Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Probably been done – Contador hearing postponed
  • dawson

lights touch paper and retires to a safe distance….

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/13208541.stm

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So he can go to the TDF before he is banned? Utter farce

Junkyard
    Free Member

thems the rules
    Bet TdF are delighted …bet they miss the good old days of armstrong

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fantastic! Hope he wins! 😀

dawson

it will be all they talk about for the duration of the race… 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if the TDF organisers find some excuse to stop him entering IIRC there is precedent

crikey
    Free Member

Golden geese, etc.

aracer
    Free Member

Does his ban officially start when he gave the +ve test, not when he’s finally found guilty? So that means if he gets a 1 year ban he loses all his results for the year, but never actually has to miss a race?

We have the ludicrous situation where he could “win” both the Giro and Tour before being stripped of the titles (and last year’s TdF) when he’s finally found guilty. If CAS invite me for a drunken trip round a brewery I suspect I might give it a miss.

bigG
    Free Member

Scandalous, can’t believe the UCI spend so much energy bitching and moaning about rider’s position on the bike and bike modifications but won’t step up and deal with this doping cheat.

Down with this sort of thing,,

donsimon
    Free Member

I guess the prosecution haven’t had time to build a strong enough case. There must be someone out there who knows the truth.

Wada adopts a zero-tolerance policy towards the drug, though its rules allow athletes to escape a sanction if they prove “no fault or negligence” on their part.

So that means if he gets a 1 year ban he loses all his results for the year, but never actually has to miss a race?

That would an interesting thought, “drug cheat” banned for two years, yet kicks everyone’s asses during the first year in the Giro and TdF when he’s clearly clean. 😕 Or are you saying that he’s cheating now?

nicko74

Or are you saying that he’s cheating now?

uh… no comment. But have you seen what’s doing on the Giro d’Italia?!

disco_stu
    Free Member

isn’t the TDF an invite only event?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Invitation is for teams though, no? Up to them who they choose to ride for them.

Here’s a thought; what if he is actually entirely innocent, and not a ‘cheat’ at all. Y’know, like that poor Scottish ski-ist, Alain Baxter, who was entirely innocent yet served a ban anyway and had to give his Olympic bronze medal back?

So, the Glen Butronol was on the meat from an inhaler one of the team staff was using, and the plasticizers from the packaging. Possible, no?

I’m sure if it were someone like Wiggo or that spoilt toddler face sprinter, loads of people on here would be protesting their innocence…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Invitation is for teams though, no?

This is true. Although they can, and have applied pressure in the past and stating that various individuals are not welcome. Although given Contador’s profile and current ‘innocent’ status I don’t think they will single him out. I imagine Prudhomme is right royally pissed off though. Will be interesting to see how a TdF crowd treat him.

I guess the prosecution haven’t had time to build a strong enough case.

Looks like it’s the other way around. From cycling news.
    “It appears that Contador’s legal team had sought an extension of a CAS deadline for the delivery of defence documentation.”

oddjob
    Free Member

The plasticiser is not relevent because there is no recognised test for it so the only issue is the clenbuterol which was in such tiny quantities that it is hard to prove that it was from anything other than food.

I don’t believe he is/was clean, but the only charge is the clenbuterol and it cannot be 100% proven that it was not from the meat ergo it is not beyond reasonable doubt that he took it intentionally.

As far as I can see the question is only whether or not the Spanish federation were right to drop the suspension or if he should get a year and there is precident for both things happening IIRC.

geoffj

or that spoilt toddler face sprinter

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No but he is though Geoff. 😐

geoffj

Dunno what you could possibly mean

bikebouy
    Free Member

You talking about Frodo?

There are some pics of both him and Bertie on CN in the thread called “Contadors Head” It goes on about HGH intake and facial feature changes.. It’s quite hilarious.

As for Bert, wel He’ll do the TdF, the race needs the publicity..hahahaha

scaredypants

Sulky Toddler’s consistency (poor climbing, fast sprinting, even petulance) – “clean” is my guess

Wiggo’s remarkable fluctuations in form – 😕

Contador – 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t believe he is/was clean, but the only charge is the clenbuterol and it cannot be 100% proven that it was not from the meat ergo it is not beyond reasonable doubt that he took it intentionally.

you cannot prove a negative. For example you cannot prove that elvis did not break into his bedroom and sabotage the results using a hot dog and a compromising sexual act etc.However it does seems unlikey.
    What we really should expect is some proof of the claim rather than us having to prove his claim is a lie.
    Therefore can we see the receipt from the Butcher, name of butcher, why he went there to get the meat , why only he ate the meat, why he did not test it, why with the doping agent banned in EU food only he ingested it from tainted Spanish meat etc. He cannot provide any evidence to support this and still needs more time one year later. TBH makes a farce of the sport should have been like baxter ban with [possibly] limited culpability rather than this – will will events then probably/possibly be stripped as a cheat – just what the sport needs.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What we really should expect is some proof of the claim rather than us having to prove his claim is a lie.

What, so like the opposite of normal Law then? Guilty until proven innocent? Why are so many (outside Spain) so mistrusting of his explanation?

Kolo Toure has received a 6-month ban for taking diet pills. Cheating, or a silly mistake?

Junkyard
    Free Member

So if I test positive for alcohol at the side of the road the police need to prove I had actually had a drink ? Can I call you as my expert witness?

Toure was a silly mistake but he did not deny it and gave a plausible account he could back up unlike Contador.
    Why are so many inside Spain so trusting of the explanation of their number one cycling star?
    I dont believe him because he has given no evidence to support his account.
    I can see why, given the small amounts, that this leads people to doubt it was a deliberate cheat [ there were plasticers found but not recognised test for this] but I am not fully convinced tbh- neither is WADA or the UCI
    One year later he still cant present his case ..must be paper thin IMHO

donsimon
    Free Member

Am I starting to see a change in strategy fom the hang him brigade? Are we now forced to attack him from any preceivable angle?
    Why not just wait for the CAS ruling?

