Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Prophet. Reborn
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Old Cannondale Ebay bargain winter project.

Paint stripped to bare aluminium, etch primed then roller painted (coat of paint/flatten/coat of paint/flatten etc) Kawasaki green.

New bearings. DHX air shock DIY rebuild with IFP mods to make bleeding easier, glassbead blasted the adjuster knobs to bare aluminium.

Converted my existing rear Shimano hub to homemade T45 axle with titanium nuts to help stiffen the back end a little.

Cheapo CRC crankbrothers seatpost with bead blasted components.

All other parts from my Evil Sovereign- Marzocchi 55CR’s, 50mm Thomson stem, uncut Renthals, SLX cranks with Middleburn 32t NW, Zee+Saint shifting, SLX/Goodridge 200/180mm brakes, Hope F/Shimano R (with solid axle and grease nipple lube mod), 2.3 Minion F, Highroller R.

Sorry for crappy phone pics!

z1ppy

I can’t decide if I like the colour or not (like you care), always thought I’d like to have had mine done in the matt green like my gemini.
    Good fun bikes though, enjoy!

matt_outandabout

Ace bikes.

RustyNissanPrairie

I can’t decide if I like the colour or not (like you care), always thought I’d like to have had mine done in the matt green like my gemini.
    Good fun bikes though, enjoy!

It matches my cheap STW/PSA Halfords Bell helmet!

Plus its Enduro to the max!

z1ppy

:mrgreen:

kudos100
    Free Member

Looks great fun.

I always wanted a prophet. Ended up with a rush instead.

Did you find the saddle in an old bike box from the 80’s?

beamends
    Free Member

epic bikes, ive got a small frame in the shed that i carnt bring myself to sell rode everything on it from all day xc to antur stinog.

my advice would be to keep an eye out for a xfusion hilo dropper. i keep thinking of building mine back up with some 650b wheels and see if it feels more alive lol

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium one in the loft, I date it build it up or it’ll never leave!

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Very nice. I’m always tempted by a second hand Prophet when I see them in classifieds. Looks like a fun bike. Enjoy.

pk13

I miss mine. It was a miss match of bits and looked rubbish but cracking value.

granny_ring

Looks nice.
    Didn’t fancy trying it as a 27.5er?
    Going to do mine soon(ish)

scottfitz
    Free Member

I have just retired mine, great bike. Keeping frame will rebuild one day.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/jkFFgK]IMAG0402[/url] by scottgolfgti, on Flickr

RustyNissanPrairie

Quick update to say – wow this frame is good! long, low, and slack, never had so many pedal strikes but corners really well. Fox DHX shock is a good fitment as it helps control the bottom out these frames are renowned for.

Added a rock guard as I ride Cragg/Lee quarrys a lot. Used the down tube water mounts to bolt on a modified (drilled a few holes) Zefal down tube guard (£8). Has saved the downtube a few times already from rocks being flicked up.

Off to ‘Degla with it tomorrow.

Fancy Ti nuts and T45 axle help stiffen the back end

image upload

Grease nipple modded hub (as posted previously)

photo hosting

Rockguard. Also to note is the paint job which was done with the roller/flattening technique.

image hosting gif

adult picture hosting

post image

ton

i like that. best bike the ever made.

RustyNissanPrairie

yeah Cannondale really did get it right when they designed it (10years ago IIRC) – they only thing they didn’t foresee was different wheelsizes (although you can fit 27.5 in the XC shock position) and dropper posts.

Simon

Great bike, well ahead of it’s time.
    I’ve just rebuilt my Prophet to use whilst my hardtail is at the powdercoaters.

granny_ring

Good work OP, like the guard idea too.

renton
    Free Member

I like Kawasaki green…

Bike looks ace though mate. One bike I always wanted but never got round to having.

Stainypants

OP That looks ace, I built one up as a stop gap whilst I test rode all the modern full suspension bikes but I love it so much I’m just going to keep it until it dies. I’ve got a x-fusion hi-lo on mine which makes a big difference. The problem with mine is the powder coat is 3 inches thick. Might strip it and do it the same colour as yours.

The pedal strikes take a bit of getting used to and its a nightmare when riding really narrow singletrack that cut into the ground as the bb is so low.

Can you explain what you did with rear hub?

Nick

Christian
    Free Member

Had a medium chocolate colour one for a few years, bought in the sale from royles cycles for about £800 which was less than half price if i remember correctly. Absolute bargain at the time. Just thought about it when i read this post and realised that it was by far the quickest bike ive ever owned around marin, penmachno and coed y brenin, it aint just nostalga, at the time i thought i was going way too quick and gonna do myself some damage. Brilliant bikes!

Northwind

Really good that! How long did it take to cut the paint back?

RustyNissanPrairie

Can you explain what you did with rear hub?

Nick

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/grease-nipple-mod-for-shimano-cup-and-cone-hubs-never-rebuild-again

For the axle I machined a solid axle myself (although you can buy them off the shelf) and replaced the standard Shimano QR/hollow axle. The solid ones are slightly stiffer (in theory). Running it with titanium nuts. I chopped a 14mm spanner in half and that lives in my rucksack for trail side wheel removal.

It also makes bearing adjustment easier as you don’t have the QR/hollow axle compression to compensate for with a nutted axle- when you tighten the nuts it only ‘stretches’ the length of axle between the hub outer locknut and the axle nut that your tightening. It doesn’t affect the axle between the cones. If you know what I mean?

RustyNissanPrairie

Northwind – Member
    Really good that! How long did it take to cut the paint back?

Took a week to paint it but that was doing an hour max per day. Spraying is easier and quicker! Roller or use a piece of fine cell foam to dapple the paint on, let dry, 1500 grit to flatten, repeat until bored/enough coats then final 1500 then T-Cut.

Northwind

Cheers for that! Sounds like a pain in the arse but the result is bloody nice.

RustyNissanPrairie

Now for sale!

Bars and stem have been changed for new Cannondale items (ex Jekyll) and DX -Spd pedals fitted.

Spec is;
    20″ frame – loads of standover clearance and the XL gives a nice modern front centre length.
    Marzocchi 55 CR’s
    DHX 5 with new at time of build Kashima air can, air seals, HD bushes and mounting hardware.
    SLX cranks with 32t Blackspire NW ring.
    DX Spd pedals
    Thomson seat clamp
    SDG seat
    Crank Brother post
    SLX brakes with 203&180 floating Shimano rotors, fitted with braided hoses.
    New Cannondale bars & Stem ex Jekyll
    Saint shifter with Zee rear mech, 10 speed, XT cassette
    Hope front hub on Mavic (cant remember the rim model)
    Shimano XT rear with grease nipple mod and solid botl on axle.

Still in as built condition.

£650 ono ???????

May split if no joy on here or ebay

parkesie
    Free Member

If i hadnt of been sucked into the pauls sale id of had this off you great bikes and thats a bargain.

granny_ring

Wasn’t there someone on here the other day looking for an xl prophet frame?

EDIT was it him ^ ? 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Prophet. Reborn’ is closed to new replies.