Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PSA Lairig an Laoigh(pass of the calves)- glen Feshie loop
  • fergal
    Free Member

Just a heads up if you fancy doing this, I would suggest not doing it the way it is described in the wild trails, Scotland mtb guide, it is totally bonkers to do it anti clockwise, up the fantastic Glen Derry descent, no payback for the slog over Bynack mor shoulder, the descent really is rubbish, numerous water bars frequently disrupt the descent on this upgraded section of trail. You will then have to ride/push up the great Feshie singletrack, sunblime to descend, if you do decide to do it this way, good luck.

I did it clockwise, the highlight being the Glen feshie singletrack and the Glen derry descent, which goes on for an eternity and is quite au natural apart from a few sections near the top, good enjoyed it.

scotroutes

Weird. Even having not ridden it all, I’d have never thought anti-clockwise made sense. Can I ask how long it took you?

fergal
    Free Member

I started at linn of Dee, with a stop over in Aviemore, two 6hr days.

GavinB

Cheers for the heads up. What’s the riding like in Strath Nethy (directly W of Bynack More/Beg, as either climb or descent? Heading over that way this weekend.

fergal
    Free Member

Strath Nethy is a no go area is it not? total bogfest/bushwacking, with no real trail on the ground, i believe, Sanny to the forum.

scotroutes

NEVER, EVER take a bike along Strath Nethy

highlandman
    Free Member

Scotroutes beat me to it. StrathNethy is appaling, don’t even think about it.

And yes, clockwise for that main route is excellent, anti is just wrong, unless you really like sweating up nice bits of singletrack thinking that this would work way better the other way around…

GavinB

Scotroutes – that sounds like the voice of experience! Fair enough, looked quite inviting on the map as a way of climbing away from Loch Avon, then dropping back to Glenmore.

chickenman

I did this in a day over 11 hours a couple of years back; did it anti-clockwise and lost the will to live; almost..
    Hated the Feshie/Geldie watershed part and most of the climb up to the Byback shoulder was on/off. had 2 pinch flats on the waterbars, ran out of tubes and had to push for 3 miles. was rescued by a passing Glenmore staff member out for a ride.
    Fergal, there are some great rides out from Braemar over the tops to put on your list!

fergal
    Free Member

I’m all ears, where would you recommend, i do believe a descent is hard earned, really loved Macdui a few years ago, but I guess that will be hard to beat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PSA Lairig an Laoigh(pass of the calves)- glen Feshie loop’ is closed to new replies.