Here’s something to clutch while we’re waiting.

The only farce will be the desperate attempts to prove his guilt if he is proven innocent.

So if I test positive for alcohol at the side of the road the police need to prove I had actually had a drink ? Can I call you as my expert witness?

And just to complete the circle, no-one has ever escaped a ban because of accidental ingestion of alcohol?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What, so like the opposite of normal Law then? Guilty until proven innocent?

Not really, he’s innocent until a non naturally occurring chemical with proven performance enhancing properties is found in his system at which point the onus is then on him to explain how it got there. The common consensus is that a ban ensues which by default I believe is two years, the duration of the ban can be reduced if there are extenuating circumstances.

There was a similar case involving a Chinese ride for the radioshack team. He received a straight up two year ban from the Chinese governing body. This is normal, Contador’s case is the exception.

aracer
    Free Member

Am I starting to see a change in strategy fom the hang him brigade?

How so? The point has always been that he’s been proven to have the drug in his system, so he has to prove he took it unknowingly in order to get leniency. What do you think people are suggesting different?

You do appreciate the delay is due to desperate attempts by his defence to find some form of evidence now they’re faced with a court which actually asks for some?

Here’s a thought; what if he is actually entirely innocent, and not a ‘cheat’ at all. Y’know, like that poor Scottish ski-ist, Alain Baxter, who was entirely innocent yet served a ban anyway and had to give his Olympic bronze medal back?

At best he’s only as innocent as Baxter, yet so far has escaped even the sanction he got.

FWIW I’d love Contador to be truly innocent, it’s just that all the available info suggests otherwise.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DS he failed a test and one year later still cant presnt his defence …how string that must be and yet you accuse others of clutching at straws
    Loot at Toure he did not play a game till the decision was made and look at Contador. Whatever the decision it makes the sport look like it does not take this sort of issue seriously
    DS we debated all the evidence you presented on test before – only cyclist with same agent had a doctors note etc
    Lets just wait for CAS which may be along wait

MS
    Free Member

Agree totally stupid. If he wins the tour, which looking at his form in the GIRO, is a strong possibility, then is found to be guilty gets stripped of the TDF and Giro crown. Nobody remembers the second place man, and they dont want to win it through the rider ahead of them being stripped fo it.

This issue needs to be sorted out quicker, and contador should not be able to race until it does, but due to the fact it takes so long, it would be unfair if he hadn’t been allowed to race if he is to get away with it.

And as previously said, this will be all they talk about in the tour. Well done UCI, once again you have shown that you can deal with things swiftly and correctly!

Anyway lets hope Andy or Frank S get the win in the tour!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

contador should not be able to race until it does

What if he is eventually proven innocent though?

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Nobody remembers the second place man”

Too true

Oscar Pereiro anyone..

damo2576
    Free Member

I remember him!

thebunk

No other sport allows drug verdicts to drag on this long. Whether you think he is innocent or guilty, you have to agree that it’s a massive embarrassment for the sport.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What if he is eventually proven innocent though?

he cannot be found innocent – he failed both tests so he is guilty- but he can be exonerated.
    As said above it discredits the sport massively to allow someone who has failed a drug test to continue participating- not toure did not play for example. It also looks like the authorities of a sport tainted by drug use turn a blind eye to positive drug tests. The default position, following a failed test of a and b samples, should be a ban till a decision is reached and a decision within a certain time frame.
    Whatever the final outcome the sport is being further damaged by this scenario.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok – every single thread about Contador or even pro roadie cycling ends up with the EXACT same posts in it all the time.

Why are we doing it?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Cos it’s fun! 😀

pjt201
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    The default position, following a failed test of a and b samples, should be a ban till a decision is reached and a decision within a certain time frame.

I agree, which is why this case stinks so much. They had the results for quite a long time before they were leaked to the press and then REFCE took an age to make a decision (which they seemingly changed at the last minute from a year ban to nothing). I think WADA and the UCI had no option but to contest REFCEs decision, which shows massive naivety on REFCEs part (unless they felt they had to give no ban as the Prime Minister had got involved and suggested Contador was innocent and they receive government funding…).

roper
    Free Member

I think it discredits the rules more than cycling or even Contador.
    Still even if you think he has cheated you must admit riding under the pressure he must have must be difficult enough but dropping the rest of the riders at the turn of his head is simply outstanding.

donsimon
    Free Member

Junkyard, this is the key point, and I don’t care what your point of view or what TJ chooses to highlight or ignore.

Wada adopts a zero-tolerance policy towards the drug, though its rules allow athletes to escape a sanction if they prove “no fault or negligence” on their part.

I’m quite sure the BBC has got their facts right, that also comes from the same document that TJ pòsted earlier.
    Waiting for CAS… 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t care what your point of view

seems a bit pointless posting in a forum then to me would be much more convincing if you stopped.
    As WADA has taken it to CAS do you think they think this has been proved to their satisfaction in this case and they are happy with the decision 🙄 Poor argument to say WADA rules have been applied when they are appealing the decision – ie they clearly think he has not proved his case of no fault or negligence.
    Indeed lets wait for CAS for the case referred to them by WADA and the UCI

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don – you have to read the guidance that goes with that bit to understand – that is only if such cases as being spiked by a rival to get you banned. It specifically excludes accidental ingestion such as Contador claims

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Probably been done – Contador hearing postponed’ is closed to new replies.