Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • protective vests and back protector for trail riding
  • jamesg55
    Free Member

So I’ve been doing a bit of goggling but lots of the reviews are quite outdated and new versions of the products have been released. so not having the best joy researching it.

I’ve started riding faster and on more tech stuff. plus also carrying on with a few more enduros this year, so wanted to look at some options for further protection
    I’m looking for :
    – lightweight top to offer some back protection
    – chest protection optional
    – shoulders protection not needed
    – vest or t shirt, not a long sleeve top
    – not a backpack with back protection. (I’m enduro, bumbag for the win)

also how do people wear them. over a base layer or under/as a baselayer?

and do you stick them In the washing machine?

ads678

I bought one of these https://www.bike24.com/p246125.html last summer before going to the alps and just wore it under a normal riding top. I suppose if I was wearing in the winter, which I haven’t done yet, I’d probably put a long sleeved base layer under then a riding top over.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just my tuppence. I have a 661 pressure suit.

Yes it protects your from knocks and bumps, and would probably do a lot of good in the event of landing back first on a rock.

But it offers no protection against broken bones in general, your arms, neck, pelvis, legs, ankles, wrists are all still sticking out of this nicely protected core.

So the downsides are it’s heavy, and hot, and chafes my nipples, and does very limited work to keep you out of hospital. And on top of that you feel a combination of invincible and distracted by it so you crash more, increasing the likelihood of breaking anything sticking out of it.

Speaking to other DH’ers (as opposed to trail riders dabbling with an uplift) they’re not popular for exactly this reason, most ‘serious’ DH’ers just seem to wear knee pads.

I’d consider one of the backpacks with built in spine protection. And I like the ‘soft’ armour (3DO, EVA etc), but I’d not bother with the hard armour again.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One other thing, there’s two standards for back protection EN-1621-2 levels 1 and 2. 2 being more stringent (less transmitted force).

I don’t know if it’s borne out in reality, but I always thought the test for back protectors wasn’t particularly realistic, it doesn’t test how well the protector works against hyper extension (the hypothetical landing from a height onto your back on a big rock and your shoulders/hips keep moving down). The hard armour would save you, the soft stuff I’m not sure would be of much use.

Equally they do nothing for impacts on your neck/hips, if you hit your head/hips as you go down then you still end up with a broken back.

Marin
    Free Member

I’ve got the long sleeve version of this
    http://www.troyleedesigns.com/7850-ultra-protective-shirt
    For downhilling which has proved very useful so far. Certainly light enough to pedal in. Saves you from minor injury. If Enduro though I’d say stick to knee guards and maybe padded short inners.
    Evoc make good bags with built in back protectors. If you’re aiming to win it you just have to accept the risk of injury I’d say without trying to sound blasé about it.

Trimix
    Free Member

I agree with Thisisnotaspoon, Ive tried riding in the Alps/UK with body armour, pressure suits, neck braces, armoured tops, shorts etc.

In the end I found them uncomfortable, restrictive and basically wouldnt stop me breaking any bones.

Ive got a load of stuff, some of which is from my days riding off road motorcycles and racing motorcycle enduros – where the higher speeds and chance of hitting other riders is massive.

On a mountain bike you really are not going to need them.

wayniac
    Free Member

Can highly recommend Raceface Flank core

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/flank-core-guards

Have had one of these for about 4 years now, fits super snug and low profile. Once the D3O inserts warm up it moulds to your body and is very comfy. The shoulder pads and spine pad are removable you you can choose where to protect. Just pop the pads out and throw it in the washer when it gets smelly. Been used regularly and showing no signs of wear.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘protective vests and back protector for trail riding’ is closed to new replies.