• This topic has 37 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • PSA – Fox forks bargain??
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member
    D0NK

if you've got a big headtube yeah

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just got a new 1.5" frame

psychle
    Free Member

an mmmBop perchance? 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆

maybe

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

bargain. MMbop tastic

psychle
    Free Member

me too… tempted by that Fox, but I do have a perfectly good set of push'd Pike 454's that I should use… 😆

There's certainly going to be a profusion of Ragleys out on the trails over autumn and winter, that's for sure! Good marketing exercise from CRC and Brant methinks 8)

jonahtonto
    Free Member

if i were you id go for a really nice, very cheap, second hand set of manitou sherman's at only 100 quid delivered wink wink lol

firestarter
    Free Member

I almost bought them this morning but at the last moment spotted the 1.5 bit . Nearly a costly mistake lol

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are lots of Fox tapered steerer tube forks going cheap on the web and in shops at the moment. Seems lot's of stock was taken that has not perhaps been mirrored by uptake of the standard? Or maybe it's so new a standard and most likely adopted via a new bike purchase (rather than just a frame) that there's no demand as yet for replacement forks.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

if i were you id go for a really nice, very cheap, second hand set of manitou sherman's at only 100 quid delivered

I'm guessing if you were me you wouldn't even need to deliver them 😆

psychle
    Free Member

bugger it… £300 after Quidco cashback, to good to pass up… so there'll be a set of Pikes on the classifieds soon! 😆

Shandy
    Free Member

Those would go lovely on an mmmBop. I like being able to stick the Talas at 120 on my Bluepig, it sharpens it up nicely on the flat.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Wow, they look ace. I've just persuaded my hubby to buy an Mmmbop – I wonder if I can persuade him to try these too? Probably not, but if it were me, I'd snap them up!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

DAMN YOU CHAIN REACTION AND YOUR SALES!!!!

organic355
    Free Member

Ive never seen a tapered steerer tube like that before, whats that all about then? Anyone explain please?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

A younger and more reckless me – with no family to look after – would have the credit card out right now…

…and then I would have been looking for new hubs/wheels to work with the QR15 standard 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ive never seen a tapered steerer tube like that before, whats that all about then? Anyone explain please?

It's a new(ish) thing that the bike companies invented to make us think we need to spend more money. I bit like bolt-thru' forks, BB30 and other standards that have appeared in recent years when everyone realised that most bikes were actually pretty damn good. "yes, they might be good, but with tapered steerers THEY CAN BE BETTER"

organic355
    Free Member

No real benefit then apart from some minimal weight savings?

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-459474.html

D0NK

does anyone do a reasonably priced 1.5" to tapered reducer headsets? I had enough trouble finding a 1.5" to 1.125" reducer that didn't cost a fortune.

Stilltoroise, while I'm as cynical of marketing as the next embittered skin flint cyclist I'm not sure I agree with you. Are you seriously saying bolt thru has no advantages?

toons
    Free Member

It’s to do with the load on the bottom cup, meant to be stiffer blah blah.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

is this cheap enough?

out of stock mind you

freeridenick
    Free Member

Would be the perfect fork for the new on one ti 456 as that comes with the tapered headtube.

mocha
    Free Member

I think Problem Solvers or another brand that ID distribute do reducer/adapter things for £25. I think that's pretty reasonable.

D0NK

is this cheap enough?

was that for me ST? That looks like a headset for a tapered headtube not for 1.5HT with tapered fork, I could be wrong tho. But yes still a bit pricey I've been paying £20ish for the quite good fsa xl2 headsets 1.125 only tho.

Would be the perfect fork for the new on one ti 456 as that comes with the tapered headtube.

Yep or the new orange 5, wouldn't mind either of those 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yes it was Donk

I see what you mean now. In that case I've not seen one on my web travels, but they MUST exist somewhere. Otherwise buy two very cheap headsets – one 1.125 and one 1.5 – and save the spare bits for when inverted tapered head tubes are the next big thing 😆

D0NK

Just to clarify/be a pedant, you'd need parts from a 1.5to1.125 reducer headset and a 1.5 headset for an mmmbop or other 1.5" frame

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yep, understood, but they MUST be out there somewhere as one headset. Maybe that's why the forks are so cheap – no one can get the headset.

I just got a 1.5 to 1.125 reducer for my mmmBop (£32) and I'll stick with a 1.125 fork for now

mocha
    Free Member

Cane Creek do the mix and match headset thing but when I phoned the importers ExtraUK the other week they had some coming but had absolutely no idea when!

DT78
    Free Member

Sorry I'm probably being dumb –

For the headset would using the bottom half of a 1.5 Hope headset and the top half of a 1.5 reducer hope headset work with these forks?

(currently have the 1.5 reducer headset)

And second question, are these better than pike 454s? I imagine they would be a bit lighter?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yes if your head tube is 1.5" both ends rather than tapered

dirtyrider
    Free Member

hope allow you to mix and match parts when ordering, any lbs will be able to do this for you

stilltortoise
    Free Member

it's now becoming very clear why these forks are on offer 😆

marsdenman
    Free Member

lordy – heck of a price – imagine one or two folk will bag a set and put them aside for when the white 456 carbon comes in… that is a tempter!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

OK dirtyrider, I take it back. Maybe I will get some then 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

noooooooo – just looked at the on-one site and it seems the 456 is coming in in metallic blue similar colour to my current bike… add white forks
    nice or naff (note – only dreaming right now but…)

DT78
    Free Member

they are all gone now!!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Fox forks bargain??’ is closed to new replies.