Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 235 total)
  • Proud To Be British Day
  • rossi46
    Free Member

Ok so it’s raining but that’s part of the deal right?
    Sod the queen, let’s put the great back into Britain- celebrate our great nation and show me your pics that make you proud to be British.

Land of Slopes and Quarries…………Singletrack in the grass………..Tree’s that grab your bar ends…………… and dump you on your arse!

😀

rossi46
    Free Member

This sort of thing:

It was wet, it was muddy, it was Wales and it was awesome 😉

Happy days….

cynic-al
    Free Member

What if you’re northern Irish?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Or Scottish

terrahawk
    Free Member

Or Scottish

You’re British. deal with it 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

northern Irish are not British. the united kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland. Great britain is just the island that comprises Scotland England and Wales

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quelle surprise, the misreablists arrive nice and early.

Well, stuff you!

With some of this;

Village cricket
    BBQ in the rain
    The art of the queue
    Being polite (except when the situation merits rudeness 😉 )
    Steve Redgrave
    Proper beer
    Welsh Lamb
    Scotchish beef
    Fresh watercress, plucked from a chalk stream. With trout from that same stream.
    Hedgerows
    Elgar
    Salisbury Cathedral
    The Museums in That London
    And so, so much more!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Not for long 😀

Freedom

trailmonkey

Or Scottish

what if you’re english, republican and a non unionist ?

vinnyeh

Well, I’m not British, but I like living here, and would rather be here than NZ or Aus, where I could be if I wanted.

I found this shirt from Howies just a bit sad, actually, though I guess it’s just meant to be self deprecating.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

what if you’re english, republican and a non unionist ?

Go ride your bike and keep out of the way.

zippykona

HRH Lord Sir Duke Bobby Moore OBE CBE MBE

rossi46
    Free Member

Quelle surprise, the misreablists arrive nice and early.

Well said Flash- although you missed out strawberries and cream at Wimbledon 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That t shirt follows a common misconception – the Great in great britain means big – as in once Scotland was assimilated

rossi46
    Free Member

And for me personally (and anyone else who also goes fishing in Britain), this : Winter Grayling 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

No misery here, just pointing out a common mistake.

Some say the English assume it’s all about them, I think it may be due to their inferior education system 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    That t shirt follows a common misconception – the Great in great britain means big – as in once Scotland was assimilated

I’d heard another theory that the great was there to show it was bigger than Brittany… greater brittany, or something.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Well loads of you will think I’m mad… but that London is pretty special.

I honestly don’t think there is a city in the world that mixes so much history with cutting edge contempory so well.

There as so many iconic sites and thing to see…. If you were a foreign tourist in London this weekend you’d be wishing your country was this Great.

althepal

Quite happy to buy into this, rather than the Olympics..
    At least the Royal family actually have a connection to Scotland (not talking bout them owning half of it!!)

Sandwich

Real ale in a thatched pub with friends.
    Haddock and chips on a Friday night.
    Wet droughts!

trailmonkey

Go ride your bike and keep out of the way.

can i keep out of the way though ?

we’re led to believe that……….

the £10.5m budget has been raised from individual donations and corporate sponsorships

yet……..

The Greater London Authority has budgeted £2m for outside screens, road closures, signage and similar expenses. It will pick up £100,000 and pass the rest of the bill to the Department for Media, Culture and Sport. Some of the costs will be offset by revenues from commercial sponsorship.

The Royal Household has been given an extra £1m to cover the cost of administration and increased correspondence in the jubilee year. That comes from taxpayers via the Sovereign Grant – and it’s more than double the contribution made for the Golden Jubilee in 2002 (£450,000).

On top of those costs, the Metropolitan police will put over 6,000 officers on duty on the busiest days. 21 police boats will patrol the river. All these costs will be met from the public purse.

The Ministry of Defence is also making a big contribution.

The MoD and Met police would not supply cost estimates for their participation, but it is likely to run to millions of pounds.

