Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike box logistics for Tour Divide ride?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Fingers crossed my boss will approve my 6 week leave request for me to go cycle the TD in Late July.

Whilst I have the list of gear I intend to take, I am struggling to work out the logistics of getting my bike box from canada down to the finish.

I know a few people on STW have done this ride, so I would be grateful if you could elaborate how you overcame this hurdle.

Thanks in advance

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t you just find a shipping company and send it as a parcel to a hotel or Mailboxes Etc near the end?

Or just ride back and pick it up 😉

pete68
    Free Member

Fly to the start with the bike in a cardboard box that you can get from your lbs. Then just go to a bike shop when you finish and get a another bike box from them. I’m assuming here that you don’t mean a proper bike box/bag.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Plan was to take a proper bike box, so as to ensure my trusty steed survives the flight

pete68
    Free Member

A proper cardboard bike box with lots of padding will be fine. After all that’s how bikes arrive at you shop and are sent from the far east usually. Pretty sure this is how people who are doing long distance point to point events do it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

After all that’s how bikes arrive at you shop and are sent from the far east usually.

Packed really tight with lots of extra cardboard and spacers, with a load of other boxes all the same size in a container normally. Not the same as 1 bike on a plane.

For a proper box I’d look at a ship & store company or a ship to a friendly hotel/shop

pete68
    Free Member

Ok. But my suggestion is what most people doing this sort of thing do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike box logistics for Tour Divide ride?’ is closed to new replies.