Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • PSA – Guy Martin episode 2 channel 4 – 8pm
  • trout
    Free Member

Why did they not also put some small foils on the forks to stop it diving
    rules said they are allowed for safety reasons

CountZero

Mister P – Member
    Why didn’t the bike have some sort of transmitter on it? I thought a float on a bit of rope was a bit low-tech.

The transmitter wouldn’t have helped, they knew roughly where the bike was, which is all a transmitter would have done, and that water was very murky, even a strobe probably wouldn’t have shown up more than a meter or so away; their torches were very bright, and only picked it out around that distance.
    The buoy was the obvious choice, and it worked second time, it was only fouling on the marker caused it to come off.

vickypea
    Free Member

I always enjoy watching Guy Martin 😉

mick_r

Dunno… but he has got one of these.

On the Holcombe ride last month he mentioned the Volvo had some internal engine snappage 🙁

I was looking for stuff on the Hope website the other day and they showed the Rourke on display in reception (complete with rusty drivetrain).

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG563

sadexpunk

bump, cos its that time again. except episode 3 tonight 🙂

piemonster

Bumps again, as it’s now on.

allthepies
    Free Member

on-one merino top FTW

mt
    Free Member

Brant will be pleased

zippykona

I’m wearing mine as well. Feel like im part of the team.

PrinceJohn

Really? 80 miles a day cycle commute? That’s more miles a year than I do in my car. It would also mean approx 5-6 hrs a day on the bike…

mt
    Free Member

remember it’s the telly they fib a bit

marcus7
    Free Member

no tea yet… drac will be gutted…. 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

Probably uses his motorbike 😉

Glider looked fun 😀

toppers3933
    Free Member

Hands up who wants to go flying in a glider with that bloke. 😀

deviant
    Free Member

He lives in rural Lincolnshire, shouldn’t be too difficult to average 20mph in that area as opposed to stop/start urban commuting.
    I reckon 4 hours a day on the bike, 2 hours there and 2 hours back in the evening.

5-6 hours? You’re judging him by podgy STW standards!

marcus7
    Free Member

he said 40 didn’t he??? 20 each way so t too bad??

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

80 miles a day cycle commute?

I thought he meant 40 miles there & back, meaning 20 each way.

That’s still 200 miles a week though if he works 5 days

MrSmith
    Free Member

Typical MTB-roadie wearing baggies on the road bike. Surprised he didn’t have a camelback on too.

lunge

This may be an odd question but what is he commuting to? I thought he was a professional motorcyclist.

toppers3933
    Free Member

He’s a truck mechanic by trade. How much truck mechanicing he does these days is anyone’s guess.

marcus7
    Free Member

truck mechanic by trade as far as I remember.

grahamt1980

He is a truck mechanic. The motorbike stuff is more a sideline for him

PJ266
    Free Member

Truck mechanic by trade, it’s almost as if no one else knows this 😉

lunge

Is he a truck mechanic?!

toppers3933
    Free Member

Nah. Traffic warden.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

he likes to point out that he’s only a ‘truck mechanic’ but he must get more time off for racing motorbikes, making tv programs, racing mountain bikes, promoting tyco suzuki, guy martin racing etc. You’d he think he was the bosses son or something 🙄

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

[Wants to see Tony Martin in same thingy.]

Why aren’t they using a recumbent stylee?

PrinceJohn

He probably has more than the usual 28 days holiday allowance.

Probably earns more as well..

CountZero

They said forty miles there, and back, each day, so I take that to be an 80 mile commute.
    Guy’s pretty handy flying that glider!
    Edit] and I don’t mind admitting that if I’d been sitting where a Guy was during that low-level run, I’d have been crapping myself!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Could it have been ‘fourty miles, there and back, each day’?

core

How many bikes has he got? Saw him on 3 or 4 different ones tonight alone!

I’m enjoying the series so far, but the engineering/science, though seemingly high tech at the outset, has kind of ended up with some sort of compromise, or dare I say it a bodge, which coupled with apparently running out of time ends up with them finishing on a bit of a happy whimper rather than a triumph.

Maybe budget restrictions?

I couldn’t help thinking that basing their plane (hpa) around a standard road bike could be at the cost of efficiency & aerodynamics??? (but I’m probably way out)…….

I thought Guy now lived oop Naarth? Trying to find people with his accent maybe (see other Guy Martin threads).

toppers3933
    Free Member

Does it matter how far his commute is?

CountZero

I’m enjoying the series so far, but the engineering/science, though seemingly high tech at the outset, has kind of ended up with some sort of compromise, or dare I say it a bodge, which coupled with apparently running out of time ends up with them finishing on a bit of a happy whimper rather than a triumph.

What was the compromise, or bodge? They had the issue with the wing, for sure, but the main issue was with the 10mph headwind, and they still got the fastest flight of the meeting, against highly experienced teams, and using a completely new type of construction.
    Seems pretty triumphant to me.

core

Perhaps I’m being harsh, I’ve just felt after the first 3 – “what if?”

wiggles
    Free Member

I know what you mean, seems like after spending 6 months making something you might try and fly it on more than one day.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

eddiebaby
    Free Member

dirtyrider
    Free Member

He lives in rural Lincolnshire, shouldn’t be too difficult to average 20mph in that area as opposed to stop/start urban commuting.

my commute in rural lincolnshire is 20 miles and its easy in an hour, theres only 2 hills, one in kirton lindsey and one in Scampton

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

How many bikes has he got? Saw him on 3 or 4 different ones tonight alone!

part of its appeal, homage to the backstreet/shed inventor tradition in the UK? Really enjoyed this series; could do without the overly melodramatic music and post-advert re-caps, but its a bit of science, a bit of engineering, a bit of bodge and have-a-go spirit and enough of a positive feel-good ending even if no official records (the water one wasnt sanctioned by Guinness).

Should be compulsory viewing for pre-GCSE schooling, maybe encourage a few more people to look at science and engineering.

He keeps riding an Orange CarbO and from his helmet stickers is sponsored by Orange and Hope, he had a fixie built by Rourke who built the speed bike in his van, but I noticed on the road-training clips he was on a Specialized with a power meter. And borrowed a track bike built for someone 6’8″…

Typical MTB-roadie wearing baggies on the road bike.

Hope-branded, his sponsors?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Guy Martin episode 2 channel 4 – 8pm’ is closed to new replies.