Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Problem with homeplugs and new fibre router – IT help, please!?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Recently changed to plusnet fibre from an old BT homehub (the big white one).

I have a TP link PA211 homeplug connected by ethernet into the router and tp link homeplug wifi repeater in an extension. I set the homeplug to the same settings as the main router so that all my devices would see it as a seamless network. Exactly how it was with the BT homehub.

Problem is the homeplug connects then constantly drops out. I have a smart tv in the extension and can’t use the smart bit. but also my phone or ipad won’t stay connected. The main wifi router is fine – no issues at all.

I didn’t have any problems with the old bt router.

Any ideas or things to test?

z1ppy

Not come across homeplugs that you configure, and they only thing that come to mind is the signal channel? Are they both on the same one? (if so, try changing it?)

Milkie
    Free Member

IP addresses in the same range, Subnet, Gateway, DNS, all correct for all the devices that connect to the Plusnet Fibre hub?

Cougar

Shot in the dark as I’ve never set these things up but, how have you set the IP addresses? If you’ve done it manually in the same range as the DHCP scope, you might have something else with the same address.

Flaperon

Homeplugs and VDSL operate on much the same frequencies and one will interfere with the other surprisingly easily.

You’ll probably notice your fibre speed start to fall over the next few days due to the increased error rate.

And yes, I know BT sells and recommends Homeplugs but even their special ones would wipe out my DSL connection, possibly caused by further interference from next door.

Buy an 802.11ac router instead.

brassneck

Depends where the issue is, which can be hard to tell.

If it works but is intermittent, check none of the powerline adaptors are plugged into a smoothing/filtering type extension. If you can lower the MTU on the powerline it can also help – would usually default to 1500, try 1420 and bump it up bit by bit.

Also take any DECT phones nearby, and remove the batteries and try again. They can really screw up wifi reception. Microwave ovens are another good one.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Sorry am a bit of an IT numpty, I know a little bit but not a lot!

What are DECT phones?

Plaperon – are you suggesting that i replace the plusnet router with an 802.11AC router?

And stupid question no 3: VDSL – is this fibre broadband?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Problem with homeplugs and new fibre router – IT help, please!?’ is closed to new replies.