Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Proud to be a cyclist…
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

British Olympic team
    Danny MacAskill hitting the mainstream
    Last but not least…World Champion Peaty.

It brings a smile to my face to feel part of all this 😀

Feel free to add more success stories…

Gary_M
    Free Member

It brings a smile to my face to feel part of all this

Why, are you on one of the teams?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

nope, but I feel part of a scene that is just blossoming so beautifully (oh, and I can't spell cyclist either)

uplink
    Free Member

I don't find any pride in cycling

It's a fun pastime – but that's about it for me
    I don't see myself as belonging to anything 'cycling' in particular

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fair enough, but I'll still get idiots trying to knock me off my bike on the ride home tonight.

Me neither uplink, but then again I've been a cyclist for a long time and I don't have a need to belong to a scene.

coogan
    Free Member

wot uplink sed

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I'll still get idiots trying to knock me off my bike on the ride home tonight.

they're just happy to see you

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It brings a smile to my face to feel part of all this

riding my bike in good company in great places makes me smile. The achievements of unknown strangers are nothing to do with me.

hora
    Free Member

Im not a cyclist, football fan, Labour supporter or 'fan of'.

Sorry, I dont get the 'how can one of our own do that'. Generalisation and grouping everyone under a hobby-banner. No thanks.

Smee
    Free Member

Some of you lot need to lay off the caffeine. Maybe get rid of the Gaggia Classic coffee machines too – it may lengthen your lives a bit….

I agree with stilltortoise, I think it's great to see people from the UK doing well in a sport that I love.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don't have a need to belong to a scene.

It's not about need. I enjoy riding my bike and can remember the first day my big brother let go of me (without stabilisers) and I rode all by myself. 30 or so years later I enjoy it more than ever. The feeling that I'm part of a big scene these days is the icing on a very tasty cake

Gary_M
    Free Member

I didn't say it wasn't great and neither did anyone else, I just don't feel a welling pride in my heart because some guy who can hop around on a bike (with amazing ability) is in a tv ad. It's great but it doesn't make me proud because I ride a bike.

Do car drivers feel proud if a UK based driver wins an F1 race? I don't.

dickydutch

Why can't you feel pride in somebody elses achievements?!

mudhound
    Free Member

Yes, plus smiles and tears yesterday
    if you don't take pride in what you do you should maybe try other stuff aswell

like teams sports, always pretty good at them, plus football supporter and support loads of other teams when I get a chance

(sorry don't want to set off the pastime its not sport thing – its fine for other people to have different opinions)

Surfr
    Free Member

It's really sad that some people are unable to gain enjoyment from this. I for one am with the OP 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

if you don't take pride in what you do you should maybe try other stuff aswell

I do take pride in what I do and what I achieve on a bike.

I think people are not really reading what they perceive to be negative posts correctly. I don't think anyone is saying whats happeing isn't good and I for one am over the moon at Bradley Wiggins recent tour performance but it doesn't make me feel proud to be part of a 'movement'.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Why can't you feel pride in somebody elses achievements?!
    Because unless you in some way helped it, what have *you* to be proud of?

robdob
    Free Member

DD, there does seem to be some miserable so and so's commenting here. Probably moaning when people get killed from being knocked off their bikes and the driver gets away with it, but finds it smugly clever that they aren't proud of the good stories.

Well done to all of them I say. Makes me smile indeed!!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks Goan. I'll admit I was expecting a few more "me too" type responses.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It makes me pleased too. I think it's great that Pete won, and I was grinning like a loon when I watched it. I just think some people need to a reality check as to what the word pride means 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

+1 – some joyless people on this thread. Not quite the same but i was dead chuffed Jessica Ennis won the IAAF heptathlon, mainly because she is from my hometown of Sheffield and i have trained at the same stadium she has. A very tenuous connection but it made me happy.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Whahey, Robdob too, and surfr. I was wondering if it was just me

Gary_M
    Free Member

robdob perhaps you should reread the original post. 'Proud to be a cyclist' isn't anywhere near the same as saying 'are you proud of what people have acheived on a bike'. I've not contributed to, for example, olympic success, so why should I have a personal pride in that success? Being proud of what others have achieved isn't the same as taking a personal pride in what others have achieved.

