Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Proper road bike drop bars with plenty of sweep and minimal drop, do they exist?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve ridden my touring/do-it-all Pompetamine a lot recently and have grown to love the On-One Midge bar that I fitted last year, particularly when riding on the drops.

Last night I went for my first ride in ages on my full on road bike, and although I loved the hood position, but found the drops just plain awful! – Uncomfortable, cramped, twitchy.

What i’d really like is a weight weenie’esque proper road drop bar, with a similar drop to the Midge, and a nice outward sweep, but a more traditional hood position as compared to the ‘inwardness’ of the Midge.

Closest ive ever seen is a Salsa Moto-Ace or Woodchipper (CX bars), but these are slightly heavier and have more drop than ideal.

Anyone know of anything out there that may fit the bill?
    Closest ive ever seen is a Salsa Moto-Ace or Woodchipper (CX bars), but these are slightly heavier and have more drop than ideal.

Anyone know of anything out there that may fit the bill?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

3T do a few sets of drop bars that have the drops flared out by a few degrees. Probably a dear do though.

unovolo
    Free Member

The only thing that springs to mind are ‘Nitto Randonneur’

Not as extreme as Midge bars kind of a half way house between them and a normal drop.

Or a set of ‘Grand Cru Chris’s Rando Handlebar’ from Velo orange,which are similar to the above.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll check them out

kelvin

Any other options?

doof_doof
    Free Member

How much weight do you want to save? My Midge weighed 275g, so carbon will be the only way to shave off anything more than a few grams.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Well, I was more just wondering if a dedicated ‘road’ version existed of a similar design. Being that the midge is supposedly for off roading in the main.
    I’d really like the Midge drop and flare, but with a more traditional hood position. Something like a cross between a Midge and a Moto-Ace/cow bell 2

I’m guessing there’s no such thing other than CX varients

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Proper road bike drop bars with plenty of sweep and minimal drop, do they exist?’ is closed to new replies.