But the biggest cost of all will come from the time off that the public take to watch it all. The Bank of England warned that the impact of people not working on the bank holidays will knock 0.5 per cent off GDP for the second quarter of the year – wiping over £1bn off the national output and prolonging the country’s double-dip recession.

all so people can tug their forelocks and wave a little plastic flag whilst at the same time people are losing their jobs because there is no funding available for them.

i can’t keep out of the way of that.

althepal

The right to roam… Er, whoops!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The freedom to establish a political party to change things if you really care about it.

Or, you could just whine on a relatively insignificant cycling forum instead. Good, innit?

Oh, and a few more;
    Aston Martin
    Scotchish whisky
    Clotted cream tea and scones
    The village fete
    The British Legion, Help for Heros and more such brilliant charities
    The RNLI

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

althepal – Member

Quite happy to buy into this, rather than the Olympics..
    At least the Royal family actually have a connection to Scotland

Really? Saxe coburgh gotha – such a good scottish name

trailmonkey

The freedom to establish a political party to change things if you really care about it.

no need, there are already some political parties out there committed to change. i’ll just vote for them.

Good, innit?

not really, i’d say democracy is just a bare minimum requirement in a so called civilised society. nothing to brag about.

rossi46
    Free Member

And the fact that we in Britain always cheer on the underdogs. What other country would give the underdog a chance 😆

Gorehound
    Free Member

You forgot the roman wall ( we built it for them ;-))

Pigface
    Free Member

Wonder what Fred would be saying about today’s celebrations in Larndaarn village and on the Thames

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Like New York, they had to build it twice. 1 wall was just not enought to stop us giving them a tanking.

althepal

Hail to the duke??
    Right TJ, I know they’re not Scotchish (as CFH puts it elfin style) but at least the royals have a bit of a link to Scotland and prob quite like it here for 2 weeks of the year..
    But I’m not buying into all this Olympics shite- its either the London Olympics or its not..
    The London part seems to be the majority part of the games.. The rest is the fact that we’re all paying for it and there’s a few minor football matches bring played in Glasgow- anyone fancy Columbia v Korea DPR women’s football? Apparently not many other folk do.. But hey- it’s Olympic football eh?
    Anyways, gawd bless the Queen and all that, apples and pears etc..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

northern Irish are not British. the united kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland. Great britain is just the island that comprises Scotland England and Wales

Yes they are. Great Britain currently includes all the islands of the archipelago except: the Channel Islands, Manx, and Eire. The Northern Irish are part of the political union so they get a special mention in the name.

althepal

The freedom for the minority of voters in one geographical area of the country to decide who governs another part of the country furthest away despite almost no one voting for said party?

stocker
    Free Member

A tesco on every corner

cynic-al
    Free Member

Northern IReland is not part of Britain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Greatt britain is simply the single largest island of the united kingdom. It does not include northern ireland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm

rossi46
    Free Member

The Isle Of Man TT- where else in the world can that happen? Well, Macau….. 😉

yunki
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wiggins, Thomas, Pendleton, Peat, Hoy, Cavendish, etc.

🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Northern Ireland did not exist when Great Britain was formed we had yet to ignore the all Ireland vote for Independence, send the troops in , partition the country and keep the Ulster plantation lot as ours…I can t see how that put the Great in Britain

the isle of mann is a self governing crown dependency of the UK but it is not part of the UK

Can I say I most proud of our education system , especially relating to geography, history and what Great Britain means 😉

stanfree
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tJJO_pVvQ[/video]

😆

I’m not as patriotic as I used to be , but I’m still glad to be born and live In Scotland. My grandad came from Northwich In Cheshire and a greater man I have yet to meet , despite some of the social issues in the UK Its still not a bad country to live In .

By the way this thread just proves ‘Seosamh77’ must still be banned . :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘Proud To Be British Day’ is closed to new replies.