Smee
    Free Member

You can be proud of where the sport is going in this country without being proud of individuals achievements you know….

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Peaty, eh, isn't it? Proud to be Yorkshire, proud to 'know' what he's achieved……………..maybe wouldn't know who the **** he was or what, exactly, he'd done if I wasn't a 'mountainbiker'.Shed a few tears yesterday, I don't mind saying, even if some of them were at Warner totally losing it! 🙂

mtbfix

Humbug to all of it. Too many people riding bikes since we got good at it at meaningless sporting events. It used to be better when all MTB races happened in a field somewhere out of the way. That way those of us riding had the woods to ourselves. Nowadays you get to the car park or trail head and there are loads of folk there enjoying themselves and not taking it at all seriously. Tut!

Gary_M
    Free Member

mtbfix I realise you're trying to be witty and ironic but what exactly is your point in relation to what anyone else has said?

uplink
    Free Member

I'm very happy for all those people that win things & generally do well – but I'm not proud of them or the sport they participated in

Now, I am proud of my daughter's A level results as I had a influence & a stake in them

stilltortoise
    Free Member

you know, I really thought this post would be a nice catalyst for an "isn't it great to be a cyclist" thread to brighten up our Monday afternoon. Sadly I was mistaken, perhaps on more than one level 😕

robdob
    Free Member

GaryM, maybe you should stop being a smartarse. 😉

robdob
    Free Member

It IS great being a cyclist!

There you are, I said it. 😀

Bikes are great!

mtbfix

robdob, well said that man.

GaryM, I was just moaning about all you newbies coming into the sport cluttering up the place and winning competitions thereby making my sport more popular leading to loads of newbies cluttering up the place and winning competitions thereby making……

aracer
    Free Member

I think it's great that Pete won,

Pete who?

GaryM, maybe you should stop being a smartarse

and lose his whole forum persona?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wondered how long it would take for the name calling to start. What many people on this forum fail to realise is that it's okay to have different opinions to other people.

Just because I don't feel pride to be part of a movement it doesn't make me miserable/grumpy/joyless/a smartarse.

My opinion isn't right just as someone else's isn't wrong, however at least I can express my opinion without resorting to playground name calling. Play nice kids.

So I don't feel a certain smugness for being part of a 'movemnet'. You may not like, you may not agree with it, but it is my opinion

There really are so many of you on this thread failing to grasp the concept of 'pride'.

aracer oh the irony.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just think of it this way, every time you go a little quicker it has a trickle effect on the guys at the top (it forces your mate a bit faster, who's mate goes a bit faster, who races at the NPS, which pushes the average speed up, which pushes Peaty, Gee, etc etc).

Ohh and if you cant get some pride from a national team doing well in the world championships in a sport you love, then there is something sadly wrong with you. Are you so PC you don't want to be seen to be british?

robdob
    Free Member

Aaaaaahhhhh. Now we get the "my opinion is just as valid" argument.

Yawn.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Out of interest thisisnotaspoon, how would you define what 'pride' means?

crazy-legs

Shame that this thread has degenerated somewhat. 🙁

Depends on your point of view. Amazing though it may seem, some people have no clue about racing, Olympic success, the different niches of cycling (never mind the sub niches within MTBing), they simply ride a bike to work. Other people spend their time avidly watching every road race on the TV and know all the teams and results.
    There's no right and wrong approach.

Having said that though, cycling in general in this country is on a huge success story that wouldn't even have been dreamed of 10 years ago. From World Champion DH to Bradley Wiggins and Emma Pooley winning the National TT Champs last weekend. From the huge increase in commuter cyclists (particularly in London) to domination of the Olympics on the track.

It's all bikes and bikes are good. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

What's your point robdob? Clearly I've offended you in some way. If you have a valid argument against my opinion, which you have failed to grasp, then I'd love to hear it.

Maybe I have a different view point because I actually ride bikes a lot rather than sit at home dreaming/typing/talking about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Proud to be a cyclist…’ is closed to new replies.