help people to spot them. By the sounds of it though, they’ll be long gone somewhere I reckon. Sounds too “pro” for them to be sticking around for long.

somouk
    Free Member

Does sound like a well organised job. Was the garage not alarmed?

Hope he was insured!

Clover

🙁

kayak23

Terrible.
    They used an Angle grinder in the early hours undisturbed?
    Kind of scary how brazen these scumfeeders are…

warton
    Free Member

gutting, but a double gutted for

– Da Rosa ‘King’ road bike in red and white

lovely bike, and very rare, so hopefully that will be easy(er) to spot 🙁

wl
    Free Member

Waiting for pics from my friend – I said I’d post on here as he doesn’t. Defo a well organised theft – timed it for a windy/noisy night, must have had a decent van, nicked loads of bike bits while ignoring other stuff and must have taken a while to get the job done. Slim chance of getting the bikes back but you never know…

wl
    Free Member

Bumping, in a good cause.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

They obviously found out there was something worth taking. Question is how? Ive come to think that all the security measures are worth zero compared to keeping your bikes location anonymous. Its too much of a coincidence to think they came to his garage on the off chance of finding something worth nicking. Im gutted at his loss but think like a lot of these organized bike thefts a radical rethink is required?

fieldy
    Free Member

Thieving b@st@rds!!!
    Still looking for mine, and a mate text me this morning to say he found two lads in his van at 3 am this morning. They didn’t take anything and managed to run off! Cleckheaton area West Yorkshire.
    Definitely too much of this happening at the moment. Scary thing is though, they could be on this forum. Watching Strava or Endomondo etc. We just don’t know?

shandcycles
    Free Member

This was his Shand Stooshie. If it still has that bar tape it should be pretty identifiable. Also we didn’t do many with that fork.

Gutted for him.

Robin’s Stooshie by shandcycles, on Flickr

wl
    Free Member

shandcycles – thanks v much for the pic – I didn’t have any.

And no, it wasn’t a coincidence – he’d been robbed before, so they will have expected him to replace the bikes and known they were onto a dead cert. Depressingly little we can do about this sort of strategy.

Thanks everyone for any help, info, and even just keeping a lookout or spreading the word.

willber
    Free Member

I’m at a total loss as to how you can stop this happening. If you secure them so well that they cant cut them free, they just saw through the frames and strip the parts.

Beginning to think the only way is a vault within your garage.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think they knew about the bikes somehow, either following or club forum, facebook? Shand is a stand out bike.

Happened here at Bristol MBC. Advertised only on the club forum that there was a skills weekend with Clive Forth who was staying with club president the sat night. I went to the demo day on the sat. That night they stole all there bikes from the club presidents house while the slept. Coincidence? No.

My point is they get their info from somewhere

hora
    Free Member

2nd theft in 2yrs from the same garage?

Not good. Maybe the thieves monitor the area like a farmer with his crops. 🙁

fieldy
    Free Member

When my bikes got stolen in December last year the police said that the thieving b@st@rds will probably revisit in 3 to 6 months, when you’ve been payed out by insurance company and bought new bikes!!
    My insurance offer doesn’t even cover cost of one bike!!

wl
    Free Member

The friend’s insurance will only partly cover his loss – he’s well out of pocket.

fieldy
    Free Member

same with me…been offered £500 per bike. which is why I need to find them! otherwise I’ll be about £3000 out of pocket. An expensive lesson learned from an insurance perspective.

shermer75
    Free Member

There seems to be a lot of this going on. It would be good to know how and where they are being sold!

grum
    Free Member

Goddamit. Will keep an eye out but I guess it’s unlikely we’ll see them anywhere near here.

Pretty worrying that this happens even if you’ve done most things you can to make the bikes secure. 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

Did they disable the motion detector or did it just not work ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘BIKES STOLEN CALDERDALE – £10k garage raid on Saturday’ is closed to new replies.