• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Kato.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a singlespeed chain please
  • Kato

Snapped another PC1 today and it hurt this time.

Any recommendations? One that isn’t prone to snapping would be nice as i’d like to keep my nuts intact.

unovolo
    Free Member

Never had any problems with a KMC K510 ,just took one off my singlespeed roadbike which has been on there for 7years and is wellworn according to my chain checker but never had any slippage,creaks,breaks.

Just put a new gold one on my other singlespeed and also run KMC chains on my geared bikes.

ssboggy

KMC +1 Without doubt a PC1 is the worst singlspeed chain I’ve ever had

john_l
    Free Member

I’ve found that 9spd SRAM work best.

sv

KMC610 they were £8 on crc.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I had a BMX chain on my Roadrat. I doubt Sir Chris Hoy would be able to break that.

Haze

Got through a few PC1’s (oddly enough always in cold weather?) before I discovered the Wippermann White Star 108.

Never snapped a single link and only ever replaced when they start to look a bit shabby.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have used pc-1s for years and never had any issues. They stretched in and stayed the same for a year and then I changed them out. Then the last one I had stretched and stretched until it was goosed after 3 months and was wearing the sprockets. They must have changed materials or something. Now running a 3/32 kmc silver chain and hasn’t stretched at all, runs perfectly silent and glad I moved over to them.

amplebrew

sv – Member
    KMC610 they were £8 on crc.

Another fan of the Z610 here.

I’ve been running a Z610 HX and it’s been faultless.

I’d certainly recommend one and as sv said they’re £7.99 at CRC.

plus-one

Kmc 510 hx is longer lasting than standard 510 for only few more quid 🙂 used them for few years now on 3 ss bikes

jecca
    Free Member

Can you use a quick style link with any of these or is it a case of carrying a chain tool?

edhornby

kmc610 for me as well, you could use a quick link but I wouldn’t bother as they are easy enough to rivet and consider the amount of mashing of a gear that you do compared to a geared bike, also one less thing to go wrong which is the whole point of SS. (Edit) in the spares bag yes 🙂

tom200

Still take a chain tool, otherwise it will be down to fate in terms of weather you can use your link!
    +1 for KMC, so cheap buy 2.

jecca
    Free Member

Having problems removing my rear wheel with chain attached is my issue so would ideally like a quick link set up. Will experiment with tensioner positioning a bit more to see if I can alleviate the problem.
    Ordered one of those 610’s as a spare. Thanks.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have quick links on all my KMC chains (and Sram ones previously) have never had a problem with them coming apart accidentally.

I do carry a pocket chain tool though just in case.

nickc

I’ve found that 9spd SRAM work best.

Is the right answer.

DrP

^^
    Unless you have 1/8th chainrings….

DrP

Andy-R

I always use KMC Z610HX but……

edhornby – Member
    kmc610 for me as well, you could use a quick link but I wouldn’t bother as they are easy enough to rivet

surely it’s much easier to just use a split link, than faff about trying to join the chain by rivetting it?

breadcrumb

Having problems removing my rear wheel with chain attached is my issue so would ideally like a quick link set up.

How will you get any slack in the chain to be able to undo the quick link?

I think it was KMC 810 I’ve mostly been using for SS, CRC had them for peanuts for a while.

Andy-R

breadcrumb – Member
    How will you get any slack in the chain to be able to undo the quick link?

Use a normal split link, not a quick link – you don’t need any slack then.

breadcrumb

Ah, yes of course! My Langster has one, too early for me!

madjak
    Free Member

Have a Gusset half link BMX chain, much stronger than normal multispeed chains and easier to set up for a SS.

Andy-R

Have a Gusset half link BMX chain, much strongerheavier than normal multispeed singlepeed chains and easier to set up for a SS. totally unneccessary.

If you need to fine-tune the chain length, one half link will do the same job.

Kato

Cheers. Will give KMC a go. It’s on an EBB Love/Hate so no need for half links

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a singlespeed chain please’ is closed to new replies.