Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Rage Against The Machine
  • the-muffin-man

I thought this would go nowhere, but the Facebook campaign seems to be having some effect!…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm

MrWoppit
    Free Member

and… what was it?

the-muffin-man

Should work now!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soma_rich
    Free Member

sorry great minds TMM..

I think the live version is better than the album mix so bought both just to be on the safe side…

YOU NEED TO BUY IT if you haev any faith in idependent music!

satsoma
    Free Member

I bought mine on Monday.

F*** you Simon Cowell, I won't do what you tell me!!!

pinches
    Free Member

bought it yesterday on itunes. up yours cowell indeed.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Already bought mine from play, just got an email from Amazon saying they've credited me £3 for mp3 downloads… might buy 10 copies of it from them!

Anyone else notice the irony of being told to buy "killing in the name"?

pjt201
    Free Member

i bought it from amazon yesterday for 29p. then found out downloads only count towards the chart if they cost more than 40p… Also if you buy multiple copies (from the same source) they don't count that either.

ourmaninthenorth

F*** you Simon Cowell, I won't do what you tell me!!!

But you will do what Facebook, Sony BMG and the internet tells you to?

Yeah, you stick it to the man, brother.

🙄

GaryLake
    Free Member

Anyone else notice the irony of being told to buy "killing in the name"?

Not really, the song isn't instructing you to kill, it's highlighting police brutality and in particular relating to racism.

"Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"

Is basically about police turning a blind eye or ignoring crimes of a racial manner – the burning crosses is a Klu Klux Klan reference.

That or it's about being an oppressed 13 year old being made to tidy your room! 😀

MrAgreeable

Yes, because by buying a download and giving some money to Apple and Sony (the latter being the parent company of Simon Cowell's record company) you're really telling them where to go. 🙄

Fat Simon has always struck me as an eminently punchable bloke, but on the other hand he's a provider of light entertainment, not some tyrannical despot. And RATM epitomise a feeble pre-packaged version of rebellion. As the singer from New model Army said, the lyrics might just as well be "f–k you I won't tidy my bedroom".

Mind you, it would be ruddy brilliant to have a sweary Christmas number 1. 🙂

twinklydave

Aren't Epic (the company RATM were signed to) and Sony BMG (Simon Cowell's record company) all related anyway?

Alternatively, read what Mr Agreeable wrote at the same time as me, as it's more eloquent. D'oh 😳

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh! proper individualty! lets all buy some sony supported pseudo anarchic single cos facebook tells us too! whooooooooooo

pjt. joe **** face mcelderry's single is 29p as well so i'd wager you are wrong!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I find this more hilarious to partake in because I find it just highlights how irrelevant the charts are.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

YOU NEED TO BUY IT if you haev any faith in idependent music!

Which of course RATM are. Very independent. They stick it to the man by being part of Sony BMG – just like Simon Cowell and the X Factor single.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Mind you, it would be ruddy brilliant to have a sweary Christmas number 1

Reason alone. go buy it

xc-steve
    Free Member

@pjt201 the tracks to do count, as its apparently how much Amazon bought it for initially not how much their selling it on for.

With Live, Explicit and Censored versions, you can easily by 3 copies!

MrAgreeable

Aren't Epic (the company RATM were signed to) and Sony BMG (Simon Cowell's record company) all related anyway?

They are one and the same. In fairness, RATM do have a pretty good track record of biting the hand that feeds them, and there are worse groups around. I didn't buy their album when it came out, but I did tape it off my mate. 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

10 million x factor voters on sunday night.

10 million! in one night

80,000 people in the facebook group for RATM over the space of about 3 weeks.

you go girls! but you better buy a few copies each if you want it to be number one!

samuri
    Free Member

They stick it to the man by being part of Sony BMG – just like Simon Cowell and the X Factor single.

As mentioned on the other thread. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong), that not only do they all work for Sony, but Cowell actually owns the rights to this particular song.

satsoma
    Free Member

But you will do what Facebook, Sony BMG and the internet tells you to?

Yeah, you stick it to the man, brother.

It's a joke. It's a lyric from the song.

I wasn't actually trying to imply I was leading a revolution against Simon Cowell – it was a play on words.

pjt201
    Free Member

tracknicko

check page 5 of this: http://www.theofficialcharts.com/docs/Official%20UK%20Singles%20Chart%20Rules%20August%202009.pdf

40p, so not much of amazon counts…

tracknicko
    Free Member

think xc steve had a pop at answering it.

i dont know the rules mate, but it would suggest that amazon didnt count towards the charts? maybe a better facebook group would be to get all the x factor fans to buy their single cheap from amazon then?

then you'd need less RATM supporters!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I can't help thinking that last time there was a sweary number one, it wqs excised from the charts in a panic and the number two was played instead. The establishment REALLY WAS worried.

