Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA 100gb one drive space for dropbox users
  • geoffj

The cloud storage wars continues

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2015/02/20/get-100gb-free-onedrive-storage

Fill yer footwear!

nbt

>for 1 year

hmm, what happens after 1 year? does your stuff get deleted, or just made inaccessible until you pay up?

nickjb
    Free Member

Only for a year, though. I suppose when it is up there might be another offer.

Not nearly as much but dropbox are offering an extra 3Gb for life when you install their carousel app. Its actually quite good, too.

Cougar

Nice spot. Just signed up and can confirm it works. I bet Dropbox are pissed.

Irritating that you have to subscribe to their mailing list that you can unsubscribe from at any time.

geoffj

The 1 year thing may be an issue, but things will have moved on so much in that time, that I’d not be surprised if the normal free offering was around 100 gb when the offer expires.

Cougar

Not nearly as much but dropbox are offering an extra 3Gb for life when you install their carousel app. Its actually quite good, too.

You know, I Dropbox’s model really annoys me. They drip-feed you small amounts of extra storage for spamming everyone you’ve ever met (who aren’t interested because they’ve already signed up and doing the same thing) and jumping through whatever other hoops benefit them this week. It’s the RPG of the storage world, got to keep levelling up. If they just went “here’s a decent amount of storage” I’d be far more likely to use them.

brassneck

I got bored of trying to keep up and shoehorn/workaround and ended up just paying Apple a couple of quid a month for 200GB as it works with my home stuff. Once they sort out iPhoto/Photo/whatever sync to it I’m done really.

deadkenny
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    hmm, what happens after 1 year? does your stuff get deleted, or just made inaccessible until you pay up?

As far as I understand, nothing is deleted, it just becomes read only. However you can’t add anything until you pay up or delete content until it’s within your storage limit again. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/storage-subscription#

Still, it’s £1.99 a month thereafter for 100GB, and in a years time that may have changed or the freebie allowance improved, plus there may be another offer.

There’s also the ongoing 1TB for £7.99 a month which includes Office 365, but I’ve got all of Office through my business and no need for 1TB really.

P.S. There’s the existing 100GB offer via Bing Rewards. This is for two years and most sites are claiming it’s available globally, but it’s not. Go to the link and you have to sign up for Bing Rewards which is US only and it will say “not available in your country” if you’re in the UK. People are getting around it with VPN connections to US IP addresses etc, but I suspect if they catch on you could lose it. http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-and-bing-rewards-extend-100gb-onedrive-offer-globally (edit: and the links don’t work any more anyway)

scrumfled
    Free Member

You know, I Dropbox’s model really annoys me. They drip-feed you small amounts of extra storage for spamming everyone you’ve ever met (who aren’t interested because they’ve already signed up and doing the same thing) and jumping through whatever other hoops benefit them this week. It’s the RPG of the storage world, got to keep levelling up. If they just went “here’s a decent amount of storage” I’d be far more likely to use them.

erm…. its free. If you dont like it, you could always pay for access. Its almost the same mantra some bike related sites trot out about advertising 😉

zilog6128

You know, I Dropbox’s model really annoys me.

“Try a limited version for free, if you like it pay for the full thing” nahhh, that’ll never catch on as a business model!

FWIW I have 8.8 Gb free now (with only 5 referrals) which is enough for what I use it for at the moment so I’m not complaining! I think you could get about 22 Gb if you maxed out on the referrals (or just created loads of new email addresses!) and other things they want you to do for free space. I have 20 Gb on iCloud as well, which costs me 79p per month (which I think is reasonable.)

Cougar

erm…. its free. If you dont like it, you could always pay for access. Its almost the same mantra some bike related sites trot out about advertising

(-:

It’s more akin to deciding you’re not going to use that bike related site and then still getting the adverts.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think you could get about 22 Gb if you maxed

Just gone up to 25Gb with the new app. I’ve got the full amount now. Got the referrals by slightly dubious means but didn’t spam any friends.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA 100gb one drive space for dropbox users’ is closed to new replies.