Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 235 total)
  • Proud To Be British Day
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

One HUGELY great thing about Great Britain in this day and age, is that I can be an Atheist Republican or any other damn thing I choose to be and no-one is going to chop my head off for it. In fact, I’m protected from having that happen. 8)

deluded
    Free Member

I’m a proud Englishman.

Republicans and other riff-raff should be shipped off to an overseas territory, somewhere like Montserrat maybe. 😀

Long live the Queen.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stuff I love about the UK

Attitudes – diversity and tolerance ( in the main)

Countryside – endless variety from the farmlands to the green rolling hills to the jagged mountains

History and tradition – from the morrismen to the beltane fire folk

And of course the people

bren2709

We are the minority in our own country now!
    How Great is that?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks for (eventually!) joining in, TJ! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Who is we? and how are you a minority now?

Gorehound
    Free Member

Sod this I’m going out to play in the mud.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

bren2709 – Member

We are the minority in our own country now!
    How Great is that?

I think we know where that’s going…

kayak23

I’m not a bandwagonist flag waver, but it its nice to see everyone come together over something which isn’t poxy football… 🙂
    Gawd bless the queen and all those who sail in her.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it its nice to see everyone come together over something

^^This^^

Lots of people smiling in the rain today!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think we’re “coming together” about the country in this thread, not Royalty, specifically.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh and beer. real beer served in real pubs. From

to this

to this

Aristotle
    Free Member

I think I’m quite fortunate to have been born into an ordinary family in the UK in the late 20th century, although being born in most other (northern, non-communist-bloc) European countries would have been fine too.

Mr Woppit – Member

One HUGELY great thing about Great Britain in this day and age, is that I can be an Atheist Republican or any other damn thing I choose to be and no-one is going to chop my head off for it. In fact, I’m protected from having that happen.

Indeed,

….but the masses are ignorant Daily Mail/Express/Sun reading pseudo-christian (eg. very-non-practising CofE) royalists and no politician would dare to suggest changing that.

Let’s be grateful for our pleasant, comfortable, accommodating country, but let us not confuse that with an anachronistic, pseudo-divinely-apppointed, feudal, hereditary, life-long monarch sailing down the Thames.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I used to cycle past the Bay Malton on my commute.

druidh
    Free Member

As someone on the tellybox said yesterday – why couldn’t we have such a large celebration of British-ness when it was VE Day? That would at least have been celebrating the contribution of the ordinary man and woman in the street, of all races and religions, and not the dubious contribution of a wealthy, unelected, white christian elite.

Euro
    Free Member

rossi46 – Member

The Isle Of Man TT- where else in the world can that happen? Well, Macau…..

Ireland, every other weekend.

Proud to not be British. 😆

mrdestructo

I see a republican joke going round at the moment:

“Typical. It’s Jubilee weekend and it won’t stop bloody reigning”

Shame really, I’m going to a Jubilee BBQ with a street party outside and it looks like we’re going to have to set the gas cooker inside to ‘burnt’.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jubilee? stuff the jubilee 🙂 of no interest to me whatsoever and judging by what I see around here of little interest at all here.

I have no great hatred for the royal family – merely considering them an irrelevance to modern britain

bren2709

TJ – so you will be working the bank holiday you get for the jubilee?

Junkyard
    Free Member

So you cannot be lazy and also dislike/be indifferent to the royals?
    I dont believe in god but I dont work easter either mainly because the place i work is shut and I have no choice just like Tuesday

Odd point

El-bent
    Free Member

merely considering them an irrelevance to modern Britain

+1. They do represent the pinnacle of what I don’t like about this country.

We have stagnated, we need to evolve beyond monarchy. They sit atop of a very crooked tree.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bren2709 – Member

I work in a 24/7 profession so it makes zero difference to me

mrdestructo

bren2709 – Member

ROFL! Is the standard then that you don’t have to work it? I have had to work every single fcking bank holiday there is in my job as a contractor at a location open to the public on bank holidays, where the permanent staff are on a rota, but I receive no cover, and I only get paid time. When time = minimum wage, you’ll perhaps sympathise.

When attacks on bank holiday working are the tool of a bully, am I the bullying victim also Bren?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Duke of Edinburgh (AKA Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg) does me proud

The quintessential English gentleman.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Another thing I am proud of that the UK does is the contribution to popular music – for many decades in many forms of music teh UK has been a key player and remains so to this day.

Creative arts in general but in popular music we really are major worl power

rossi46
    Free Member

I think we’re “coming together” about the country in this thread, not Royalty, specifically.

This!

Ireland, every other weekend.

Well yes, I love Ireland too 😀

zimbo
    Free Member

The Duke of Edinburgh (AKA Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg) does me proud

Still don’t get the texting dog, Ernie, but that made me laugh like a drain!

MSP

flippinheckler
    Free Member

To add to CFH’s list

Real Ale Pubs
    Steak & Kidney Pudding
    Pims
    Great British Breakfast
    Pork Pies

rossi46
    Free Member

Fish and Chips, fine stout/ale/beer/cider…..

Amusing place names……

Pretty castles in pretty landscapes….

Mint Sauce…..

cinnamon_girl

I’m not proud to be British.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Being able to spell barbecue correctly, and knowing what is, and perhaps more importantly what is not, an acronym.

Pimms No.1
    Gin & Tonic
    Lawn bowls
    Croquet
    A room temperate real beer instead of a blast frozen piss water lager
    Ploughmans lunch
    Afternoon tea
    Motorsports
    Roundabouts
    Discussing the variable and unpredictable weather
    Loving the French and despising the Americans (or vice versa for the lower echelons)
    Lawns, and mowing of

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member

Being able to spell barbecue correctly

Barbeque?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sitting in a Scittish cafe bedecked inUnion Flags.

EDIT: the cafe not me!

zimbo
    Free Member

I’m not proud to be British

I sort of agree. You should be proud of what you do and how you behave, not what you happen to be and have no control over…

There’s loads I love about the old place though.

Kryton57

Being characteristically under excited about the jubilee, rather than whopping and hollering. Cause I is English innit.

Really though? Tea. Uncompromisingly a habitual stalwart englishism that has a wide variety of reputable capabilities whilst it’s use is globally known as an “english thing” (although it’s not).

All hail Tea.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Being able to spell barbecue correctly, and knowing what is, and perhaps more importantly what is not, an acronym.

Doesn’t it make you ashamed rather than proud ?

After all I’m deeply embarrassed that the education offered to the masses is so poor, that many cannot correctly spell this vital foreign import into British culture.

rossi46
    Free Member

“British Institutions” that are in fact not.

Tea
    Curry
    English Naval Rum

Love it 😆

(i hate tea, im a coffee kinda bloke)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

After all I’m deeply embarrassed that the education offered to the masses is so poor, that many cannot correctly spell this vital foreign import into British culture.

Good point.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 235 total)

The topic ‘Proud To Be British Day’ is closed to new replies.