Johnny was attacked and arrested for it, as I recall…

Rage Against "Tidying my room" indeed…

ourmaninthenorth

It's a joke. It's a lyric from the song.

Apols – I know the song well enough (I was 16 when it was released – it was my untidy bedroom anthem), so didn't appreciate you were just joking.

MrAgreeable

RATM have had their fair share of brushes with the establishment too, and punk quickly became a ridiculous parody of itself – RATM were practically parody to start with, which seems much more sensible for attracting attention to your messages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_Against_the_Machine#Political_views_and_activism

MrWoppit
    Free Member

and punk quickly became a ridiculous parody of itself – RATM were practically parody to start withm, which seems much more sensible for attracting attention to your messages.

So… – what's your point, exactly?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

maybe we all should be buying Dead Kennedy's Holiday in Cambodia?

MrAgreeable

MrWoppit, you seem to be under the impression that the major label pop music you sicked up on your mates to in 1978 is somehow more subversive than its 1992 equivalent.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

sicked up on your mates to

I've no idea what that means.

GSTQ was released in 1977.

There certainly seemed to be a lot of reaction at the time – arrests, a beating in the street for the lead singer, BBC panic attacks and so forth.

sq225917
    Free Member

Nice song, would make a funny xmas number 1.

Way better than a cover from the loins of Billy-ray Cyrus's first born…

Bimbler
    Free Member

10 million x factor voters on sunday night.

10 million! in one night

80,000 people in the facebook group for RATM over the space of about 3 weeks.

you go girls! but you better buy a few copies each if you want it to be number one!

From Popbitch –

Xmas Midweeks

Rage Against The Machine are Number 1 in today's midweeks – 10% ahead of Joe McElderry. (But Joe' CD single doesn't come out til Wednesday).

tomdebruin
    Free Member

who is this Joe character?

MrAgreeable

Mr Woppit – Member

There certainly seemed to be a lot of reaction at the time – arrests, a beating in the street for the lead singer, BBC panic attacks and so forth.

RATM have generated similar levels of reaction throughout their career (and have stronger links with political activism than just swearing a bit on the telly, or buggering off to South America to make a rubbish record with Ronnie Biggs). I guarantee that if they do get to number 1 there will be a furore in some quarters (although most of the media these days are too hip to get genuinely upset).

I don't like their music particularly or the way they're marketed, but the idea that people have forgotten how to rebel is false IMO – this X-Factor bollocks just isn't a particularly good example of it.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I belive RATM are also mountain bikers. One of the album sleeves thanks "XTR Rear Mechs".

Might need verifying, that one.

glenh
    Free Member

Rage Against The Machine are Number 1 in today's midweeks – 10% ahead of Joe McElderry. (But Joe' CD single doesn't come out til Wednesday).

Who buys CD singles these days? Certainly not people who buy x-factor rubbish.

tracknicko
    Free Member

bimbler.

awesome stat.

RATM are ahead. but joe's single isnt out yet. and there's only 10% in it.

brilliant!

Ewok
    Free Member

the amazon one does count apparently. The facebook group lot did some digging, and the official line is that amazon buy it for 40p, and take an 11p hit on it.

and if you guys read the info on the group, you'd see that it's nothing personal against simon cowel (although he has had a few digs at the group), but its simply trying to get xfactor away from xmas number one and shake things up a bit. no one cares if some money from this finds its way into simons pockets.

They are also raising a lot of money for shelter in the process, doing a danm good job I think, best thing facebook has helped people achieve all year, even if it doesn't get the no 1 slot.

vanilla83
    Free Member

I can't be bothered to read this thread but you're all idiots*.

You know who RATM are signed to? And you know who owns Epic?

Has it even crossed your mind that this is a very very good marketing ploy to make more people buy even more cds at xmas? No?

*the ones buying it that is and those ones who are members of the facebook group (especially Gary)

glenh
    Free Member

Who cares if it's a marketing ploy?
    I suggest it's you sir, who are the idiot.

Which would I rather have? Crap xfactor shite being played all the time or RATM (+ some money to shelter). Mmmmmm let me think…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Rage Against The Machine’ is closed to new replies.