Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Problems fiting a brass olive onto a braided hose
  • juiced
    Free Member

Hello, cut the hose a couple of times. Cannot get olive on the braided hose. Tried smoothing the end but it always comes away slightly frayed.

Any tips?

Other end went on fine.

psychle
    Free Member

electrical tape when cutting? someone suggested this to me, haven't tried it myself yet… would stop it fraying I guess?

juiced
    Free Member

ok. noit sure it would a large amount of difference as the cable is housed in plastic whilst cutting.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Cut it clean & fast!
    If all else fails-wrap the hose in masking tape & cut it with a slitting disc in an angle grinder.

singlespeedstu

Open the olive up a bit with a flat blade screwdriver.

A little tip for next time you shorten a braided hose.
    Mark where you want to cut the hose.
    Cut off the plastic coating up to this point.
    Open the olive up slightly and slide it up the hose.
    Then cut the hose and re insert the barb.

Saves all the grief of fraying braids.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers everyone.got it on now. cut super quickly and opened olive a little. cheers.

juiced
    Free Member

new problem now. How do close the olive up. Fitting is stuggling to fit over olive? Just use pliers?

RESOLVED,

cheers.

singlespeedstu

Just use pliers?

Yep.Very carefully though. You wouldn't want to crack the olive in half now would you…

sc-xc

Yep.Very carefully though. You wouldn't want to crack the olive in half now would you…

yoeah right. Like anyone would ever do that. 😐

singlespeedstu

No you'd never do that would you now Barry…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

last time I fitted a set of Goodridge braided lines the instructions said to remove 1" of the plastic coating at the end of each hose before fitting the olive. Just scored round with a stanley knife and pulled it off with pliers. Olive went straight on

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, with Goodridge and Hope you have to remove the plastic coating where the olive sits but with Fibrax braided hose the olives are slightly larger and sit over the complete outer as with the older Hope black hose.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Problems fiting a brass olive onto a braided hose’ is closed to new replies.