Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Problem with Binge Drinking
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Am I?

I would say so yes.

AA won’t want to know, you’re not the right fit.

And you replied…..

You think someone that binge drinks on the weekend should go to AA?

Which is the exact opposite of what he said.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you have health, family or any issues caused by drink, then I’d say you have a problem. Whether you actually ‘qualify’ as an alcoholic is irrelevant really…

Best of luck OP.

johndoh
    Free Member

midday boozing!! slippery slope…

Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner

(I know, it’s wrong but my wife keeps saying it’s that way around and I have admitted defeat in standing up for Breakfast, Dinner, Tea’).

🙂

mahalo

🙂 i work down south, i have to cope with it every day!

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Update:

So I’ve not had a single drink single I posted this originally.  Maybe two sips of wine to taste it before it went into a sauce, spat bol, but basically nothing.

And I don’t miss it.  It was a little difficult to start with – probably first couple of months.  I tried cordials to start with, but most were too fizzy. Then I started working through the non-alcoholic section in Tescos.  Each one less awful than the last!

I’ve realised I don’t miss the alcohol (and certainly not the hangovers).  But that I really like the taste of beer.  So far I’ve found:

Almost all non-alcoholic wines are awful – grape juice

Heineken zero is very refreshing at Schipol Airport (as opposed to normal Heineken which is just a waste of time).

Flat Tire is pretty good as a hoppy lager

Adnams Ghost Ship Zero is excellent, if a little pricey for a tax-free drink.

Waitrose does not do non-alcoholic (the middle aged women I asked in the shop looked at me in horror and confusion!)

I’ve been to a few parties and weddings since I’ve stopped and not missed it all.  I’ve realised that my dad’s drinking buddies down the pub are all complete helmets.

A lot of the discussion and points here really helped.  I’ve still got Christmas to get through, but I’m not worried about that or the future at all.  So thank you everyone for your help!

Cougar

Very well done, and thanks for checking back in.

leffeboy

Thats awesome

Apart from the ‘spat bol’ , that doesn’t sound awesome, at all

ransos
    Free Member

Nice one!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome, well done.

Haven’t had any since last day of holiday, 5th July, really because I’ve been training for lots of running races, culminating in half marathon on Sunday, the extra energy and awesome sleep are brilliant. And saving a fortune.

As above, thanks for the update.

scaredypants

well done woodlikes !

Adnams sell online – may be cheaper

drydrinker.com has a shitload of low/zero beers, wines, “cocktails”.  Course, some are utterly shit but others really quite nice (mikkeller’s drinkinthesun is ded hoppy and fairly expensive and I like it but don’t really rate some of their other beers)

sbob
    Free Member

From someone that drinks far too much, a very well done.

Drac

Excellent stuff well done.

nealglover
    Free Member

Awesome update.

After reading the op to refresh my memory, I skipped to the back page REALLY hoping it wasn’t posted from a bedsit having been hoofed out of the family home 😳

Nice work, and keep it up 👍

davros

Well done dude! I did 3 months straight dry last year, and a few single months this year. The 3 month break was enough to change my habits so I’ve since been much more mindful about the booze, which makes binges rare these days – the hangovers aren’t worth it!

blader1611
    Free Member

Very well done fella and thanks for the update. is everything ok with the wife and kids now?

butcher

Awesome. I’m similar. I can have a few drink in the house (although that becomes quite habitual too). But once I’m in the pub, come 2am I’ll be dragging people into nightclubs. I envy those who can actually go out and have just a few drinks and be in bed by 11. So I very rarely go out. Much prefer to be feeling fresh in the morning and doing some good weekend activities.

globalti
    Free Member

Ask a medic to explain about the damage binge drinking does to the liver. My best buddy at Uni was a binge drinker, he couldn’t go to the pub or a rugby match without getting slaughtered and he died of liver failure at the age of 41 leaving a young son and new wife. I miss him very badly.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Thanks for the report back!

Well donne!

kaiser
    Free Member

I binge drank whenever possible for 30+ yrs ..initially for recreational purposes then self medicating  for depression  and anxiety .Eventually after losing my parents and all interest in life I stepped up a gear and ended up having an emergency admission to hospital 21 months ago where I was detoxed. I would have been left to die if it wasn’t for the fact my brother is a doctor and using contacts got me taken in ..it’s not what they normally do these days apparently ..you are supposed to carry on drinking and wait months for treatment ( something that i was too ill to do ..my blood was in a mess due to consuming up to 25 pints of stella a day  or copious amounts of whatever incl spirits. I have remained drink free ever since , lost 25kg , got fit and no longer have any urges. Very lucky really ..on this journey I met several who have died with a  far smaller intake.  Nip it in the bud now would be my advice or face the likelihood of an unhappy and or short life not forgetting the negative effects it is already having on your family which will only get worse. Good luck.

oh ..just seen you have had success ..well done and keep it up!

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Problem with Binge Drinking’ is closed to new replies.