Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • PSA: Cheap MacBook Pro's
  • mboy
    Free Member

That might seem like a contradiction in terms, but if there is anyone out there after a new 13″ MacBook Pro, get onto PC World’s website… They are selling through the last generation i7 (2.7GHz instead of the 2.8GHz in the current model, makes square root of sod all difference) with 500GB HD and 4GB of RAM for £998.97, basically the same price as the i5 version, but a significantly faster processor.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/apple-mc724b-a-macbook-pro-13-laptop-09809603-pdt.html

Anyway, picked myself up an early Christmas Present today as a result… Was going to look at the base model i5 in the new year, but an i7 machine for the same price was just too good to pass up on. Oh, and you may get lucky/unlucky like I did as whilst it’s listed on their website as shipping with Snow Leopard, mine has got Lion Pre-installed.

Maybe not quite the bargain of the century, but ANY discount off an Apple product is nigh on unheard of (even as a student the most I can get is about 14%) so more than 25% off a new laptop albeit an outgoing model is good going…

Now just to bung 8GB of RAM in (currently under £32 from ebuyer) and save like crazy for a decent sized SSD… 🙄

prettygreenparrot

Neat. A friend got a great deal on a 15″ MBP at a comet ‘closing down’ sale recently.

grantway
    Free Member

Think you’ll find the new i5 chip runs near has faster than there last years top chip.
    Have fun I have not looked back since after changing from a PC

mboy
    Free Member

Think you’ll find the new i5 chip runs near has faster than there last years top chip.

That’s almost certainly correct, but this isn’t last year’s i7… It’s a mid 2011 SandyBridge i7, basically the only difference between the newest machine and this one is a 0.1GHz clock speed hike. So the 2.7GHz i7 in this one is still about 18-20% faster than the 2.3GHz or 2.4GHz i5’s in the lower MacBook Pro’s, yet for the same price.

Have fun I have not looked back since after changing from a PC

Way ahead of you… Been on Mac’s for more than 5 years now, it was just time for a new machine really… 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Cheap MacBook Pro's’ is closed to new replies.