Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pro’s and Con’s Wire bead v Folding bead
  • joiner
    Free Member

Just after views on the topic header……..

Thanks

Glynn

BigDummy
    Free Member

Wire bead have less price, more weight and a lack of foldage.

Folding bead are foldable, come with less weight and more price.

I usually find price to be decisive. The cost of tyres hurts my soul.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

wire are shit, folders aren’t

coffeeking
    Free Member

I often find the foldables are easier to get on and off the rim. Some people claim the opposite. I’m not one of them.

MS
    Free Member

agree with cofeeking

nickc

teeny bit of weight loss, other than that no discernible difference. apart from the questionable advantage of being able to fold them up. Never really understood why that might be desirable

D0NK

BD has a point on the cost of tyres but I shop around for good deals and usually always go for folding. Lack of weight is the main thing and easier to fit (if you do the turn tyre inside out for a while to get rid of the creases) but also the wired version tend to be a cheaper compound aswell.
    Actually re: cost, considering that tiny patch of tyres is all that keeps you the right way up it’s probably worth getting the best you can afford.

EDIT nicks, I’m not a rubberholic but I do have 5or6 tyres not currently in use, being foldeable does make them easier to store in kitchen cupboards 🙂 not a prob if you have huge shed/garage i guess.

jim
    Free Member

apart from the questionable advantage of being able to fold them up. Never really understood why that might be desirable

Less annoying to store?

rickk

Low mass at the tyre rim = lower energy required to get the wheels spun up to speed hence you get a secondary advantage above and beyond the initial weight saving.

nickc

Not convincing really, folding tyres seem like the biggest triumph of the marketing machine…”look, they fold up, so when they’re not on the bike, where you’ll not notice at all, you can impress your friends by…er…rolling them up…”

Woo Hoo

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not convincing really, folding tyres seem like the biggest triumph of the marketing machine…”look, they fold up, so when they’re not on the bike, where you’ll not notice at all, you can impress your friends by…er…rolling them up…”

Woo Hoo

The rotating weight difference is pretty noticable. And when you have 8 tyres in the cupboard, the ability to fold them into a box is wonderful!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone’s being suckered into thinking that having foldable tires is worth their extra dosh- they just read ‘folding’ as ‘lighter’, although why the manufacturers don’t just say that to begin with is a bit of a mystery.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

as soemone said above, folding ones tend to be higher up the range and have better casings and compounds.

For example –

specialized tires (i forget the names)

cheep= steel, 60tpi, hard rubber
    middling = kevlar, 60tpi, hard
    pro = kevlar, 120tpi dual compound.
    s-works?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

One positive for Wire, . . is that you can throw them up and over over the top of lampposts!

Try doing it with a folder, . . er no way baby!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pro’s and Con’s Wire bead v Folding bead’ is closed to new replies.