Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Carbon (life) cycles- life and times of a Lightbicycle rim
  • Northwind

So, I broke my original LB carbon rim. This was one of the first- the original “old process” 330g 26er rim, I bought it to replace a broken aluminium Traversee rim as the specialized replacement was expensive, and put it in my Ragley hardtail. 2 years on, this happened:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wDvQAj]IMG_3973[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wEHiMp]IMG_3970[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Riding at Bikeparkwales on the ragley, decided to chase 2 big bikes down a trail I’d not done, and did a clumsy landing off a little drop, onto a square edged rock. Wasn’t a massive blow, but the sort that could put a big dent in an alu rim (especially considering I had an XC singleply on it). Rode down the red on the flat, put a tube in it, rode on for the rest of the day and then a bunch more riding at Afan and CYB to finish off.

So, life to death… I’m really pretty happy tbh! Back wheel of a hardtail that’s been used for enduro racing, a bunch of uplifts, and an awful lot of easier miles, and also done service in a big full suss for more racing including the EWS, and it still took rider error to finish it off.

For a 330g rim, that’s pretty damn impressive. This is the “old process” construction, LB have gone through a couple of evolutions since so the modern rims are apparently a lot stronger- they have noticably thicker rim walls for one thing which bears that out. It’s had a lot more hard use than the original, long-dead roval rim.

And even when it broke, it stood up to a few days more riding (including more bpw blacks etc) It does creak alarmingly if you push the sidewall in but it didn’t deform or show any sign of growing cracks.

Obviously, wish it hadn’t! But even though it’s well out of warranty, and crash damage, LB are doing me a healthy discount on a new set of 29er rims. And absolutely nothing that put me off buying them.

Good stuff.

jamj1974

Sounds like some good durability and some great customer service then! I’m considering some as and when my Flow EX’s have had enough (Been great so far though tbh).

Does anybody have a recommendation on a good 26″ LB rim which would make a good replacement for a Flow?

These? Here

If so which option 3k, 12k, UD?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

That is just plain good in all fairness for such a light rim.
    Am impressed!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If so which option 3k, 12k, UD?

got to be UD, the other cosmetic weaves just look naff, especially nowadays when people have realised it’s purely there for looks. A bit too “LOOK AT ME I’M CARBON FIBRE!”.

Got some superlight LBs on my road bike (<1300g for the pair) and have got over the nervous babying of them after clouting a new pothole that wasnt there last time at the bottom of one of my regular 40mph+ descents.

And even when it broke, it stood up to a few days more riding

S’funny, I thought the big “thing” for the carbon critics was the catastrophic failure it suffers compared to alloy 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Impressive indeed.

Wheres the guy from the other thread whose rim lasted 5 rides and it was the rims fault?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just got some 29ers myself, lovely in all the ways carbonz can be! Bike felt great with them on and I could feel the difference in the turns, shame my legs weren’t up to producing a few moar PR’s though…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Wheres the guy from the other thread whose rim lasted 5 rides and it was the rims fault?

haha i was about to say someone going to wade in soon and say my rim lasted 5 rides 😆

thered

Impressive, I might get some and stick ENVE stickers on em

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yeah but wouldn’t Enve rims crack sooner so no point in that idea 😉

Tracey

My LBs on Hope hubs built by 18 Bikes are still going strong after two weeks bashing down the trails with Bike Verbier. Abigales Superstar AMs needed the spokes retightening on the rear on Thursday night. Both sets have had some big hits. Drove over to ride at Pila today on our way down to Finale but its peed it down all day so not ventured up the mountain. We were a bit undecided about the durability of carbon rims but are so far impressed.

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

Well. To be fair, I can’t say with certainty that the exact same thing couldn’t have happened on its 5th ride if I’d done the same ugly drop onto rock thing. Maybe it’d suffered previous impacts or fatigue over time, maybe not, I can’t say. But then, it wasn’t the first time they’ve taken a hit that hard. Luck probably plays a part too!

@jamj- I have a set of the 33mm “enduro” rims, these:

http://www.light-bicycle.com/New-26er-33mm-wide-enduro-MTB-all-mountain-downhill-carbon-rim-tubeless-compatible.html#.Vb0F6vnQJCw

I’ve not tested them to destruction over the last year so can’t comment that much on longevity, they’ve had decent use/abuse but not enough to really challenge them so I can’t give them the same praise. They’re certainly up for the job you describe though. <disgraceful spam> I’m actually thinking of selling that set, if you were interested? Though there’s something wrong with one of the DT hubs that I need to chase down first…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

My mate destroyed a six month old lb rim in the Alps. He admitted it was his fault, he manualled into a wooden edged water bar at 35mph+.
    He sent some pics to lb, they sent him a new rim, and a carbon bottle cage, to say sorry.
    Can’t say fairer than that.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You must be mates with GW? Sure this pic popped on my FB feed the other day…

Mugboo

Top marks, almost as good as Hope for service 😉

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Did similar on my 650b 35mm one 3 months ago, I am still riding it now :)Had another set on order for my other bike and they did me a warranty price and all i had to pay was extra postage (£15)

Have a set on my Nicolai on Hope Hubs that are 1600g and a set of 30mm on my Santa Cruz with DT 240 hubs that are 1400g.

Amazing value and a very tough rim.

Northwind

@Monkeyfudger- aye, he popped up on my FB to take the piss 😆 TJ too. It’s a STW refugee camp over there

bigjim

this appeared on my facebook too. 6 degrees and all that!

jamj1974

I could be interested in your wheels NW…

Northwind

OK, cool- well, like I say there’s something up with the rear hub which I’ve not looked into yet, a wee bit of play so probably a dud bearing- I’ll check it out when I get a chance and let you know once that’s solved.

jamj1974

What DT hubs are they? Need a 135 rear but 135-142 covertible would be preferable…

Northwind

They’re DT240s- not sure which adaptors I have but they’re definitely 142 compatible.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Carbon (life) cycles- life and times of a Lightbicycle rim’ is closed to new replies.